ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 10, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,171 of 6,717
Perfect opportunity to use my pocket dad joke- " you can call me anything, just not late for dinner!" Zing! I'll be in this thread all week folks, don't forget to tip your waiter.

So glad you got your headphones and are enjoying them. Your listening room is awesome, btw!!! Love the barn wood wall... gives me some ZMF HQ inspiration.

Alright, just popped in to make my bad jokes. Check ya'll later.
Bevin - we love you despite the bad jokes! :wink:
See you and Zach in a few weeks (CJ SoCal)!!!

May 10, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,172 of 6,717
One of my favorite live albums of all time, in entirety it sounds sublime on the Aeolus (Blusound>Hugo2>Milo>Michanikós Cable>Aeolus).

Hey man I would love a comparison of the Aeolus through the Milo vs your Woo Tubes.

I’m still trying to get my head around all the amp options for my Atticus. It sounds so good through the Mojo (and my Clarett 2 Pre USB), I’m not sure what I want to change (if anything). And I don’t want to have a stack of amps in my small (read: very small with 5 string instruments) Queens flat. And I also don’t want to play trial and error if I don’t have to.

Atm I’m still parsing thoughts on OTL vs transformer coupled for tubes, but I also dream of hearing the Atty through a TOTL SS amp like your Milo or a Violectric. Man the options can be overwhelming.

May 10, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,173 of 6,717
Hey man I would love a comparison of the Aeolus through the Milo vs your Woo Tubes.

I’m still trying to get my head around all the amp options for my Atticus. It sounds so good through the Mojo (and my Clarett 2 Pre USB), I’m not sure what I want to change (if anything). And I don’t want to have a stack of amps in my small (read: very small with 5 string instruments) Queens flat. And I also don’t want to play trial and error if I don’t have to.

Atm I’m still parsing thoughts on OTL vs transformer coupled for tubes, but I also dream of hearing the Atty through a TOTL SS amp like your Milo or a Violectric. Man the options can be overwhelming.

Hey Hoss,

I’d be glad to help, I also have the Mojo on hand to add to the comparison.

May 11, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,174 of 6,717
Ok, hmmm...this may get long-winded...I apologize in advance...I am a lurker on this site but I am more active on another...so this will be new...if this is inappropriate by all means remove and inform me =) I'll adjust my approach in the future if so...but something to know about me... I like good whiskey...and listening to headphones while imbibing. I find the synergy of whiskey, good music, and good audio gear to be sublime, and a way for me to wash away the stress of the day/week (depends on when I can get some time to imbibe along with listening). Ok enough backstory...Aeolus...some nice acoustic streaming tracks from Qobuz studio... and currently the Cayin Ha-1a MKII (I recently developed some feedback but nothing noticeable with tracks going, I'll find the culprit sooner or later). Whiskey I started with 2 fingers of Jefferson Ocean 16 with a small rock, I am now on 2 fingers of WhistlePig Rye straight up. I prefer the Jefferson, mild, sweet-salty caramel. The WhistlePig has an almost swamp water taste to it (not in a gross way more... well I guess no matter how you look at that statement that sounds gross :wink: but more in the earthy minerally watery way) it doesn't have the spice that most Rye has or any major sweetness, this could be due to having the Jefferson first and now the flavor profile of the WhistlePig is changed due to the sweetness of the Jefferson... I digress... (stupid ADHD and booze, they never seem to work for quick impressions)

Aeolus, the star of tonights show, sitting at around 30-40hrs of break-in listening time, and even without full break-in, I..am...addicted...Fs to the yeah lol. Acoustic tracks and vocals really shine on these, even some classical, just wow, the presence I'm feeling/getting from them...close your eyes and float kind of good!

