ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 24, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #543 of 6,741
Back to the Aeolus; what are the sound differences i can expect between the Sapele Aeolus vs the Aeolus Ltd's Ziricote? Only had a chance to audition the Sapele.

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #544 of 6,741
The more I listen to the Aeolus, the more I am enjoying it! I've only given my LCD-2c and HE-500 headtime to compare with it, since I got the Aeolus. Especially since I got my La Figaro back; the Aeolus just sounds so good out of it. I am also really enjoying the Aeolus while watching anime. And I think I found a good tube combo to pair with it. Tung-Sol 7236s and Telefunken EF800s; these have good bass and really compliment the Aeolus to my ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #545 of 6,741
The more I listen to the Aeolus, the more I am enjoying it! I've only given my LCD-2c and HE-500 headtime to compare with it, since I got the Aeolus. Especially since I got my La Figaro back; the Aeolus just sounds so good out of it. I am also really enjoying the Aeolus while watching anime. And I think I found a good tube combo to pair with it. Tung-Sol 7236s and Telefunken EF800s; these have good bass and really compliment the Aeolus to my ears.

Could I get your impressions on The Aeolus compared to the LCD2C? I have the LCD2C as well, and Aeolus incoming sometime soon i hope. Reading that made me curious.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #546 of 6,741
Could I get your impressions on The Aeolus compared to the LCD2C? I have the LCD2C as well, and Aeolus incoming sometime soon i hope. Reading that made me curious.

So, here are some of my initial impressions:
They are darker than I expected. At least I think darkness is what I am hearing; I'd say it is that or warmth. These are the first pair of ZMF headphones I have heard and to me, they sound darker than my LCD-2c. Granted I am running them out of my Jot via a balanced cable. I am still waiting on my La Figaro to return from being repaired. Oh, and take my comments on sound with a grain of salt, I'm not that good at describing what I think headphones sound like.

To note, most of my listening with the LCD-2c has been with the Jot, as my La Figaro was in for repair, and my Aeolus listening has been on the La Figaro, since I received both within a few days of each other. And I stick to the Aeolus being darker/warmer than any of my other headphones, which are all listed in my profile with my other gear. As I mention, I am not sure if I am referring to their darkness or warmth, either way it is greater than the LCD-2c. But I don't find it as pronounced as when I first put on the Aeolus. I've also noticed the Aeolus have more bass impact than the LCD-2c, which I would say is about a slight to moderate increase. However, the LCD-2c bass sounds more detailed. I am using a Loki to increase 20Hz and 400Hz, but this is on both headphones. I find the Aeolus and LCD-2c are a good compliment to each other for me so far. Though the Aeolus are more comfortable and don't require as much adjustments, or as often, as the LCD-2c does.

