ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 11, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #646 of 6,741
Extremely appealing pair of headphones. I am certain I must hear them one day. Nr1 on my short list before the Ether 2 and Empyrean.

i am curious about empyrean too. people say it has wonderful bass, warm signature. but verite would come first if i had the cash. these cans are getting more pricey every year... this hobby is like having a cancer in the wallet.

Im having the Empyrean in for a review,but it might be awhile before they arrive and I can put a review together. Also comparing them to my Auteurs and Verites might be apples and oranges,as im not sure how well theyre going to do thru my GOTL.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #647 of 6,741
Im having the Empyrean in for a review,but it might be awhile before they arrive and I can put a review together. Also comparing them to my Auteurs and Verites might be apples and oranges,as im not sure how well theyre going to do thru my GOTL.
Looking forward ti it for sure, but shouldn't this be in the Empyrean thread?
You're probably right about the GOTL, Empyrean is supposed to be real easy to drive, but the impedance would probably turn it to mush.
Your Gilmore Lite Mk ll should be perfect from what I hear though.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #648 of 6,741
Extremely appealing pair of headphones. I am certain I must hear them one day. Nr1 on my short list before the Ether 2 and Empyrean.
If you’re after more linear bass, Auteur and Eikon would be the ones to hear in the ZMF camp. If you want ‘better’ bass than your LCD2C, the LCD-3 is your headphone. Aeolus would be an extension of the Atticus, with its warm mid-bass flavour and relatively rolled sub bass. Just my 0.02.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #649 of 6,741

use your gilmore with empyrean. it should be more than enough.
how do zmf cans sound with otl in your opinion??

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #650 of 6,741
use your gilmore with empyrean. it should be more than enough.
how do zmf cans sound with otl in your opinion??

Im sure the Empyrean will sound great from the GLM2. The problem is that all the ZMF headphones I have or have had all sound their best thru my GOTL.
Glenn suggested I use a pair of 6336b tubes for low impedance headphones. Will give it a shot.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #651 of 6,741
Well after drooling over these since December I finally ordered a pair yesterday through the german dealer. Let's see how obsolete they make my HD-650 once they arrive :darthsmile:

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #652 of 6,741
Received mine yesterday. I think I was about the 31st or 32nd on the order sheet before they started shipping.

I got the normal, Sapele version. It can't be overstated how beautiful these things are, how outstanding the workmanship is. I'm not taking photos, we've seen enough, and they don't do it justice anyway.

I don't think I can add much in the way of impressions. Um, they're clearly very good headphones? I will say I'm extremely glad I bought the Verite pads as an addition, because while the standard pads are fine, the Verite pads make the Aeolus sound pretty much exactly how I wanted them to. My only problem now is source/amping/cable, where I got the nice OCC cable in balanced 4XLR form, but got nothing to use it on (MCTH is faulty :triportsad:) without a converter. Creative X7 is doing absolutely fine for now, to be fair.

Thanks very much @zach915m

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #653 of 6,741
Received mine yesterday. Thanks very much @zach915m

You're welcome!!!!! :L3000:

A couple quick notes for everyone - we're working very hard to get as many Aeolus' and our other headphones out as fast as possible. The wait time for any headphone but the Aeolus doesn't exceed 6 weeks right now (Verite) - most headphones are 2-4 weeks - but we are definitely the furthest behind on Aeolus from the pre-order. At the pace we're going at I optimistically think we will have all current Aeolus orders fulfilled by the end of March - I'm excited to get everyone their headphones!

Soon we will also have a new stock auteur wood coming, as well as some other fun surprises for the Atticus and Eikon LTD editions.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #654 of 6,741
Awesome news Zach! Looking at the Aeolus order sheet, you are one busy man. Just got me a little more excited, about getting my pair :o2smile:

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #655 of 6,741
Received mine yesterday. I think I was about the 31st or 32nd on the order sheet before they started shipping.

I got the normal, Sapele version. It can't be overstated how beautiful these things are, how outstanding the workmanship is. I'm not taking photos, we've seen enough, and they don't do it justice anyway.