Fur Elise in A Minor, WoO 59: performed by Dubravka Tomsic
  • This track is pianotastic! one of my all-time favorites, with the Aeolous I can hear the notes hang in the air...they can blend together due to this but overall amazing
Devil's Pie: performed by D'Angelo (this album is mastered really well)
  • all the cool intricacies happening, along with the very forward spoken word/singing...and that bass track with the electronic circling/dripping wow. The track isn't wide and feels very intimate. But imaging is excellent for me, at this stage :wink:
Terracentric: Performed by Rodrigo Y Gabriela
  • This track slams! I dare you to try and not nod your head along lol. The details I'm pulling with the Aeolus, string vibrations, palm thumps, fingers sliding on strings...Yes, please!
King(acoustic): by Slenderbodies
  • take the D'Angelo singing, and add the Rodrigo Y Gabriela light touch acoustics and bam! the whispered singing, all the backup instruments in the background, and the sliding of the strings. I really can get used to this, the Aeolus just presents very well...and slams when it needs to.
Trollabundin: by Eivor
  • Wow, I have listened to this track an epic butt ton on my other headphones...I think this is my favorite so far, the echoes of the singer, the presence F me...this is good! So much going on, and I pick up a lot of it in new ways (this is why I love having different headphones, so many cool things happen when you listen with different chains).
Grandpa's Groove: by Parov Stelar
  • This group is EDM/Swing/Bigband swingtastic! just fun to listen to... I sometimes turn off the volume to Cuphead and play Parov Stelar while trying to complete some boss fights. On the Aeolus just fun...un-abashed fun... I have a big grin going
Waiting in Vain: performed by Halie Loren
  • Jazzy, smokey, sweet, rich, fall asleep with a smile on your face good. She just has a great voice, the band feels in the background with the Aeolus...like it should with this track. The singer is in your ear singing to you.
Heartbeats (Live): Performed by The Knife
  • the audience, and overall performance, the cool thing about this track on the Aeolus is that the instruments are more forward, I feel like I'm sitting off center or "stage left" listening...that could just be the booze kicking in though...
I could go on...but I'm getting sleepy :wink: I listened to more songs than the above but, I think I've already walled off enough... I'll end with a nice track that has recently been one of my favorites

Drive by Fires: Performed by Ayla Nereo
  • I was trying to stick to Acoustic style tracks and vocal forward tracks. This track is a nice end to the night, ethereal especially with the background instruments, Violin, shakers, snares? hmm, lots going on here...and my brain is good and fuzzy so I think it is time to get some shut eye.
Hopefully, this was a fun read, and my stream of conscious of one of many short (too short) sessions with the Aeolus, wasn't annoying, or too much. I really can't get over how beautiful the Aeolus Ziricote is, I've attached a couple of pictures of my nighttime pairing for this session.
Cheers everyone!
IMG_20190510_220135.jpg IMG_20190510_220606.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #1,175 of 6,717
Hmmm...I use the stock tubes provided but I swapped to 6AS7G JAN Gray Plate, and I swap out the stock 12AU7, with EH12AU7, and a Tung-Sol 12AU7... Pictures speak a thousand words... here attached is a slightly older picture of my Audio/PC/Photo/Battlestation...

which do u use most amongst the clear, lcd x and ether 2?

May 11, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,176 of 6,717
Ok, hmmm...this may get long-winded...I apologize in advance...I am a lurker on this site but I am more active on another...so this will be new...if this is inappropriate by all means remove and inform me =) I'll adjust my approach in the future if so...but something to know about me... I like good whiskey...and listening to headphones while imbibing. I find the synergy of whiskey, good music, and good audio gear to be sublime, and a way for me to wash away the stress of the day/week (depends on when I can get some time to imbibe along with listening). Ok enough backstory...Aeolus...some nice acoustic streaming tracks from Qobuz studio... and currently the Cayin Ha-1a MKII (I recently developed some feedback but nothing noticeable with tracks going, I'll find the culprit sooner or later). Whiskey I started with 2 fingers of Jefferson Ocean 16 with a small rock, I am now on 2 fingers of WhistlePig Rye straight up. I prefer the Jefferson, mild, sweet-salty caramel. The WhistlePig has an almost swamp water taste to it (not in a gross way more... well I guess no matter how you look at that statement that sounds gross :wink: but more in the earthy minerally watery way) it doesn't have the spice that most Rye has or any major sweetness, this could be due to having the Jefferson first and now the flavor profile of the WhistlePig is changed due to the sweetness of the Jefferson... I digress... (stupid ADHD and booze, they never seem to work for quick impressions)

Aeolus, the star of tonights show, sitting at around 30-40hrs of break-in listening time, and even without full break-in, I..am...addicted...Fs to the yeah lol. Acoustic tracks and vocals really shine on these, even some classical, just wow, the presence I'm feeling/getting from them...close your eyes and float kind of good!

