ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 16, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #1,216 of 6,741
I've owned Aeolus for 3 months now and I just received the universe perf suede pads yesterday. What I immediately noticed was less bass quantity, wider soundstage, more forward mids but more airy at the same time, and more treble sparkle. I can't say that these are better or worse than stock aeolus pads, but rather, different. I will be using both pairs of pads interchangeably from now on. Thanks @BooUrns and @zach915m for taking care of me!
20190515_162920.jpg

May 16, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,217 of 6,741
I am around the 50 hour mark, and have had some more head time with these babies, and man they continue to impress! All listening has been done with the Liquid Platinum and Gumby. I am getting a feel for this system, for a while and then I am going to try them on the Bottlehead Crack. I am a big fan of the ZMF Ori, and I am really digging how the Aeolus, compliments them. First off, the bass on the Aeolus, almost hits as hard as the Ori, and that is impressive, and I did not think they would hit so hard, being open back, but man what a nice surprise. The imaging is fantastic, and everything is very well balanced, with no distortion. Another thing, that really stands out, is how they fit, my super small head. To put in to perspective, I wear a 6 3/4 hat size, and have always struggled with fitting things on my head. I went with the suede headband and strap, and these headphones fit my head like a glove, and just float on my head. Every time I put these headphones on and start jamming, I can't sit still, and literally start moving to the music, even at 4am this morning! The Aeolus are keepers for sure, and I am already thinking about selling a few headphones, that are going to get neglected. :o2smile:
I have a correction to make to my last post. I had a late night listening session with my babies, last night, and WOW! I was wrong about the bass of the Aeolus hitting almost as hard as the Ori, it actually hits as hard or harder, and I think my pair finally got burned in. The bass from the Aeolus is insane, as is everything else! I literally have been standing up and dancing while wearing them, because I feel like I am there with the musicians jamming out. Within a several seconds of any song playing, I almost go into a trance and start floating inside the music, if that makes any sense. These headphones put me in the zone, and I just can't stop listening. . .

May 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,218 of 6,741
Were somewhere around 35 aeolus behind and shipping around 10 a week - so about 3 - 5 weeks behind as a safe bet. We should be caught up soon.

We use bopp mesh as a frontal filter, we used to use acoustex paper but found the bopp steel mesh does the same thing and although more expensive, is much more stable as it's steel. If you want the headphone brighter you can definitely take it off. I will actually be making a video soon to show the process of installing and removing it.

The downside of the bopp mesh vs the acoustex, is that because it's extremely finely woven steel it dents easily, don't worry it won't affect sound!

Personally I wouldn't recommend removing the mesh unless you find the headphone too dark with any of the pads we offer, most tastes can be accommodated via an earpad swap imho.

If I order next week, roughly when might I receive it?

Will be away from end June till end July, pity if my Aeolus just sits at customs awaiting collection =\

May 16, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,219 of 6,741
If I order next week, roughly when might I receive it?

Will be away from end June till end July, pity if my Aeolus just sits at customs awaiting collection =\

We're down to 29 orders in the queue!

I hope to have every current order fulfilled by the end of the month or first week of June, I may be slightly optimistic - but I realize we just need to buckle down and get these done.

Estimate is 3-6 weeks, ordering now will almost surely get them to you before end of June.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,220 of 6,741

I hope to have every current order fulfilled by the end of the month or first week of June, I may be slightly optimistic - but I realize we just need to buckle down and get these done.

Estimate is 3-6 weeks, ordering now will almost surely get them to you before end of June.

That is fantastic news. I presume the Verite will also reach me before end June as well?

Edit: are u referring to Sapele or Bubinga Aeolus..??

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,221 of 6,741

That is awesome Zach! You and your team are much appreciated, and the work you do is first class. I love how you do business.

May 17, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #1,224 of 6,741
how do u find the pairing with the lyr 3 and aeolus? or does jotunheim sound better?
They sound really good out of the Lyr 3, as I tried it last night for the first time. However, they sound incredible out of the Liquid Platinum, and they won't be going back to the Lyr 3. I think my Gumby does better balanced, so that could be a factor. The Bottlehead Crack, is next. . .

May 17, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,225 of 6,741
They sound really good out of the Lyr 3, as I tried it last night for the first time. However, they sound incredible out of the Liquid Platinum, and they won't be going back to the Lyr 3. I think my Gumby does better balanced, so that could be a factor. The Bottlehead Crack, is next. . .

Am considering Feliks Echo or CMA600i for Aeolus and LCD X

I really don’t know how the DAC is on the CMA; hard to upgrade if say I wanna change DAC or headphones in future

May 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #1,226 of 6,741
Am considering Feliks Echo or CMA600i for Aeolus and LCD X

I really don’t know how the DAC is on the CMA; hard to upgrade if say I wanna change DAC or headphones in future
Can't speak for the 600i, but I had a 400i and a buddy of mine compared it with his smsl su8 thx 789 setup and his LCD X and said the 400i was noticeably warmer sounding. Something he did not care for at all.

Also, my 400i died around the 1 year mark. And the customer service was not great.

Something around the 600i price mark that interests me is the rme adi 2 dac. Put a tube after it and you might be set!

May 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #1,227 of 6,741
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 17, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,228 of 6,741

I concur, Gungnir also sounds better when connected to my Jotunheim via XLR in my setup. It's the only amp I have tested with, as my La Figaro is SE only.

May 17, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,229 of 6,741
Hopefully I'll get some camera time sometime this weekend with the Aeolus, as for now...I'm just enjoying some bourbon, then I'll pour some Rye for fRYEday :wink: Listening to a nice eclectic mix of music and just enjoying =) ADI-2DAC-->BHC-->ZMF Aeolus
Standouts so far:

Call me in the afternoon: performed by Half Moon Run

Sit next to me(acoustic): performed by Foster the people

Salted Caramel: performed by Andrew Applepie

Run: performed by Harrison Storm

Two Weeks: Performed by The East Pointers

Jumping So High: Performed by Richard Houghten

This Too Shall Last: performed by Anderson East

TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME(acoustic): performed by St. Lucia

Time to put the daughter in the tub, and then bedtime...then some rye, and a little bit more of some music bliss.

May 17, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,230 of 6,741
Time to put the daughter in the tub, and then bedtime...then some rye, and a little bit more of some music bliss.
Reading this on mobile, and my eyes skipped half a line. I read "Time to put the daughter in the tub, and then some rye, and a little bit more of some music bliss."

I thought dude, you gotta take her out of the tub! No drunken kid bathing! Bad parent! Bad!

But then I reread it, and everything was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back