ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 13, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,621 of 6,734
Hey guys. I recently placed my order on a pair of Aeolus. I have a good solid state amp but I want to taste some of that tube sound too. The problem is I don't have much budget left. What is the cheapest tube amp/buffer that you'd recommend? (Under 250$) OTL or Hybrid.
I've heard good things about xDuoo amps and also Little Dot.
I think Little Dot is a good choice. The MK II (which I have not heard) is a bit under your budget and the MK III (which I have and like) is a bit over (near $300 IIRC). Though I agree with another poster that the Schiit Valhalla 2, which I like a lot in general and with the Aeolus, is probably the best overall choice here if your budget can stretch that far, though the Little Dots may give you a more traditional tubey sound.

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #4,622 of 6,734
Hey guys. I recently placed my order on a pair of Aeolus. I have a good solid state amp but I want to taste some of that tube sound too. The problem is I don't have much budget left. What is the cheapest tube amp/buffer that you'd recommend? (Under 250$) OTL or Hybrid.
I've heard good things about xDuoo amps and also Little Dot.
Another option I've heard good things about are the Garage 1217 amps. I've not heard one myself, but some trusted ears have given them a thumbs up for the price. The Solstice & Sunrise (hybrids) are about $220 for a kit you build & about $260 pre-built. Obviously cheaper used. They have other options as well that I haven't heard about...either way good luck!

http://garage1217.com/index.html

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #4,623 of 6,734
Is the Liquid Platinum really that good for the Aeolus? Do the tubes in this hybrid make an audible difference?

I’ve seen that it measures well, but I’m wondering if an LP genuinely sounds better than, say, a Topping solid state (on this headphone). Has anyone A/B’d amps and feels confident that one sounds better than another?

I’m starting to shy away from measurements and get folks’ personal experiences.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,624 of 6,734
Is the Liquid Platinum really that good for the Aeolus? Do the tubes in this hybrid make an audible difference?

I’ve seen that it measures well, but I’m wondering if an LP genuinely sounds better than, say, a Topping solid state (on this headphone). Has anyone A/B’d amps and feels confident that one sounds better than another?

I had a Liquid Platinum and it was 90% good. The 10% bad was the bass - on many songs, it had no impact or heft. Maybe different tubes could fix that, I'm not sure. The LP was powerful, dynamic, and musical, which made the missing bass impact stick out even more.

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,626 of 6,734
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,627 of 6,734
When I first revived my Aeolus I was working with a 789, a LP and a Darkvoice. That order is in my opinion worst to best when pairing with the Aeolus. With worst being very good. Tube rolling with the DV is much more gratifying than with the LP (IMO) and I have since sold off the LP in favor of a zmf pendant. I use the pendant almost exclusively with my Verite closed but the Aeolus stay glued to the DV with some tube updates.
I bring this up because you note being interested in personal preference over measurements. I’m sure the DV measures like crap compared to the LP but you can buy a DV and some awesome tubes to try out for the cost of a LP on sale… and my personal preference was DV over LP even though yes I believe the tubes in the hybrid do make a difference for the better over the 789 (for example).

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,628 of 6,734

The LP is an upgrade for ZMF dynamics over the THX type solid state amps for sure. Biggest thing I personally notice is the LP brings some "3D-ness" and dimensionality to the sound. You get a larger stage as well.

Some prefer the SS Topping amps that measure really well, but those amps are not measured with your ears.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #4,629 of 6,734
When I first revived my Aeolus I was working with a 789, a LP and a Darkvoice. That order is in my opinion worst to best when pairing with the Aeolus. With worst being very good. Tube rolling with the DV is much more gratifying than with the LP (IMO) and I have since sold off the LP in favor of a zmf pendant. I use the pendant almost exclusively with my Verite closed but the Aeolus stay glued to the DV with some tube updates.
I bring this up because you note being interested in personal preference over measurements. I’m sure the DV measures like crap compared to the LP but you can buy a DV and some awesome tubes to try out for the cost of a LP on sale… and my personal preference was DV over LP even though yes I believe the tubes in the hybrid do make a difference for the better over the 789 (for example).
Firstly, thank you all for the excellent replies. Amp picking is sometimes even more convoluted than picking a headphone. I have heard the gamut of impressions from:
- “tubes are best on brighter headphones”
- “tubes make the Aeolus too dark”
- “hybrids are not worth it, just get a tube”
- “tubes measure terribly, just get a solid state”

Is the Darkvoice/LP good for the Aeolus only with specific tubes? Does it make it too dark? And some amps have way too much gain— is this a problem with the LP or Darkvoice?

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #4,630 of 6,734
Firstly, thank you all for the excellent replies. Amp picking is sometimes even more convoluted than picking a headphone. I have heard the gamut of impressions from:

Is the Darkvoice/LP good for the Aeolus only with specific tubes? Does it make it too dark? And some amps have way too much gain— is this a problem with the LP or Darkvoice?
It IS convoluted! But when you find the right combo, it’s totally worth it.