I should also mention my LCD-2c have the velour Dekoni pads. I bought them with these pads already installed, so I have never heard them with the stock pads.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #547 of 6,741
ok well now after a few days spent listening to a lot of songs i can try to say my opinion, i'll try my best even if english is not my first language. i thought about sending pm in italian but honestly in italian i would have the same issues because aeolus is very unique.
my setup is audiolab m dac(probably the best dac i had) balanced to lake people g100 fe ( 900mw 300ohm very neutral). stock cable. so for those who "believe" in cables maybe it would improve further. i have to admin this cable is very cheap even for me that i don't care about cables.
i don't listen to classical and jazz.
comfort is very good, not ether2 good but VERY good.
bass is impactful and quite extended, better then atticus. doesn't bleed, very controlled not intrusive. i love it. personally i prefert it vs atticus.
mids are very sweet, but i remember one time with atticus i almost get moved listening to pictures of you, robert smith's voice was so organic, so real. i almost felt that if i opened my eyes i would find him in the room. so maybe atticus was even sweeter.
highs are like i like highs. not fatiguing even at high volume. no sibilance, no piercing.
i avoid comparing to hd650 because it has been so long i don't listen to it and also because.... STOP COMPARING ANYTHING TO AN HP THAT HAS 15 YEARS!
i mean.. it is a good hp, something every audiophile should have one time in his life...buy then go on..
vs lcd2. more comfortable,also whit aeolus you can hear everything is one the record, every particoular, lcd2 is a little muddier, it is also less punchier but still one of my favourites.
vs ether2....... here things get complicated....... at first they seemed to me very similar... then i realized that (even if on my setup maybe is a little underpowered) ether 2 is more "correct"...more hifi. they are both very smooth but i wouldn't call them veiled or muffled. ether is very light and disappear on your head, letting you alone with the music, so it more immersive.
if i could afford keeping them all i would do it. since i have to choose i choose aeolus.
it gives me that analogic, soft but detailed sound i like, it is one of the best hps i tried.
i prefered it even vs auteur, because auteur is too neutral for my tastes...
i listen to metallica, depeche mode, pop, rock, electronic... so i need a poliedric hp.
i almost forgot. sounstage is good... yes i know not hd800 good but who cares.
it is not airy like hifiman but still extended.
to me hek doesn't worth his price.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #549 of 6,741
ok well now after a few days spent listening to a lot of songs i can try to say my opinion, i'll try my best even if english is not my first language. i thought about sending pm in italian but honestly in italian i would have the same issues because aeolus is very unique.
my setup is audiolab m dac(probably the best dac i had) balanced to lake people g100 fe ( 900mw 300ohm very neutral). stock cable. so for those who "believe" in cables maybe it would improve further. i have to admin this cable is very cheap even for me that i don't care about cables.
i don't listen to classical and jazz.
comfort is very good, not ether2 good but VERY good.
bass is impactful and quite extended, better then atticus. doesn't bleed, very controlled not intrusive. i love it. personally i prefert it vs atticus.
mids are very sweet, but i remember one time with atticus i almost get moved listening to pictures of you, robert smith's voice was so organic, so real. i almost felt that if i opened my eyes i would find him in the room. so maybe atticus was even sweeter.
highs are like i like highs. not fatiguing even at high volume. no sibilance, no piercing.
i avoid comparing to hd650 because it has been so long i don't listen to it and also because.... STOP COMPARING ANYTHING TO AN HP THAT HAS 15 YEARS!
i mean.. it is a good hp, something every audiophile should have one time in his life...buy then go on..
vs lcd2. more comfortable,also whit aeolus you can hear everything is one the record, every particoular, lcd2 is a little muddier, it is also less punchier but still one of my favourites.
vs ether2....... here things get complicated....... at first they seemed to me very similar... then i realized that (even if on my setup maybe is a little underpowered) ether 2 is more "correct"...more hifi. they are both very smooth but i wouldn't call them veiled or muffled. ether is very light and disappear on your head, letting you alone with the music, so it more immersive.
if i could afford keeping them all i would do it. since i have to choose i choose aeolus.
it gives me that analogic, soft but detailed sound i like, it is one of the best hps i tried.
i prefered it even vs auteur, because auteur is too neutral for my tastes...
i listen to metallica, depeche mode, pop, rock, electronic... so i need a poliedric hp.
i almost forgot. sounstage is good... yes i know not hd800 good but who cares.
it is not airy like hifiman but still extended.
to me hek doesn't worth his price.
Ok, great! Now send them my way a couple of days for auditioning and we're good, I'll pay shipping both ways :)
Nice impressions btw!

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #550 of 6,741
Ok, great! Now send them my way a couple of days for auditioning and we're good, I'll pay shipping both ways :)
Nice impressions btw!

you are welcome

In the meantime, I have to say that struments separation is top notch, also listening to one of my favorite test tracks (dreams fleetwood Mac ) during the chorus you can hear the 3 voices very clear.
Level of detail is like an ether c flow but without being analitical, dry and... Boring! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #552 of 6,741
you are welcome

In the meantime, I have to say that struments separation is top notch, also listening to one of my favorite test tracks (dreams fleetwood Mac ) during the chorus you can hear the 3 voices very clear.
Level of detail is like an ether c flow but without being analitical, dry and... Boring! Lol

Thats some serious praise! hoping ill feel thesame when mine finally arrives.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #554 of 6,741
what differences are between the two kind of pads? thx

Initially I really liked the Universe pads on the Aeolus, but as I've been able to spend more time with them, I've slightly shifted my preference to the Verite pads. I like the staging a bit more with the flatter pads as it creates a more head-wrapping, in-your-face soundstage (as opposed to a more traditional one with the Universe pads). Also of note, the Verite pads aren't quite as comfortable due to being more shallow than the Universe pads. I think this will come down to personal preference for a lot of people though. My advice would be to get both pads and see which suits you better. They're also so easy to swap, you can potentially match each pad up with specific genre's, etc...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back