ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #571 of 6,756
today i tried aeolus along ether2, hek, ether c flow and grado gh2.... dac ares denafrips, audio gd precision something, wooaudio w22 .
aeolus pleased all my friends. even the spirit torino owner.
it pairs very well with wooaudio. smooth and musical.
since i can't afford that kind of amp, i was thinking about lyr2/lyr3....
some suggestions??
You should have had a headphone shootout with your friends!

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #572 of 6,756
I'm wondering this too. Both get praise and hype, but is the price of the Verite justified over Aeolus. I can't try ZMF headphones anywhere sadly, still really tempted to pull the trigger on either the Verite or Aeolus.

Personally I feel it does but it's subjective. The Aelous is really a fantastic headphone for the price without question. The Verites brings a crazy amount of texture, detail, and speed that makes you realize there's much more to music than what you originally thought.

It holds your attention.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #573 of 6,756
I too think the Aeolus is a great headphone at its price point,and like Phantaminium said its subjective as to whether or not its worth the price difference.
To me the Verite has all the fun factor and musicality of the Aeolus. The differences are the speed,the crazy good imaging and 3D of the sound stage.

I also think it depends alot on your upstream gear too. I didnt notice as much difference on the Aeolus as I do on the Verite when going from my vintage receivers to my GOTL.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #574 of 6,756
I too think the Aeolus is a great headphone at its price point,and like Phantaminium said its subjective as to whether or not its worth the price difference.
To me the Verite has all the fun factor and musicality of the Aeolus. The differences are the speed,the crazy good imaging and 3D of the sound stage.

I also think it depends alot on your upstream gear too. I didnt notice as much difference on the Aeolus as I do on the Verite when going from my vintage receivers to my GOTL.

i am honestly influenced by zeos review... as i have similar taste..
also i coudl afford only a lyr3 to pair

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #575 of 6,756

Hell, the Aeolus sounded great out of the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. That's not an expensive amp and adds a bit of tube euphony to the headphone if you happen to be looking for a hybrid tube solution.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #576 of 6,756

Fair enough.

I dont know what amp(s) he used for his review,but I am hearing something entirely different to what he did in his Verite review.
Probably re-enforces what I said above about what peripheral gear is being used.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #578 of 6,756
Hell, the Aeolus sounded great out of the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. That's not an expensive amp and adds a bit of tube euphony to the headphone if you happen to be looking for a hybrid tube solution.
It is hard to find in italy. Also i could keep only one amp amd lyr3 seems to be more powerful, it can drive planars as well.
I am searching the internet but i don't find anything else in that price range

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #579 of 6,756

I wouldn't say "only" a Lyr 3. I have the Lyr 3 and I think it's an awesome amp. Incredible value IMHO, more powerful and engaging than the Jot without requiring a balanced cable.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #580 of 6,756
I wouldn't say "only" a Lyr 3. I have the Lyr 3 and I think it's an awesome amp. Incredible value IMHO, more powerful and engaging than the Jot without requiring a balanced cable.

I mean "only" comparing to that wooaudio i tried. It goes for 2500 and my friend bought it second hand with all the tubes changed!! Best bargain of his life.
I hope to get that kind of tonality

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #581 of 6,756
Really enjoying the Aeolus so far! Overall technicalities are very good! On par with my HD650, slightly cleaner in the background but overall resolution is about the same. I find the Aeolus a bit more edgie than the 650 so they sound less smooth to me but a tad more exciting. They have that energy at around 6k like the Atticus that gives some focus a bit more bite.

I’d say that those looking for a sidegrade to the HD650 with a more premium feel will love these. They’re superior to my LCD-2C when it comes to resolve and vocals too but less clean on the bass.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #582 of 6,756
I am waiting for my pre-ordered Ziricote. Those comparisons to the HD650 are interesting. I have the HD650 and recently bought the HD800S and built a Bottlehead Mainline for it. The 800S/Mainline sounds great, but the Mainline actually breathed new life into my HD650 (especially on the balanced output) that I find myself listening to the HD650 more. I also prefer the tighter fit, as I have a small-ish head and find myself re-adjusting the HD800S alot.
I am now further curious to hear the Aeolus on the Mainline... seems like exactly what I am looking for.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #583 of 6,756
The Aeolus order sheets got a huge update, woohoo

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #584 of 6,756
I am waiting for my pre-ordered Ziricote. Those comparisons to the HD650 are interesting. I have the HD650 and recently bought the HD800S and built a Bottlehead Mainline for it. The 800S/Mainline sounds great, but the Mainline actually breathed new life into my HD650 (especially on the balanced output) that I find myself listening to the HD650 more. I also prefer the tighter fit, as I have a small-ish head and find myself re-adjusting the HD800S alot.
I am now further curious to hear the Aeolus on the Mainline... seems like exactly what I am looking for.
I’ve always felt the HD650 was wasted on lower end gear. I tend to find them very compressed on lower end equipment but with better gear like the Mainline they can really show how impressive they are. I’ve still not found a headphone that offers such a natural sound that’s so cohesive and smooth on the treble like the HD650. I also find them better than most high end headphones on good gear. I do wish sometimes that one day they’d be a direct upgrade that improves on the areas of the HD650 but I’m glad it remains a unique classic.

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #585 of 6,756
today i tried aeolus along ether2, hek, ether c flow and grado gh2.... dac ares denafrips, audio gd precision something, wooaudio w22 .
aeolus pleased all my friends. even the spirit torino owner.
it pairs very well with wooaudio. smooth and musical.
since i can't afford that kind of amp, i was thinking about lyr2/lyr3....
some suggestions??

The Autuer and Atticus sound more musical from the MCTH than the other solid state offerings I had on hand, LCX, THX AAA 789 and M9XX (source and dac/amp). Something about tubes and those dynamic drivers. The HD6XX I feel improves from the THX AAA 789 and MCTH, but in different and pleasant ways over most lower end gear and even the Emotiva A100 or M9XX alone. I have pretty much had a brand new M9XX sitting in the box since the first drop so with the THX AAA 789, they have come out and into the rotation.

For all these reasons and since I have the THX AAA 789 and don't own the MCTH, I'm seriously considering the Liquid Platinum. There have been quite a few comparisons of the Lyr 3 vs Liquid Platinum on that thread. More favorable to the LP, but not taking away from the Lyr 3 capability.

Still waiting for more impressions on the Aeolus Liquid Platinum pairing. Based on what I've heard so far, this might be a great match if you don't want to go full OTL but want a balanced hybrid approach to share duties with other amps and get some tube fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

• yapp
Back