ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 18, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,231 of 6,720
Reading this on mobile, and my eyes skipped half a line. I read "Time to put the daughter in the tub, and then some rye, and a little bit more of some music bliss."

I thought dude, you gotta take her out of the tub! No drunken kid bathing! Bad parent! Bad!

But then I reread it, and everything was fine.

Ha, yeah no drunken parenting, my wife is being awesome and watching her and letting me have some whiskey and headphone time =) I couldn't do the IEMs anymore lol very happy to have the Suede universe pads on my head right now =)

May 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,233 of 6,720
hello, before i pull the trigger on aeolus may i gather some feedback as to exactly how "laidback" and relaxed sounding the aeolus is?

i find the HD650 to be slightly too relaxed and EQ 4khz up a little, also find LCD X to be v laidback; am i then making a mistake with aeolus or should i go with auteur instead?

on the other hand, joshua valour felt that the auteur was neutral sounding which i didn't like coming from LCD X which to me sounded "neutral"

May 18, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,234 of 6,720
hello, before i pull the trigger on aeolus may i gather some feedback as to exactly how "laidback" and relaxed sounding the aeolus is?

i find the HD650 to be slightly too relaxed and EQ 4khz up a little, also find LCD X to be v laidback; am i then making a mistake with aeolus or should i go with auteur instead?

on the other hand, joshua valour felt that the auteur was neutral sounding which i didn't like coming from LCD X which to me sounded "neutral"
The 650, were my first good pair of headphones years ago, and the Aeolus is everything I always wanted the 650 to be and more. The Aeolus improves on every aspect, that was lacking with the 650. Owning both headphones, and still do, I feel the Aeolus, is a perfect step up, from the 650.

May 18, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,235 of 6,720
The 650, were my first good pair of headphones years ago, and the Aeolus is everything I always wanted the 650 to be and more. The Aeolus improves on every aspect, that was lacking with the 650. Owning both headphones, and still do, I feel the Aeolus, is a perfect step up, from the 650.

i take it that to you, Aeolus is more forward sounding than 650 then?

May 18, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,237 of 6,720
@Focux I put the Verite pads on (flat pads) and the Aeolus definitely got more lively! More forward, more sparkle etc. The problem is I know we view things differently. If by chance you are in the Seattle area I would be happy to meet up and let you hear them so you could decide for yourself.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,238 of 6,720
I've only heard the Aeolus with stock pads, but if you want more forward than the 650 you might be barking up the wrong tree.

The Auteur would probably be more your speed unless alternate pads really make the Aeolus more aggressive.
No offense to @Focux, but he's asked so many vague questions I don't have a single clue what he actually wants from the sound anymore. He's said he thought the LCD-X was neutral, but before that said it was too laid back. He said the X was boring, but didn't elaborate well when asked to define boring. It gets more confusing as we go along.

Focux - If I were to suggest anything, it would be this: Read this completely. Pick the adjectives that describe your opinion of the LCD-X and HD650/600, as well as what you want to improve upon when upgrading to a ZMF headphone.

If you can't do that, then I'd suggest you buy the Aeolus with a couple different pads to swap between. It is the most versatile sounding depending on which pads you have on them, and the most flexible for amp pairings. I'd recommend the Auteur Suede Perf pads or Universe suede perf pads as a starting point.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,239 of 6,720
IMG_20190518_205152.jpg Burned in the Aeolus all day while at the Aquarium, with some friends and all the littles. I am now sitting around I think 80(ish) hours of burn-in. I have pad swapped a couple of times and I keep coming back to the amazing comfort of the Suede Universe pads. I do like the forward presence of the Verite pads, but there is just something special about the Suede Universe pads for me that has me coming back to them, they put me at ease. I decided to try and see if they could impart some of that Aeolus goodness to my Ol' Fashion :wink: whiskey a day keeps the doctor away after all (it's science! look it up :wink: )

Tonight I'm listening to Like a Version compilation of various artists while editing photos of the littles that were taken at the aquarium =)

May 19, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,240 of 6,720
I wouldn’t say the Aeolus is more forward than the 650, but a better headphone. This is a reasonable expectation since the Aeolus costs a lot more. I have both and the Aeolus is hands down a better headphone, as I expected for a lot more money.

