ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 11, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,186 of 6,741
Ok, hmmm...this may get long-winded...I apologize in advance...I am a lurker on this site but I am more active on another...so this will be new...if this is inappropriate by all means remove and inform me =) I'll adjust my approach in the future if so...but something to know about me... I like good whiskey...and listening to headphones while imbibing. I find the synergy of whiskey, good music, and good audio gear to be sublime, and a way for me to wash away the stress of the day/week (depends on when I can get some time to imbibe along with listening). Ok enough backstory...Aeolus...some nice acoustic streaming tracks from Qobuz studio... and currently the Cayin Ha-1a MKII (I recently developed some feedback but nothing noticeable with tracks going, I'll find the culprit sooner or later). Whiskey I started with 2 fingers of Jefferson Ocean 16 with a small rock, I am now on 2 fingers of WhistlePig Rye straight up. I prefer the Jefferson, mild, sweet-salty caramel. The WhistlePig has an almost swamp water taste to it (not in a gross way more... well I guess no matter how you look at that statement that sounds gross :wink: but more in the earthy minerally watery way) it doesn't have the spice that most Rye has or any major sweetness, this could be due to having the Jefferson first and now the flavor profile of the WhistlePig is changed due to the sweetness of the Jefferson... I digress... (stupid ADHD and booze, they never seem to work for quick impressions)

Aeolus, the star of tonights show, sitting at around 30-40hrs of break-in listening time, and even without full break-in, I..am...addicted...Fs to the yeah lol. Acoustic tracks and vocals really shine on these, even some classical, just wow, the presence I'm feeling/getting from them...close your eyes and float kind of good!

Fur Elise in A Minor, WoO 59: performed by Dubravka Tomsic
  • This track is pianotastic! one of my all-time favorites, with the Aeolous I can hear the notes hang in the air...they can blend together due to this but overall amazing
Devil's Pie: performed by D'Angelo (this album is mastered really well)
  • all the cool intricacies happening, along with the very forward spoken word/singing...and that bass track with the electronic circling/dripping wow. The track isn't wide and feels very intimate. But imaging is excellent for me, at this stage :wink:
Terracentric: Performed by Rodrigo Y Gabriela
  • This track slams! I dare you to try and not nod your head along lol. The details I'm pulling with the Aeolus, string vibrations, palm thumps, fingers sliding on strings...Yes, please!
King(acoustic): by Slenderbodies
  • take the D'Angelo singing, and add the Rodrigo Y Gabriela light touch acoustics and bam! the whispered singing, all the backup instruments in the background, and the sliding of the strings. I really can get used to this, the Aeolus just presents very well...and slams when it needs to.
Trollabundin: by Eivor
  • Wow, I have listened to this track an epic butt ton on my other headphones...I think this is my favorite so far, the echoes of the singer, the presence F me...this is good! So much going on, and I pick up a lot of it in new ways (this is why I love having different headphones, so many cool things happen when you listen with different chains).
Grandpa's Groove: by Parov Stelar
  • This group is EDM/Swing/Bigband swingtastic! just fun to listen to... I sometimes turn off the volume to Cuphead and play Parov Stelar while trying to complete some boss fights. On the Aeolus just fun...un-abashed fun... I have a big grin going
Waiting in Vain: performed by Halie Loren
  • Jazzy, smokey, sweet, rich, fall asleep with a smile on your face good. She just has a great voice, the band feels in the background with the Aeolus...like it should with this track. The singer is in your ear singing to you.
Heartbeats (Live): Performed by The Knife
  • the audience, and overall performance, the cool thing about this track on the Aeolus is that the instruments are more forward, I feel like I'm sitting off center or "stage left" listening...that could just be the booze kicking in though...
I could go on...but I'm getting sleepy :wink: I listened to more songs than the above but, I think I've already walled off enough... I'll end with a nice track that has recently been one of my favorites

Drive by Fires: Performed by Ayla Nereo
  • I was trying to stick to Acoustic style tracks and vocal forward tracks. This track is a nice end to the night, ethereal especially with the background instruments, Violin, shakers, snares? hmm, lots going on here...and my brain is good and fuzzy so I think it is time to get some shut eye.
Hopefully, this was a fun read, and my stream of conscious of one of many short (too short) sessions with the Aeolus, wasn't annoying, or too much. I really can't get over how beautiful the Aeolus Ziricote is, I've attached a couple of pictures of my nighttime pairing for this session.
Cheers everyone!

