ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #1,261 of 6,741
I too thought that Glenn’s packing skills needed recognition to the point of shooting an unboxing video of my GOTL when I received it (I think I’m over a year now of owning the OTL?)

Here’s the link for anyone learning how to pack like a BOSSSS

Glenn OTL unpacking video
Nice idea actually for safe packing. I'm planning to sell my Valhalla 2 and I think I will use this idea of packing.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,262 of 6,741
I too thought that Glenn’s packing skills needed recognition to the point of shooting an unboxing video of my GOTL when I received it (I think I’m over a year now of owning the OTL?)

Vertical videos should be banned! :angry:
Unless, you have eyes like this dude:
proton-lcd-tv-vertical-eyes-outdoor-80922-preview-adeevee.jpg

May 20, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,264 of 6,741
May 20, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #1,265 of 6,741
So drinking a Hot Toddy and listening to the Aeolus with the BHC... man what a delight. I finally broke through the 100hr break-in time and man what a cool experience. These were great in my opinion at 1hr...at 100hrs +... they have bloomed into something extremely beautiful. Just a joy to listen to... and I still have 40+hrs of recommended break-in time. If I hadn't experienced it for myself I don't know if I would have bought off on this long of a break-in period...but man is it worth doing, the difference is like adding a couple of drops of water to a whiskey to tease out its full potential! Sorry to all you purist drinkers out there...but I'm a man that likes science :wink:

Seriously enjoy my short window of time in the evening when the fam is in bed, and I take some me time before bed to get some listening in...back to the music

Tonight I'm listening to The East Pointers album "What We Leave Behind"

and a random mix of everything else

May 21, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #1,266 of 6,741

That's well worth watching unboxing video even if I don't care what's inside.
Best safe packing I have ever seen.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #1,267 of 6,741
That's well worth watching unboxing video even if I don't care what's inside.
Best safe packing I have ever seen.
Hey I appreciate that, truly.

I just watched my video, (it’s been since I unboxed it since I seen it last) and I felt like unboxing it all over again:heart_eyes:. God that gives me joy...

Anyways- @zach915m, I’m curious if you ever thought about incorporating pool noodle technology into your boxwork?

Also I would like people to show more of their ZMF unboxings on YouTube. You could wait a long time for that bad boy to be made. Share that moment with the world people!

Btw I am listening with the Auteur on the album “Santana III” and it’s dang good...

Take care y’all and I hope you’re up late like me getting your tunes on

May 21, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,268 of 6,741
ZMF does a hell of job packing their headphones, and so does Glen, with his amps! Those pelican cases are legit, and well Glen does it, like I do. Other people, should take note and learn how to ship precious electronics!

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,269 of 6,741
So, I have been using the stock universe perf pads, on the Aeolus, and was wondering if anyone else has stuck with these pads, as it seems most have gone to suede perf. I do have the suede perf, on hand, but have not even thought of changing the pads, until just now. I am curious, but love the way it sounds so much with stock pads, that it might be a while before I do.

How many of you have stuck with the stock perf, after trying the suede perf? There seems to be a lot of people that prefer the suede perf, but I just don't want to loose any of the glorious bass.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,270 of 6,741
I only have the Verite pads and immediately switched back to the stock Aeolus pads. The change just made the Aeolus too close to my other headphones.....just no point to me. I want my Aeolus to be different because that is why I bought it. For me, if I lose bass with my Aeolus, it is pointless. I bought them for bass, which is why I hesitate to try the perf suede. I think most say the perf suede lose some of the bass, so I'm holding off on buying them to try.

May 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,271 of 6,741
So, I have been using the stock universe perf pads, on the Aeolus, and was wondering if anyone else has stuck with these pads, as it seems most have gone to suede perf. I do have the suede perf, on hand, but have not even thought of changing the pads, until just now. I am curious, but love the way it sounds so much with stock pads, that it might be a while before I do.

How many of you have stuck with the stock perf, after trying the suede perf? There seems to be a lot of people that prefer the suede perf, but I just don't want to loose any of the glorious bass.
I will try when I get home tonight! But honestly I’m really digging the suede pads, I actually put the Universe pads on my TH-X00 Purple Hearts lol, I’ll do some pad swapping fun times and get back to on this.

Also I haven’t felt the bass to be lacking with the Suede pads, but I will see what happens :wink: or if anyone’s in the Seattle area that has an Aeolus, maybe do a meetup for a true a/b comparison?

May 22, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #1,272 of 6,741
@Wes S Ok, the bass is definitely more present with the Stock Universe pads, more bloomy? The Suede Universe pads are just slightly less in the bass department. The Stock Universe is ever slightly more in your face. The Suedes are more smooth, without being muddy, at least to my ears. Also, the stock pads seem to be "closed" in sounding, but not in a bad way just smaller sound stage, but only just. I think that to do this right though I would have to have two pairs of Aeolus with one with the stock Universe pads and one with the Suede pads. As of right now it comes down to preference, if you like more bass (even if just a little more) than the stock Universe pads will work for you, but I would advise if it is in your means to pick up the Suede pads, as they are extremely comfortable and are no slouches in the Bass department, and are pretty excellent for me=)

Hope that helps

Edit: also the stock pads are harder to take off and put on...I think it is due to the leather not being as flexible YMMV =)

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,273 of 6,741
I only have the Verite pads and immediately switched back to the stock Aeolus pads. The change just made the Aeolus too close to my other headphones.....just no point to me. I want my Aeolus to be different because that is why I bought it. For me, if I lose bass with my Aeolus, it is pointless. I bought them for bass, which is why I hesitate to try the perf suede. I think most say the perf suede lose some of the bass, so I'm holding off on buying them to try.

I’m absolutely loving the PERF Suede Pad, there may be a small drop in bass, whilst the soundscape remains intimate, it expands both fore and aft (a large, yet intimate intimate, if that makes any sense.

This back surgery has almost killed me, thank God for music!

May 22, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,274 of 6,741
I’m absolutely loving the PERF Suede Pad, there may be a small drop in bass, whilst the soundscape remains intimate, it expands both fore and aft (a large, yet intimate intimate, if that makes any sense.

This back surgery has almost killed me, thank God for music!

Do they take away any of the warmth from the stock perf pads? I may eventually try them, if they don't take away too much bass and warmth; just to hear for myself. Right now, the Aeolus in stock form is just awesome. So no rush to buy the perf suede pads, to possibly just sit on the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back