May 19, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,241 of 6,720
I wouldn’t say the Aeolus is more forward than the 650, but a better headphone. This is a reasonable expectation since the Aeolus costs a lot more. I have both and the Aeolus is hands down a better headphone, as I expected for a lot more money.

could you go into more detail where the aeolus is better? I know it has better bass extension.

May 19, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,242 of 6,720
Better bass extension and detail, better punch in the mid-bass. Midrange is at least as good as the 650, I think even better. Treble is more detailed than the 650, but still not too prominent. The overall sound is more exciting and energetic without being fatiguing. That’s my basic opinion of Aeolus vs. 650.

May 19, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,243 of 6,720
I am around the 50 hour mark, and have had some more head time with these babies, and man they continue to impress! All listening has been done with the Liquid Platinum and Gumby. I am getting a feel for this system, for a while and then I am going to try them on the Bottlehead Crack. I am a big fan of the ZMF Ori, and I am really digging how the Aeolus, compliments them. First off, the bass on the Aeolus, almost hits as hard as the Ori, and that is impressive, and I did not think they would hit so hard, being open back, but man what a nice surprise. The imaging is fantastic, and everything is very well balanced, with no distortion. Another thing, that really stands out, is how they fit, my super small head. To put in to perspective, I wear a 6 3/4 hat size, and have always struggled with fitting things on my head. I went with the suede headband and strap, and these headphones fit my head like a glove, and just float on my head. Every time I put these headphones on and start jamming, I can't sit still, and literally start moving to the music, even at 4am this morning! The Aeolus are keepers for sure, and I am already thinking about selling a few headphones, that are going to get neglected. :o2smile:

I have a correction to make to my last post. I had a late night listening session with my babies, last night, and WOW! I was wrong about the bass of the Aeolus hitting almost as hard as the Ori, it actually hits as hard or harder, and I think my pair finally got burned in. The bass from the Aeolus is insane, as is everything else! I literally have been standing up and dancing while wearing them, because I feel like I am there with the musicians jamming out. Within a several seconds of any song playing, I almost go into a trance and start floating inside the music, if that makes any sense. These headphones put me in the zone, and I just can't stop listening. . .

This is exactly how I feel about the Aeolus.

I don’t find them laid back at all (maybe my tube amp/tubes adds to this?) and on the contrary I find them almost addictively fun to listen to ha. Like you, I put them on and it’s only a second or two before my toes would start to tap...

In the beginning of this hobby for me I never realized how much information there was in a good recording/file. So I think I got consumed with wanting more and more details thrown at me, since hearing good sound was new and fresh. Time went on, and now I’m at a point where I want to appreciate the music more, and dissect/analyze it less.

I found the Aeolus to be impressive in both categories. To be able to be “fun” (moving with the music and taking the song as a whole) and also have really solid detail to pick apart (if you could stop from bumping to it...) is quite a feat to me after the years now that I spent in this hobby.

May 20, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,244 of 6,720
This is exactly how I feel about the Aeolus.

I don’t find them laid back at all (maybe my tube amp/tubes adds to this?) and on the contrary I find them almost addictively fun to listen to ha. Like you, I put them on and it’s only a second or two before my toes would start to tap...

In the beginning of this hobby for me I never realized how much information there was in a good recording/file. So I think I got consumed with wanting more and more details thrown at me, since hearing good sound was new and fresh. Time went on, and now I’m at a point where I want to appreciate the music more, and dissect/analyze it less.

I found the Aeolus to be impressive in both categories. To be able to be “fun” (moving with the music and taking the song as a whole) and also have really solid detail to pick apart (if you could stop from bumping to it...) is quite a feat to me after the years now that I spent in this hobby.
Good stuff!

It is really awesome how, you can jam out and get lost in the music, or stay focused and hear every detail. I like how you commented on this, as I really noticed it this weekend, after some more time with them. The Aeolus, continue to impress, every time I put them on.

May 20, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,245 of 6,720
I am firing up, the Bottlehead Crack, tonight, for the first time, and can't wait to hear, what an OTL, can do with the Aeolus. The Liquid Platinum, drives them to perfection, so we shall see, if the Crack, can hang. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back