I like your style.

May 11, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,188 of 6,741
Beautiful People - Rusted Root

This song is perfect, with the Aeolus, and my system!

Tidal hifi + Gumby + Liquid Platinum w/ Brimar CV2492 tubes + Aeolus = Perfection

Rusted Root, is my all time favorite band, and I saw them at a small venue, years ago. I was lucky enough to be standing front row / center stage, and I am right there again. I am freaking crying, this is so real and lifelike! Stunning, what these headphones can do! The voices, are perfect, as is everything else. Thank you ZMF!

Wait, your favorite band isn't the Crash Test Dummies?!?!?!

May 11, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,190 of 6,741
Sorry for the late pic! I could not take these off, my head last night, they are so good! These are beautiful, and the grain is popping! Back to the music. . .
20190510_154811_zpszugpagna.jpg

Beautiful, congrats!

May 11, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,191 of 6,741
@Darthpool , thanks for the intro to some interesting new (to me) music!

May 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,193 of 6,741
Another couple songs, that just blew my mind, with Aeolus!

Laugh as The Sun - Rust Root

Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers

A pattern is emerging, from my going through my music library, Folk Rock sounds incredible, with the Aeolus.

Ah, the magic synergy of ZMF Dynamics and acoustic music. I think it has something to do with the combination of Zach’s warm house sound, the wooden cups adding a touch of smoky reverb, and the fact that Zach built acoustic instruments and plays folk music (someday maybe I can tell you how well when we finally get to jam). Also the Aeolus and Atticus TPE driver has massive thump and is very forgiving like a plastic flatpick. Listen to American Beauty or Workingman’s Dead MQA through Tidal if you like Jerry with your Aeolus, Wes. More tears impending.

May 11, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,194 of 6,741
Ah, the magic synergy of ZMF Dynamics and acoustic music. I think it has something to do with the combination of Zach’s warm house sound, the wooden cups adding a touch of smoky reverb, and the fact that Zach built acoustic instruments and plays folk music (someday maybe I can tell you how well when we finally get to jam). Also the Aeolus and Atticus TPE driver has massive thump and is very forgiving like a plastic flatpick. Listen to American Beauty or Workingman’s Dead MQA through Tidal if you like Jerry with your Aeolus, Wes. More tears impending.
Qobuz has Studio masters edition of it in 24/96

May 11, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,195 of 6,741
I've been letting the Aeolus sit overnight and all day burning in...so I should be somewhere around the 50-60hr range of burn-in listening time. I only have a 30min window to get some relaxation in. Poured two sniffers of some new bourbon (High West Prairie, and Willets Still Pot Reserve) about a finger and a half each. I also switched to my BHC...I enjoy the BHC, but I think the Aeolus does better with the Cayin Ha-1a MKII at this point in brain burn-in, and mechanical burn-in =)

Acoustic and vocal forward tracks really do shine with the Aeolus. I think the extra dozen hours of burn-in are ever so noticeable...slightly more resolving...warmth is more in control...ok enough picking it apart...time to relax =) I'll be traveling for a week =( I'll miss my Aeolus...*sniff-sniff* "I'm okay, really...dusty in here or something..."

May 12, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #1,196 of 6,741
looking forward to the comparison bewteen Clear and Aeolus

Not a fair comparison at this point...I meant to relax and just listen but figured I would put a quick comparison together, as I said that I would =). Now to be fair the Aeolus is only about halfway through break-in time, and really isn't trying to compete with the Clears. I wrote this before doing the comparison :wink:

Tracks used (Qobuz studio streaming):

Queen (acoustic): performed by Slenderbodies

• Holy smokes, I think that I have to give it to the Aeolus...I honestly wasn't expecting that...it has a just right there tone, with more warmth, imaging is slightly better, more enjoyable on the Aeolus...props to ZMF!!
Copland: Rodeo: IV. Hoe-Down: performed by Leonard Bernstein?

