ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,426 of 6,740
Jun 18, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,427 of 6,740
I see these are about $1200 which is inline with Atticus and Eikon, so my question is why are the other models almost $3000? is there something different about them as they look similar.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,428 of 6,740
I see these are about $1200 which is inline with Atticus and Eikon, so my question is why are the other models almost $3000? is there something different about them as they look similar.
I believe it is because of type of wood, driver material, and time to make it. Zach has commented about this before, however I can't remember which thread it is in.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,429 of 6,740
I believe it is because of type of wood, driver material, and time to make it. Zach has commented about this before, however I can't remember which thread it is in.

Upon further investigation I see he has added bass ports and a new driver. I also see the Aeolus is supposed to be the best value.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,430 of 6,740
so my question is why are the other models almost $3000? is there something different about them as they look similar.

From a consumer's perspective, they look similar but all their models sound a lot different. As an owner of multiple models of ZMF cans, I never think I invested redundantly.

What really matters is specific need and taste of each potential buyer. Upstream is also something to consider. I think these more important than pure price difference.

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,432 of 6,740
Haven't been able to add much to this thread (too many new toys), but here's at least a photo of my new-to-me Aeolus.

sEk8GND.jpg

ooga ooga!

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,433 of 6,740
Hey Fellas!

I have been spending a few days now, with my Bottlehead Crack Speedball, and my Aeolus, and I can honestly say, they are a match made in heaven. The air, and sense of space has increased, going from the Liquid Platinum. The tonality, is still lifelike on both, but the BHC, is not as forward in the mids, as the Liquid Platinum. As a result, the BHC has better extension up top, and down low. The bass with the BHC, can blow your ears out, if you are not careful! There is just something magical, going on with the BHC (OTL), that is not quite there with the Liquid Platinum. However, they both are really neck and neck. There is one big thing, that I like about the BHC, vs. the LP, and that is better range with the volume knob. I am using Brimar CV (military) tubes in both amps, as they just sound right to me, throughout the entire frequency spectrum, and the mids are forward, and stunningly real sounding. I am using the famous Tung Sol 5998, as the power tube in the BHC, which helps with the air and extension. I still have to spend more time to compare the two amps, but they both are keepers, and pair extremely well, with the Aeolus. I will report back, with more comparisons, after I spend some more time, with the BHC. I am at a point in this hobby, where I am really getting some amazing sound, and I am having a blast, with all my gear.

Happy Listening! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,434 of 6,740
On another note, I just watched the Can Jam SoCal preview video, from Jude, and he said that the Aeolus, is his favorite ZMF headphone! That's high praise, coming from someone, that has heard it all!

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,435 of 6,740
Hey Fellas!

I have been spending a few days now, with my Bottlehead Crack Speedball, and my Aeolus, and I can honestly say, they are a match made in heaven. The air, and sense of space has increased, going from the Liquid Platinum. The tonality, is still lifelike on both, but the BHC, is not as forward in the mids, as the Liquid Platinum. As a result, the BHC has better extension up top, and down low. The bass with the BHC, can blow your ears out, if you are not careful! There is just something magical, going on with the BHC (OTL), that is not quite there with the Liquid Platinum. However, they both are really neck and neck. There is one big thing, that I like about the BHC, vs. the LP, and that is better range with the volume knob. I am using Brimar CV (military) tubes in both amps, as they just sound right to me, throughout the entire frequency spectrum, and the mids are forward, and stunningly real sounding. I am using the famous Tung Sol 5998, as the power tube in the BHC, which helps with the air and extension. I still have to spend more time to compare the two amps, but they both are keepers, and pair extremely well, with the Aeolus. I will report back, with more comparisons, after I spend some more time, with the BHC. I am at a point in this hobby, where I am really getting some amazing sound, and I am having a blast, with all my gear.

Hi Wes. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. Good on you. That's what it's all about! I haven't given my Aeolus much head time since I picked it up (too many new toys), but you're making a good argument to do so. I also have a crack that I'm running with Tungsol 6sn7 BGRP and a slotted graphite 6080WB (I have some TS 5998 in my Woo that i can try too) and I'm working on a second crack build too. I'll have to do some listening this week!

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,436 of 6,740
Hi Wes. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. Good on you. That's what it's all about! I haven't given my Aeolus much head time since I picked it up (too many new toys), but you're making a good argument to do so. I also have a crack that I'm running with Tungsol 6sn7 BGRP and a slotted graphite 6080WB (I have some TS 5998 in my Woo that i can try too) and I'm working on a second crack build too. I'll have to do some listening this week!
Nice! I had a Bendix 6080wb slotted plate, and it sounded incredible, with the Mullard Long Plate, but it had issues and got returned. I am currently hunting down another one.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,437 of 6,740
Do it. I think you'll be quite pleased.

It's been said before that there's something about Zach's creations when paired with an OTL that is just uncanny. It brings a different dimension that's hard to describe.
I'm borrowing a Woo WA3 from @Pharmaboy and it is incredible. A very different flavor than my DNA Sonnet, but very engaging nonetheless.

Definitely try it with the crack...I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,439 of 6,740
I wonder why they call it a crack? Hmmm:wink:
As a side note, Wes, you need to contact Zach to inquire about being the Aeolus spokesman for ZMF! :metal:

The name is perfect! I am addicted, for sure.

Ha. Ha. When I find something I like, I like to give it credit, and the Aeolus is legit. I would love to work with ZMF! Talk about a dream job!

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,440 of 6,740
Hey Fellas!

So happy for you Wes, that’s what this is all about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back