ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,051 of 6,740
I never understood the concept of having one headphone to compliment another. Like, having one headphone for jazz, another for rock, etc. I just want headphones that sound good. I rarely listen to genres of music outside of rock/metal, blues, and edm. I also do not prioritize head stage as being overly important in headphones. If I want staging and imaging, I listen to speakers. So instead of basing my answer off of that premise, I'll just say this: My favorite ZMF headphones are the Eikon, Verite, and Auteur.

At work, the Eikon kicks my butt with the subbass, and generally gets the majority of my head time. Closed = not disturbing anyone. Plus, it's fun toe-tapping sound with EDM and metal. Aeolus + suede pads is kind of like an Auteur Jr. - neutral enough but still really musical. With the regular Aeolus pads, it swings a bit more to the fun category. Sometimes I appreciate the lighter weight of the headphone versus the Eikon.

The Auteur or Verite is pretty much end game with any amp worthy of the title, like the ECP DSHA 3F, Eddie Current Aficionado, Wells Milo, DNA amps, etc. (I don't like the Verite at all with gooey tube amps. They are better with clean or warm SS amps like the DSHA 3F or EC Black widow 2, or super resolving and neutral tube amps like the Aficionado, Stratus, or Pendant.)

I honestly don't know which one I like more, but it's pretty easy to make the recommendation here based on what someone else prioritizes for sound. If you like the more open sound, detail retrieval, and speed of the Utopia / HD800 then get Verite. If you want something a little more neutral and intimate, get Auteur. It seems I've been swapping between the two for weeks at a time, and they're both excellent, and I don't think I'll ever crown a winner.

By compliment I don't necessarily mean that I would listen to specific songs on one headphone vs the other, but rather that I'm looking for the headphone to be different enough to justify owning them along side the others I already have.
I too want the headphones to sound good for the majority of the time I'm using them, and not for a specific genre.
When we get into $1000+ headphones, owning one is a stretch for most, let alone a few.

While I've enjoyed the HD800S when owning them, I can't say that signature is a must have for my music preferences.
I'm using the Aeolus with the suede pads, so atleast in terms of tuning, the Auteur may not be as different to need to own both.
Although, the Auteur uses a different driver, so perhaps the differences are not necessarily in the tuning, but in technicalities of each?

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,053 of 6,740
Have you compared the verite pads vs suede pads? If so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts

I’m not @Hansotek , but I have both, when I want warm, hard hitting sound I use the Stock, when I’m going for a more neutral sound, to still have warmth, but the detail to hear deep into a Grateful Dead/Zappa mix, I used the Suede Pads.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,054 of 6,740
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,055 of 6,740
Have you compared the verite pads vs suede pads? If so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts

I like the suede pads the most and then the stock (universe) pads for a different, warmer sound that basically sounds like a slightly more refined Atticus. I really didn’t care for the Verite pads on Aeolus, personally. Suede gives you the more linear sound but still keeps the sweetness. Just in my own humble opinion, I found the Verite pads a little boring on Aeolus.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,056 of 6,740
I like the suede pads the most and then the stock (universe) pads for a different, warmer sound that basically sounds like a slightly more refined Atticus. I really didn’t care for the Verite pads on Aeolus, personally. Suede gives you the more linear sound but still keeps the sweetness. Just in my own humble opinion, I found the Verite pads a little boring on Aeolus.

When you mention the Aeolus "sweetness"... which aspect are you specifically referring to? (Sorry for the odd question, it's simply not obvious to me what that would mean in terms of sound reproduction.. like "bright" or "dark" etc)

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,058 of 6,740
When you mention the Aeolus "sweetness"... which aspect are you specifically referring to? (Sorry for the odd question, it's simply not obvious to me what that would mean in terms of sound reproduction.. like "bright" or "dark" etc)
Allow me to present to you... Describing Sound - A Glossary

From the Glossary:
Sweet - Not strident or piercing. Delicate. Flat high frequency response, low distortion. Lack of peaks in the response. Highs are extended to 15 or 20 kHz, but they are not bumped up. Often used when referring to cymbals, percussion, strings, and sibilant sounds.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,059 of 6,740
Ok guys i think these headphones need serous burn-ing ,,
i just completed 50hrs and they sound way better , still details not as i like but the boomy bass is way better.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,060 of 6,740
Ok guys i think these headphones need serous burn-ing ,,
i just completed 50hrs and they sound way better , still details not as i like but the boomy bass is way better.

I you don’t have them, you really should order a pair of the Suede Universals, you’ll be amazed at the difference in the presentation.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,061 of 6,740
I’m not @Hansotek , but I have both, when I want warm, hard hitting sound I use the Stock, when I’m going for a more neutral sound, to still have warmth, but the detail to hear deep into a Grateful Dead/Zappa mix, I used the Suede Pads.
For neutral warm sound - why not just switch to Verite?! (I thought I remember you have both...)

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,062 of 6,740

Perhaps I used the wrong word here. I meant euphonic. The timbre and tone are rich and intoxicating as opposed to being somewhat “dry” sounding. The overall sound is more emotionally engaging.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,063 of 6,740
I you don’t have them, you really should order a pair of the Suede Universals, you’ll be amazed at the difference in the presentation.
Actually i am selling them, i came to realization that they are too warm for my taste, details are not far from HD660 although i am liking that bass but tbh the TH900 have cleaner bass , so i dont think i need the Aeolus in my collection.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,064 of 6,740
Actually i am selling them, i came to realization that they are too warm for my taste, details are not far from HD660 although i am liking that bass but tbh the TH900 have cleaner bass , so i dont think i need the Aeolus in my collection.

The price point is different, so it wouldn't be fair. But just for a reference, do you mind giving some thoughts on them compared to the HE1000SE?

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #1,065 of 6,740
The price point is different, so it wouldn't be fair. But just for a reference, do you mind giving some thoughts on them compared to the HE1000SE?
Oooff ,, its different in every way ,, i bought the Aeolus and i was expecting something around the LCD-2 with the flavor of dynamic driver , but it is warmer and feel more closed
Anyway the HE1000SE have larger sound stage , tighter bass and no hump in the mid bass , lower mids, and its brighter compared to the Aeolus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back