• Throw a complicated classic into the mix...lots of things going on here (one of my favorite tracks)...I was not expecting this but I think it is subjectively a draw...call it new shiny complex...mmm...ziricote... wait what were we talking about?!?...oh yea :wink: but seriously...Aeolus is warmer, but imaging and staging are slightly wider..but spot on with the Clears. It is a toss up with this track...I could go either way...but I will say the Clears did seem to have the edge in that they pulled me closer to the orchestra, where the Aeolus gave me the feeling of sitting center row middle to the back of the room.
The Real: Performed by Busty and the Bass
  • Clears have more "crispness" to them, less warmth, vocals are not as "gooey". Aeolus feels smoother...
Up All Night (Acoustic Live Album Music in High Places): Unwritten Law
  • This track can be a bit muddy sounding, I think I have to give it to the Clears on this one. The extra "crispness" helps with resolution. But the Aeolus has better vocal presence and warmth...but for me, the extra sparkle from the Clears pushes them ahead.
Ok, bedtime, early morning flight =) Also these were not easy to volume match... so that probably colored some of this a/b =) But for me, at the end of the day, both headphones are worth keeping around =) they are surprisingly close... The Clears have been my go-to for a while now...and I think the Aeolus just pushed them off that pedestal.

IMG_20190511_210103.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,197 of 6,741
Not a fair comparison at this point...I meant to relax and just listen but figured I would put a quick comparison together, as I said that I would =). Now to be fair the Aeolus is only about halfway through break-in time, and really isn't trying to compete with the Clears. I wrote this before doing the comparison :wink:

Tracks used (Qobuz studio streaming):

Queen (acoustic): performed by Slenderbodies

• Holy smokes, I think that I have to give it to the Aeolus...I honestly wasn't expecting that...it has a just right there tone, with more warmth, imaging is slightly better, more enjoyable on the Aeolus...props to ZMF!!
Copland: Rodeo: IV. Hoe-Down: performed by Leonard Bernstein?

• Throw a complicated classic into the mix...lots of things going on here (one of my favorite tracks)...I was not expecting this but I think it is subjectively a draw...call it new shiny complex...mmm...ziricote... wait what were we talking about?!?...oh yea :wink: but seriously...Aeolus is warmer, but imaging and staging are slightly wider..but spot on with the Clears. It is a toss up with this track...I could go either way...but I will say the Clears did seem to have the edge in that they pulled me closer to the orchestra, where the Aeolus gave me the feeling of sitting center row middle to the back of the room.
The Real: Performed by Busty and the Bass
  • Clears have more "crispness" to them, less warmth, vocals are not as "gooey". Aeolus feels smoother...
Up All Night (Acoustic Live Album Music in High Places): Unwritten Law
  • This track can be a bit muddy sounding, I think I have to give it to the Clears on this one. The extra "crispness" helps with resolution. But the Aeolus has better vocal presence and warmth...but for me, the extra sparkle from the Clears pushes them ahead.
Ok, bedtime, early morning flight =) Also these were not easy to volume match... so that probably colored some of this a/b =) But for me, at the end of the day, both headphones are worth keeping around =) they are surprisingly close... The Clears have been my go-to for a while now...and I think the Aeolus just pushed them off that pedestal.

i am guessing the Aeolus is more emotional? which has more detail tho? Clear?

May 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,199 of 6,741
Unfortunately we're using bopp frontal mesh that won't allow a view of the driver. I'm taking a bunch of pics and vide for upcoming videos we will be releasing about our builds. Let me grab some photos for everyone asap of all the cool stuff.

I was swapping pads with my Aeolus and Verite the other day, and was surprised to find the Aeolus had a filter over the driver. The Verite does not, which is what I remember seeing in pictures of other ZMF headphones during a pad swap. Is the filter normal for the Aeolus, or is that something I can take off to adjust sound?

20190510_134133.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back