ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,067 of 6,740
Oooff ,, its different in every way ,, i bought the Aeolus and i was expecting something around the LCD-2 with the flavor of dynamic driver , but it is warmer and feel more closed
Anyway the HE1000SE have larger sound stage , tighter bass and no hump in the mid bass , lower mids, and its brighter compared to the Aeolus.

The Universe suede pads will have:

1. Less/No mid-bass hump.

2. Flat bass down to 30 hz.

3. Less forward mids.

4. More open and high end extension due to less mids and bass and the added airflow by the use of suede.

5. Flatter FR with less 3-5K dip.

I'm not arguing with any of the above as related to the stock pads, I again just don't want someone reading this thread, who hasn't heard the Aeolus to think it's not capable of that type of sound before they try the available pads. I think @Hansotek defined it all very well in his post comparing pads.

Anyone who bought the Aeolus through us can definitely send us an email to get a discount code on Unvierse Suede perf pads so you don't have to pay full price for them.

I know the confusing thing about the Aeolus is the pad choices, while many have been extremely happy with the warmer stock pads I am not realizing what some people expected was a more linear headphone, the good news is that it exists with the Universe suede perf, the bad news is I know not all of you have those pads. I'd like to help!

@GU1DO I'd hate to see you give up on the headphones without hearing them with the earpad that's optimal for your tastes and them only being 1/4 burnt in. Send me an email or PM and I will help you out!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,068 of 6,740
reading all this makes me excited for my Aeolus with stock pads, I always find headphones sound like the snares are trying to blow my eardrums, when i just want to hear the rest of the song.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,069 of 6,740
For neutral warm sound - why not just switch to Verite?! (I thought I remember you have both...)

I do, I tend to bounce back and forth between the two, still early, but atm I tend to use the Vérité for classical, some jazz, and expansive rock (Zappa, Dead), and the Aeolus for metal, classic rock, and blues.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #1,070 of 6,740

3. Less forward mids.

4. More open and high end extension due to less mids and bass and the added airflow by the use of suede.

I'm not arguing with any of the above as related to the stock pads, I again just don't want someone reading this thread, who hasn't heard the Aeolus to think it's not capable of that type of sound before they try the available pads. I think @Hansotek defined it all very well in his post comparing pads.

Anyone who bought the Aeolus through us can definitely send us an email to get a discount code on Unvierse Suede perf pads so you don't have to pay full price for them.

I know the confusing thing about the Aeolus is the pad choices, while many have been extremely happy with the warmer stock pads I am not realizing what some people expected was a more linear headphone, the good news is that it exists with the Universe suede perf, the bad news is I know not all of you have those pads. I'd like to help!

@GU1DO I'd hate to see you give up on the headphones without hearing them with the earpad that's optimal for your tastes and them only being 1/4 burnt in. Send me an email or PM and I will help you out!

Zach, would you say swapping the Lambskin Ori Pads for the Suede on the Atticus will have a similar effect on the sound signature?

Excited to start pad rolling! Only thing I’ve ever rolled before are cigarettes (badly).

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,071 of 6,740
I do, I tend to bounce back and forth between the two, still early, but atm I tend to use the Vérité for classical, some jazz, and expansive rock (Zappa, Dead), and the Aeolus for metal, classic rock, and blues.
The Verite is neutral. What is the point, if you do not mind me asking, of making the Aeolus neutral-ish with the suede pads?
I mean if you ONLY got the Aeolus, then with different pads -> different signatures make sense, but if you also got Verite for neutral duty...

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #1,072 of 6,740
The Verite is neutral. What is the point, if you do not mind me asking, of making the Aeolus neutral-ish with the suede pads?
I mean if you ONLY got the Aeolus, then with different pads -> different signatures make sense, but if you also got Verite for neutral duty...
Coincidentally I was swapping between these two headphones at work today - Aeolus (w/ suede pads) & the Verite.

You can put more neutral pads on Aeolus, and more fun pads on Verite, but it doesn't change the fundamental characteristics of the headphone. Each will still have emphasis in their certain areas.

With that said, I think @GU1DO would be very well served to try the suede universe pads, as that specific pad swap makes more of a difference on the Aeolus than it does on a Verite to Universe pad swap on the Verite.

I don't think I can overstate how big of a benefit that is to new or perspective Aeolus owners.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #1,073 of 6,740

What @ProfFalkin said.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,074 of 6,740
Coincidentally I was swapping between these two headphones at work today - Aeolus (w/ suede pads) & the Verite.

You can put more neutral pads on Aeolus, and more fun pads on Verite, but it doesn't change the fundamental characteristics of the headphone. Each will still have emphasis in their certain areas.

With that said, I think @GU1DO would be very well served to try the suede universe pads, as that specific pad swap makes more of a difference on the Aeolus than it does on a Verite to Universe pad swap on the Verite.

I don't think I can overstate how big of a benefit that is to new or perspective Aeolus owners.

This is 100% on point. They are both great and very different sounds. Really like 2 different headphones, in a lot of ways.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,075 of 6,740

Hey, sometimes you want a taco, sometimes you want a tostada.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,076 of 6,740
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #1,077 of 6,740
Damnit... Now I'm hungry. Thanks guys.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,078 of 6,740

3. Less forward mids.

Totally freakin awesome customer service, Zach! I am a fan and customer, for life! :o2smile:

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,079 of 6,740

3. Less forward mids.

Hey Zach, I'm loving Aeolus (with Aeolus pads) and the sound signature right out of the box.

If the Universe Suede and Verite pads make the frequency response more neutral, I assume you picked the Aeolus pads for the default pads because of other factors such as the timbre of vocals and certain instruments?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,080 of 6,740
1. Burn them in.

2. If the sound is too warm for your subjective taste/set-up, try the perforated suede universe pads.

I don't think it can be understated how different we as different people experience things based on our listening volume, music preference, subjective taste, gear of choice etc etc etc. I work at booths showing off ZMF's all the time, and something that happens all time that always astonishes me, is that we will have all three of our open models sitting there, one person will listen and then define our line-up verbally to me, be happy with one model, then takeoff. Someone else will come sit down a few minutes later, listen to the exact same headphones on the exact same set-up, and define the headphones to their tastes and preferences totally differently.

I've tried my best to accommodate as many varied tastes with pad swaps within each headphone model. I made the decision early on to use the aeolus (different version of universe pads) on the aeolus as stock because it gives a warmer response like the Atticus in an open headphone. BUT what I've found is that many people prefer an more neutral, open and airy sound, and that the Universe suede perforated quickly becomes their preference, because many people have heard the Sennheiser models and want the Aeolus to sound closer to that curve. SO I'd suggest the following:

1. If you want a open atticus, get the stock pads. The stock aeolus pads are punchy and smooth sounding, it's got a mid bass hump like the atticus and sound more open than atticus with a bigger stage.

2. If you want a more neutral, flat sound that has a little bit of romance and more air of a traditional open headphone get the Universe Perf suede pads.

3. If you want a very flat headphone, with a little less dynamics but an accentuation of a flat frequency response curve get the Verite pads.

@zach915m , can you comment on where the BE2 pads fall with respect to the Universe Suede and Verite pads?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back