Fur Elise in A Minor, WoO 59: performed by Dubravka Tomsic
  • This track is pianotastic! one of my all-time favorites, with the Aeolous I can hear the notes hang in the air...they can blend together due to this but overall amazing
Devil's Pie: performed by D'Angelo (this album is mastered really well)
  • all the cool intricacies happening, along with the very forward spoken word/singing...and that bass track with the electronic circling/dripping wow. The track isn't wide and feels very intimate. But imaging is excellent for me, at this stage :wink:
Terracentric: Performed by Rodrigo Y Gabriela
  • This track slams! I dare you to try and not nod your head along lol. The details I'm pulling with the Aeolus, string vibrations, palm thumps, fingers sliding on strings...Yes, please!
King(acoustic): by Slenderbodies
  • take the D'Angelo singing, and add the Rodrigo Y Gabriela light touch acoustics and bam! the whispered singing, all the backup instruments in the background, and the sliding of the strings. I really can get used to this, the Aeolus just presents very well...and slams when it needs to.
Trollabundin: by Eivor
  • Wow, I have listened to this track an epic butt ton on my other headphones...I think this is my favorite so far, the echoes of the singer, the presence F me...this is good! So much going on, and I pick up a lot of it in new ways (this is why I love having different headphones, so many cool things happen when you listen with different chains).
Grandpa's Groove: by Parov Stelar
  • This group is EDM/Swing/Bigband swingtastic! just fun to listen to... I sometimes turn off the volume to Cuphead and play Parov Stelar while trying to complete some boss fights. On the Aeolus just fun...un-abashed fun... I have a big grin going
Waiting in Vain: performed by Halie Loren
  • Jazzy, smokey, sweet, rich, fall asleep with a smile on your face good. She just has a great voice, the band feels in the background with the Aeolus...like it should with this track. The singer is in your ear singing to you.
Heartbeats (Live): Performed by The Knife
  • the audience, and overall performance, the cool thing about this track on the Aeolus is that the instruments are more forward, I feel like I'm sitting off center or "stage left" listening...that could just be the booze kicking in though...
I could go on...but I'm getting sleepy :wink: I listened to more songs than the above but, I think I've already walled off enough... I'll end with a nice track that has recently been one of my favorites

Drive by Fires: Performed by Ayla Nereo
  • I was trying to stick to Acoustic style tracks and vocal forward tracks. This track is a nice end to the night, ethereal especially with the background instruments, Violin, shakers, snares? hmm, lots going on here...and my brain is good and fuzzy so I think it is time to get some shut eye.
Hopefully, this was a fun read, and my stream of conscious of one of many short (too short) sessions with the Aeolus, wasn't annoying, or too much. I really can't get over how beautiful the Aeolus Ziricote is, I've attached a couple of pictures of my nighttime pairing for this session.
Cheers everyone!
Great write up! All of the above using the Cayin?

May 11, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,177 of 6,717
Anyone know if the Ori pads will fit on the Aeolus? I've been wondering, as I love my Ori pads on my HE-500; they are just soooo comfy! I would pull them to try, but I always have a hack of a time re-adjusting them on the HE-500. They are perfect now and I don't want to mess with them.