I’ll pitch in that I prefer the sound of the Crack to both the DV and LP. The DV was just a little too dark for me, and I agree that the LP sounded good as well, but just didn’t punch as hard as an OTL. I didn’t find it too dark, just not as engaging.

The Crack on the other hand brings some clarity out of the upper mids that even a SS like my FA-10 doesn’t do. It really adds to the realism and physicality of the Aeolus. The LP didn’t really do that for me either. The Crack and the DV also added a wider, more 3D soundstage, while the soundstage of the LP left something to be desired.

If a Crack is a possibility, I really prefer it to everything else in that price range, but if you can only get a DV you might just have to live with a little more warmth that you want sometimes. A Valhalla 2 is another option, bigger stage and even brighter than the Crack…all my own subjective impressions!

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #4,631 of 6,734
It IS convoluted! But when you find the right combo, it’s totally worth it.

I’ll pitch in that I prefer the sound of the Crack to both the DV and LP. The DV was just a little too dark for me, and I agree that the LP sounded good as well, but just didn’t punch as hard as an OTL. I didn’t find it too dark, just not as engaging.

The Crack on the other hand brings some clarity out of the upper mids that even a SS like my FA-10 doesn’t do. It really adds to the realism and physicality of the Aeolus. The LP didn’t really do that for me either. The Crack and the DV also added a wider, more 3D soundstage, while the soundstage of the LP left something to be desired.

If a Crack is a possibility, I really prefer it to everything else in that price range, but if you can only get a DV you might just have to live with a little more warmth that you want sometimes. A Valhalla 2 is another option, bigger stage and even brighter than the Crack…all my own subjective impressions!
I’d be thrilled with a Bottlehead Crack, but me and my two left hands would surely fail at building one.

eh, maybe I should take a crack at it…

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #4,632 of 6,734
I’d be thrilled with a Bottlehead Crack, but me and my two left hands would surely fail at building one.

Lol I see what you did there!

You never know though. I learned to solder with my Crack, and it worked out great.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #4,633 of 6,734

This is a very good point IMO....all of the above are true...and false IMO. Some tube amps re indeed quite "syrupy" and not a great match for the Aeolus, some are designed differently. The same with hybrids...some are better than others, and there's always the matter of preferences. I always say "One man's detailed headphone is another's "too bright" headphone. It can be quite a journey.

The bottom line is, I don't think there's an easy answer. It really does depend on tha amp, as well as the rest of the chain (DAC & headphones, possibly as well as wires depending on what you believe). What @haasaaroni is saying is quite right...the synergy can be key. Also knowing what your preferences are obviously and trying to build your system accordingly.

The best bet is usually to find someone who reviewed something you're familiar with. If their views match your own you might be able to glean something useful from their experiences, but that's not always so easy to find. If you have specific questions we all do what we can to answer...hopefully in a helpful way.

The good news is that the Aeolus sounds good from most amps IMO...some are definitely better than others, but I haven't heard Aeolus sound actually bad on anything (yet...of course YMMV). If you find a good rapport with someone who's opinion you seem to agree with/trust try a PM & see if you can get any more info.

And please let us know what you decide! lots of luck...

Edit: I realize that I didn't address the measurements issue. I do think it's true that tubes in general measure less favorably than solid state amps, but for whatever reason I don't think that there is (usually) an audible...penalty if you will. Lots of theories abound regarding the reasons, but to my ears a good tube amp often beats a good SS amp.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #4,634 of 6,734

You definitely should - it's completely worth it. Not only does the Aeolus sound out of this world with the Crack, the added satisfaction of listening to a kit you've built is irreplaceable. Get a practice project (these were mine: link 1, link 2) and take your time. The instructions are incredibly well written with helpful photos, and there are several checkpoints where you can test your work to make sure everything is working properly before you plug in your headphones. There are so many tube rolling combinations with the Crack you will surely find a combination that suits your preferences. I would only describe a handful of combos I tried as "too warm" for my tastes.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,635 of 6,734
You definitely should - it's completely worth it. Not only does the Aeolus sound out of this world with the Crack, the added satisfaction of listening to a kit you've built is irreplaceable. Get a practice project (these were mine: link 1, link 2) and take your time. The instructions are incredibly well written with helpful photos, and there are several checkpoints where you can test your work to make sure everything is working properly before you plug in your headphones. There are so many tube rolling combinations with the Crack you will surely find a combination that suits your preferences. I would only describe a handful of combos I tried as "too warm" for my tastes.
Nicest gang of crack peddlers I’ve ever met…

Thanks for all the great and detailed responses! I think I’ll try building a Bottlehead Crack. What could go wrong?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back