ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,922 of 6,740
Nothing relevatory to report, just more wonderful listening with my Sapele Aeolus (OG Pendant and Bifrost 2).

Listening to Bitches Brew and feeling thoroughly transfixed...Zach obviously knows how to run the voodoo down when making headphones.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,923 of 6,740
Nothing relevatory to report, just more wonderful listening with my Sapele Aeolus (OG Pendant and Bifrost 2).

Listening to Bitches Brew and feeling thoroughly transfixed...Zach obviously knows how to run the voodoo down when making headphones.
…and leaves the competitors feeling kind of blue; they find their offerings left on the shelf in a silent way…

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,925 of 6,740
I think if there are any sonic changes they are likely very subtle In nature.

I wasn’t looking to change the sound though so much as eliminate some annoyances with the original Bopp mesh filters (flex / annoying popping noise), and in that respect the new filters are great. zero noise or flex when I put the ‘phones on, adjust them or move my head.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #4,926 of 6,740
HI, so does the new mesh change the headphone sonically ? By how much though ?
Zach did mention that he tuned the new filter carefully so that there should be next to zero sonic change though I can't account for the occasional placebo effect.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #4,929 of 6,740
What is the reason for that beautiful mesh design ? Is there any functional reason for it ?

OK! So here's the down low on the new mesh!
giphy.gif

We changed to this new material that was custom made for us for a number of reasons and we find it superior to the Bopp mesh in use and aesthetic. The Bopp mesh if you have it, does the exact same thing sonically, so please don't fret that it's any kind of acoustical upgrade, because it isn't.

A. The new mesh is titanium coated acoustic fabric. It will not tarnish and is pliable, it will be mostly silent and you will never get the "pops" that you got from the steel.

B. Being not made from steel but a thin layer of titanium, we can now laser cut whatever pattern we want and do tests on our HATS unit to make sure it's exactly the sonics we're after. On the aeolus, we cut these holes specifically to control the damping, and allow the most "nodal" airflow possible while damping the treble areas as desired. We tested about 8 different patterns. In the end in this case we were after exactly what the old mesh did.

C. The new mesh is easier to install and allows us not only to be more efficient in installing it in the workshop, but much easier for you to install it on your headphones.

We will have the new mesh on the website shortly so you can buy it for your aeolus or auteur. The auteur will come without holes as that configuration is best for the auteur, where-as the less damped version with laser cuts is best for the aeolus.

Hope that all makes sense! Any questions let me know!

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #4,930 of 6,740
Aeolus on a tube amp with solid state charateristics is awesome

IMG_20211017_081816.jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #4,935 of 6,740
"Your ZMF is being sanded and finished!"
Now I'm anxious. I wonder what the time line is now. It's only been a couple weeks, but feels like months. :beyersmile:

If I remember correctly that's the second of three updates (1 - Wood selection, machining; 2 - Sanding and finishing; 3 - Assembly). I had three weeks between steps 2 and 3 and then two months between step 3 and shipping. That was in Q2 this year for the Verite. So you could be looking good for Christmas? Heck of a present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back