ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 24, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,291 of 6,720
Best song I have heard so far, with my Aeolus, Gumby, and LP!

Tidal Master - Beck - End of The Day

Wow! I have never heard this song, sound so freakin good.

May 24, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,292 of 6,720
E373ECA2-BD1B-427D-87BB-A2EB46FDA666.jpeg 2AFD5A9C-A597-4B13-BDB6-EEE842087D7D.jpeg My “sick project,”

May 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,293 of 6,720
May 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,295 of 6,720
My “sick project,”
Lovely setup! Hope you feel better/are kickin butt again soon...
I’m still recovering from my Achilles rupture from two years ago...no major leg workouts/runs/bike rides....but I’m working around it...and improving. Got to pick up those heavy things up and put them back down!

May 24, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,296 of 6,720
I’m still recovering from my Achilles rupture from two years ago...no major leg workouts/runs/bike rides....but I’m working around it...and improving. Got to pick up those heavy things up and put them back down!

Oooghhffff, Achilles rupture, that’s a big time injury! Hope you’re doing well

May 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,297 of 6,720
Damn.

May 24, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,298 of 6,720
As the late great Bruce Lee said "Be like water"
Great philosophy to have...if I can't go around the problem or over/under it I'll press against it until it is worn down and gone this does not mean to avoid problems but be flexible in solving them! Fist coming at your face block/Dodge/counter...but it should never have gotten to that point as one could have walked away, much sooner to avoid that outcome :)
Neverending options for solutions are in front of every problem, be it mental/physical doesn't matter nor is there one correct solution but many. :wink: Philosophy rant over lol

May 25, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,301 of 6,720
Best song I have heard so far, with my Aeolus, Gumby, and LP!

Tidal Master - Beck - End of The Day

Wow! I have never heard this song, sound so freakin good.

Sea Change is an incredible album. “Already Dead”, “Paper Tiger” and “Sunday Sun” are great tracks too!

May 25, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,302 of 6,720
Sea Change is an incredible album. “Already Dead”, “Paper Tiger” and “Sunday Sun” are great tracks too!
Yes sir! I listen to a least a couple songs from that album, every time I put my headphones on, and they are all equally good.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,303 of 6,720
I have a correction to make to my last post. I had a late night listening session with my babies, last night, and WOW! I was wrong about the bass of the Aeolus hitting almost as hard as the Ori, it actually hits as hard or harder, and I think my pair finally got burned in. The bass from the Aeolus is insane, as is everything else! I literally have been standing up and dancing while wearing them, because I feel like I am there with the musicians jamming out. Within a several seconds of any song playing, I almost go into a trance and start floating inside the music, if that makes any sense. These headphones put me in the zone, and I just can't stop listening. . .

Very interesting post. The bass on my Ori is right up there with the deepest, most impactful bass I've heard from any headphone. I've heard the Aeolus at length, and while I started out paying more attention to the mid-bass, the rest of the bass range is very very good.

These headphones have great similarity in how the frequencies are covered, but don't really sound the same: this is planar vs dynamic sound (I find that I need both).

May 26, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,304 of 6,720
could you go into more detail where the aeolus is better? I know it has better bass extension.

Beyond what others here say in reply--I would point out that the Aeolus scales like crazy with bigger/better amps...the sonic upgrade with a better amp, especially if it's tubed and/or OTL, is not exactly subtle.

Much as I love my heavily modded HD650 (Jupiter Audio Research "J-Mod"), it doesn't scale up so dramatically. It sounds good on just about every amp I use, but apart from OTL for better impedance matching, the apparent differences aren't that great.

May 26, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,305 of 6,720
Beyond what others here say in reply--I would point out that the Aeolus scales like crazy with bigger/better amps...the sonic upgrade with a better amp, especially if it's tubed and/or OTL, is not exactly subtle.

Much as I love my heavily modded HD650 (Jupiter Audio Research "J-Mod"), it doesn't scale up so dramatically. It sounds good on just about every amp I use, but apart from OTL for better impedance matching, the apparent differences aren't that great.

I can concur with this... I am currently listening on my Phonitor XE...and it is a much "cleaner" sound, very impactful still but with just no coloration. I still think I prefer my Bottlehead Crack or Cayin Ha-1a MKII with the Aeolus but the Phonitor XE is very nice also... seems to be a bit quicker also. I would say the tubes are "romantic" and the Solid State is "clinical" for me at least. I also think clinical is a bit harsh of a word...maybe...Neutral or I think clean? It is fun picking it apart a bit lol. But time to relax a bit...also I'm listening in the high 70db low 80db level.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back