May 11, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,178 of 6,717
Sorry for the late pic! I could not take these off, my head last night, they are so good! These are beautiful, and the grain is popping! Back to the music. . .
20190510_154811_zpszugpagna.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,179 of 6,717
which do u use most amongst the clear, lcd x and ether 2?
The Clears, the other two were on loan from another site, I wrote reviews for both of them. The LCD-X was damn close to the Clears, and I felt like one of the better all around headphones for different music and preferences, but it is heavy. The Ether2 was feather lite, and was very relaxing listening to.

Edit: I’m surprised you even saw the Ether2 in there....they are like blackholes and dang near impossible to get good pics of them! Lol

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,180 of 6,717
Great write up! All of the above using the Cayin?
Yes sir! The Cayin is a beautiful looking amp but can be sensitive to interference, it isn’t as “lush”? As the BHC, it leans more neutral to my ears. It has lots of power and some cool features plus the aesthetics make it a keeper for me =) but my preference would be the BHC.

May 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,181 of 6,717
The Clears, the other two were on loan from another site, I wrote reviews for both of them. The LCD-X was damn close to the Clears, and I felt like one of the better all around headphones for different music and preferences, but it is heavy. The Ether2 was feather lite, and was very relaxing listening to.

Edit: I’m surprised you even saw the Ether2 in there....they are like blackholes and dang near impossible to get good pics of them! Lol

O.0

so this is your ranking i presume?

clear > lcd x > ether 2

May 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,182 of 6,717
Beautiful People - Rusted Root

This song is perfect, with the Aeolus, and my system!

Tidal hifi + Gumby + Liquid Platinum w/ Brimar CV2492 tubes + Aeolus = Perfection

Rusted Root, is my all time favorite band, and I saw them at a small venue, years ago. I was lucky enough to be standing front row / center stage, and I am right there again. I am freaking crying, this is so real and lifelike! Stunning, what these headphones can do! The voices, are perfect, as is everything else. Thank you ZMF!

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,183 of 6,717
Another couple songs, that just blew my mind, with Aeolus!

Laugh as The Sun - Rust Root

Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers

A pattern is emerging, from my going through my music library, Folk Rock sounds incredible, with the Aeolus.

May 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,184 of 6,717
O.0

so this is your ranking i presume?

clear > lcd x > ether 2

I’m not really saying one is better than the other, but for me, my preference has been more in line with your statement, but that is due mostly to comfort, the LCD-X and Clears are pretty close in sound signature, accuracies, tone, etc...while the Ether2 is more warm, and the hated term “musical” lol still fairly accurate, but I did notice some tracks didn’t sound as good on the Ether2.

The Clears win out for comfort and over all best bang for the buck, plus damn good sounds pouring into your ear holes from them. But now that I have the Aeolus I haven’t put them on for....holy...a week at least, damn...time flies....the Aeolus has really won me over....hopefully my Verite moves to sanding and finishing because I am super excited for them now!

I’ll try and get some time with the Clears and Aeolus a/b with the Phonitor XE toggle swapping feature (pause music before toggling if you have one) before I’m out of town until next weekend....I’ll be in IEM hell....don’t feel like lugging my Elegia or Cascades with me. More room for whiskey purchases in my luggage !

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,185 of 6,717
I’m not really saying one is better than the other, but for me, my preference has been more in line with your statement, but that is due mostly to comfort, the LCD-X and Clears are pretty close in sound signature, accuracies, tone, etc...while the Ether2 is more warm, and the hated term “musical” lol still fairly accurate, but I did notice some tracks didn’t sound as good on the Ether2.

The Clears win out for comfort and over all best bang for the buck, plus damn good sounds pouring into your ear holes from them. But now that I have the Aeolus I haven’t put them on for....holy...a week at least, damn...time flies....the Aeolus has really won me over....hopefully my Verite moves to sanding and finishing because I am super excited for them now!

I’ll try and get some time with the Clears and Aeolus a/b with the Phonitor XE toggle swapping feature (pause music before toggling if you have one) before I’m out of town until next weekend....I’ll be in IEM hell....don’t feel like lugging my Elegia or Cascades with me. More room for whiskey purchases in my luggage !

looking forward to the comparison bewteen Clear and Aeolus

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back