ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 14, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #5,612 of 6,733
what wood and cable is that? looks amazing!
The wood is LTD Camphor Burl. The cable is Norne Audio Vygarde (black with copper tracers).

May 14, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #5,613 of 6,733
What does sound like poo means ? Meaning its bad ?
Too cryptic I guess. I was referring to "listening to ice cream" as the other post hinted at.
@Pharmaboy said "But unlike earpads, ice cream cones don't fit well over one's ears and make one helluva mess."

Sorry to derail the conversation with bad humor. Unfortunately it's the only humor I have.
(There's a good humor ice cream joke in here somewhere, but I'll spare you)

May 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #5,614 of 6,733
Too cryptic I guess. I was referring to "listening to ice cream" as the other post hinted at.
@Pharmaboy said "But unlike earpads, ice cream cones don't fit well over one's ears and make one helluva mess."

Sorry to derail the conversation with bad humor. Unfortunately it's the only humor I have.
🍦😝🤢

May 16, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #5,615 of 6,733

Silly me. I thought you meant poo the bear.

May 17, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #5,617 of 6,733
Just got my Aeolus back from the ZMF Team. Installed a crescent band, replaced grille & rods, titan acoustic mesh and wood rebuff.

SUPER happy with them.

Acoustic mesh helps a lot. Noticeable air added. I don't have any measurement equipment but sounds like a 2db boost in the upper treble.

Couldn't be more happy with them.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpg
    IMG_3451.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3452.jpg
    IMG_3452.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #5,618 of 6,733
Just got my Aeolus back from the ZMF Team. Installed a crescent band, replaced grille & rods, titan acoustic mesh and wood rebuff.

SUPER happy with them.

Acoustic mesh helps a lot. Noticeable air added. I don't have any measurement equipment but sounds like a 2db boost in the upper treble.

Couldn't be more happy with them.
Looking at your headphones, which one do you think is a better compliment to Aeolus? Arya SE or LCD-X? I'm thinking Arya because it's a wider more detailed headphone.

May 18, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,619 of 6,733
Looking at your headphones, which one do you think is a better compliment to Aeolus? Arya SE or LCD-X? I'm thinking Arya because it's a wider more detailed headphone.
Yeah, you're correct.

Arya is considerably more detailed with a much wider stage compared to LCDX 2021.

However, if you already own an Edition X V2 you've already got the HiFiMan house sound in your collection. The Audeze sounds nothing like the Arya so that might be a better move for you.

May 18, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #5,620 of 6,733
Yeah, you're correct.

Arya is considerably more detailed with a much wider stage compared to LCDX 2021.

However, if you already own an Edition X V2 you've already got the HiFiMan house sound in your collection. The Audeze sounds nothing like the Arya so that might be a better move for you.
Nah, I've sold my Edition X a year ago. I miss the way it presented sound though, So I think I'll go with the Arya. I'm not sure if I can handle the weight of LCD-X.

May 18, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #5,621 of 6,733
Nah, I've sold my Edition X a year ago. I miss the way it presented sound though, So I think I'll go with the Arya. I'm not sure if I can handle the weight of LCD-X.
I've heard really god things about the Arya, but I've not heard it myself. I hope to hear your impressions!!

May 18, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #5,622 of 6,733
I've heard really god things about the Arya, but I've not heard it myself. I hope to hear your impressions!!
Don't mean to derail the conversation as this is an Aeolus thread but I think the Arya Stealth is a perfect compliment to Aeolus.

The Arya is a detail monster. Super high level of technicalities and is one of the best price to performance ratios in a headphone I've heard. The bass is very well extended and has near perfect treble.

In comparison to the Aeolus the Arya is cold and sterile. The bass is well extended but quite dry with no real decay. And the HiFiMan house sound is the polar opposite to the ZMF house sound.

Obviously the Arya beats the Aeolus for technical performance but the build quality, aesthetics and overall comfort goes to Aeolus for me. Aeolus has a magic to it's sound that no HiFiMan's can compare to which is why I think that's a great compliment to fill out a collection.

May 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,623 of 6,733
Don't mean to derail the conversation as this is an Aeolus thread but I think the Arya Stealth is a perfect compliment to Aeolus.

The Arya is a detail monster. Super high level of technicalities and is one of the best price to performance ratios in a headphone I've heard. The bass is very well extended and has near perfect treble.

In comparison to the Aeolus the Arya is cold and sterile. The bass is well extended but quite dry with no real decay. And the HiFiMan house sound is the polar opposite to the ZMF house sound.

Obviously the Arya beats the Aeolus for technical performance but the build quality, aesthetics and overall comfort goes to Aeolus for me. Aeolus has a magic to it's sound that no HiFiMan's can compare to which is why I think that's a great compliment to fill out a collection.
I completely agree with this! Though when you just live in the Arya's sound, without comparing it to the Aeolus, it can really surprise with its musiciality. It has a warmth in the lower midrange that's surprisingly realistic and pleasing. And I find myself bouncing back and forth between the Aeolus and Arya for comfort. I like how on the Arya my elephant ears are nowhere near the driver and can rest easy without making contact with anything.

Still, I consider the Arya (even the Stealth Magnet) to be pretty genre-specific headphones, mostly for classical/orchestral/soundtracks, whereas I can listen to literally anything with the Aeolus, including all those genres I listen to with the Arya.

And I think you've been considering this for a while, right @Arghavan? If you feel like taking the jump, I'll vouch for the open box deals directly from Hifiman, which really save a lot of money. Not only are they really good quality (in all cases I've seen indistinguishable from new), but the 30-day return policy on them, which is usually not the case for open-box deals, is graciously honored. Curious to hear your thoughts if you get a pair!

May 18, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #5,624 of 6,733
I completely agree with this! Though when you just live in the Arya's sound, without comparing it to the Aeolus, it can really surprise with its musiciality. It has a warmth in the lower midrange that's surprisingly realistic and pleasing. And I find myself bouncing back and forth between the Aeolus and Arya for comfort. I like how on the Arya my elephant ears are nowhere near the driver and can rest easy without making contact with anything.

Still, I consider the Arya (even the Stealth Magnet) to be pretty genre-specific headphones, mostly for classical/orchestral/soundtracks, whereas I can listen to literally anything with the Aeolus, including all those genres I listen to with the Arya.

And I think you've been considering this for a while, right @Arghavan? If you feel like taking the jump, I'll vouch for the open box deals directly from Hifiman, which really save a lot of money. Not only are they really good quality (in all cases I've seen indistinguishable from new), but the 30-day return policy on them, which is usually not the case for open-box deals, is graciously honored. Curious to hear your thoughts if you get a pair!
Wow. I totally agree with your thoughts eerily to a tee. I use my Arya's exclusively with Film Score and Orchestral as well. I don't mind them with the right chain with other genres but for Rock i'd always use my ZMF's and for Hip-Hop or RnB I'd rather use my LCDX or Radiance with Bass Boost.

May 18, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,625 of 6,733
Wow. I totally agree with your thoughts eerily to a tee. I use my Arya's exclusively with Film Score and Orchestral as well. I don't mind them with the right chain with other genres but for Rock i'd always use my ZMF's and for Hip-Hop or RnB I'd rather use my LCDX or Radiance with Bass Boost.
Well then, I'll have to hit you up if I ever want impressions on headphones you have or have owned! Always good to know someone who hears things in a very similar way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back