I don't think I can add much in the way of impressions. Um, they're clearly very good headphones? I will say I'm extremely glad I bought the Verite pads as an addition, because while the standard pads are fine, the Verite pads make the Aeolus sound pretty much exactly how I wanted them to. My only problem now is source/amping/cable, where I got the nice OCC cable in balanced 4XLR form, but got nothing to use it on (MCTH is faulty :triportsad:) without a converter. Creative X7 is doing absolutely fine for now, to be fair.

Thanks very much @zach915m

Saw sapele for the first time on my friend's Aeolus. That wood is gorgeous. None of the pictures I've seen really do it justice.

The headphone sounds very good indeed on a good balanced amp...

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #656 of 6,741
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #658 of 6,741
I received my pair today. It’s similar in design & build to my Ebony Fostex TR X00. It feels far lighter than I expected.

Disclaimer: I think descriptions are subjective as you have to hear the gear & then draw your own SQ conclusions.

I’ll offer my subjective comparisons to a couple pair of open cans that I own. I have HD 6XXs...I think the Aeolus sounds a shade more natural, vibrant & lively. The HD 6XXs sounds clinical &/or neutral by comparison. I have a pair of Aeon Flow Open HPs; I don’t know that I can directly compare ‘em ‘cause the AFOs are not dynamic HPs. So the AFOs can do what planars do really well...& the Aeolus can do what dynamics do really well. I can offer that the Aeolus HP sounds ‘more open’ than the AFOs.

Listening to Cinematic Orchestra’s Live @ The Royal Albert Hall...the SQ is startling...the musical presence is remarkable...in a you’re there...kind of way. The Aeolus seemingly have that semi-external (playing outside of your head) thing going for them.

My biggest gripe is the headband fitment. I wear a size 7 3/4 hat...I have to wear the Aeolus HPs at full extension. I removed the inner leather strap...it bothered the topside of my head...the resting pressure was notable. I don’t have this issue with my other cans. I may get the ZMF Pilot Pad if it fits the Aeolus...with the intent to aid in comfort. Or continue to make adjustments to see if I can reduce the topside pressure.

Equipment used: Fiio M9 > Woo Audio WA8

Update: I adjusted the headband (by reshaping it); this made a notable improvement on the overall fit (reduced pressure felt on the topside of my head).

EB244C1C-7FA1-44A4-98D3-623A0D8C3E60.jpeg BC84C4A0-6509-4E37-B33C-7E2BA14DDC54.jpeg 140E13FC-F89D-4020-8A2F-3C853B1062BC.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #659 of 6,741
2BD7102F-29B2-4CB7-938D-C37F1BC3A7C9.jpeg
I received my pair today. It’s similar in design & build to my mahogany Fostex TR X00. It feels far lighter than I expected.

Disclaimer: I think descriptions are subjective as you have to hear the gear & then draw your own SQ conclusions.

I’ll offer my subjective comparisons to a couple pair of open cans that I own. I have HD 6XXs...I think the Aeolus sounds a shade more natural, vibrant & lively. The HD 6XXs sounds clinical &/or neutral by comparison. I have a pair of Aeon Flow Open HPs; I don’t know that I can directly compare ‘em ‘cause the AFOs are not dynamic HPs. So the AFOs do what planars do really well...& the Aeolus do what dynamics do really well. I can offer that the Aeolus HP sounds ‘more open’ than the AFOs.

Listening to Cinematic Orchestra’s Live @ The Royal Albert Hall...the SQ is startling...the musical presence is remarkable...in a you’re there...kind of way. The Aeolus seemingly have that semi-external (playing outside of your head) thing going for them.

My biggest gripe is the headband fitment. I wear a size 7 3/4 hat...I have to wear the Aeolus HPs at full extension. I removed the inner leather strap...it bothered the topside of my head...the resting pressure was notable. I don’t have this issue with my other cans. I may get the ZMF Pilot Pad if it fits the Aeolus...with the intent to aid in comfort. Or continue to make adjustments to see if I can reduce the topside pressure.

Equipment used: Fiio M9 > Woo Audio WA8

I have mine with the pilot pad, fits great and distributes the pressure evenly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back