ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 31, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4,592 of 6,615
Jun 3, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,593 of 6,615
I read you can burn in new tubes and headphones at the same time. Am I doing it right? :wink:

IMG_3143.JPG

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #4,596 of 6,615
I’m curious if anyone has tried an Aeolus with:
- Dragonfly Cobalt
- Hidizs S9
- lower tier Xduoo amps (MT-602, etc)

Budget somewhat constrained so trying to use what I have, or spend a minimum to start with. Thanks!

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,597 of 6,615
How are the Woo Audio amps with the Aeolus? I'm looking at their offerings, and the WA6 and WA7 Fireflies seem like something I could justify the price of, and they look really good too. Any sound impressions? At around a thousand bucks (so maybe 1100-ish euros for me all told), they'd have to offer something completely different from my iFi Black Label, though. For some context, I'm not a critical listener and couldn't, for example, really notice any differences between the BL and the Magni 3 + Topping D10 stack I had before it.

Very curious about tube amps still, but the more I read about them, the more it seems like many of them are really quite close to good SS amps in sound. Which I suppose isn't an issue per se, but I'm interested in something that'd definitely be a whole different flavor from your typical SS amp.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #4,598 of 6,615
How are the Woo Audio amps with the Aeolus? I'm looking at their offerings, and the WA6 and WA7 Fireflies seem like something I could justify the price of, and they look really good too. Any sound impressions? At around a thousand bucks (so maybe 1100-ish euros for me all told), they'd have to offer something completely different from my iFi Black Label, though. For some context, I'm not a critical listener and couldn't, for example, really notice any differences between the BL and the Magni 3 + Topping D10 stack I had before it.

Very curious about tube amps still, but the more I read about them, the more it seems like many of them are really quite close to good SS amps in sound. Which I suppose isn't an issue per se, but I'm interested in something that'd definitely be a whole different flavor from your typical SS amp.
Have you considered something like the Darkvoice? With the right tubes that can really alter the sound. As it's not expensive, it leaves you plenty of money left over to try a few different tubes. I've been told the Feliks Echo is also great with the Aeolus.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #4,599 of 6,615
Have you considered something like the Darkvoice? With the right tubes that can really alter the sound. As it's not expensive, it leaves you plenty of money left over to try a few different tubes. I've been told the Feliks Echo is also great with the Aeolus.

Yeah, Darkvoice is one that keeps popping up here and there, and one that people often describe as having a very tube-y sound - so, I would imagine, definitely a different flavor from solid state. Tor Audio's Roger and Nick amps seem like they'd be in the same very tube-y vein, but impressions on them seem more rare.

I was planning on getting the Echo before, but it's actually one of those where I've read enough folks say it's pretty close to their solid state amps in sound that I figure my experience would likely be the same and the amp would probably not be worth the asking price. Especially now that it got a major hike with mk II.

Jun 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #4,600 of 6,615

I much prefer the Woo WA2 compared to the Dark Voice. I had too many hum issues with the Dark Voice, and then the gain increase with cap mod to eliminate the hum was annoying for me.

I don’t have golden ears or anything, but I do notice obvious issues, like hum or scratchy/peaky treble, severely rolled off sub bass. I didn’t notice anything offensive switching back and forth from my Asgard 3 and the WA2. I much preferred getting lost in the music while staring at the tube glow in my evening listening sessions, compared to any other amp I have owned. That alone makes it worth it for me.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #4,601 of 6,615
I'm planning to order the Aeolus have wondering if someone can shed light on the pads. I've seen the stock pads referred to as the Aeolus pads in videos/reviews and are a modified version of the Universe just for the Aeolus. When I add the headphones to my cart it asks me to select pads and Aeolus isn't an option. Universe Lamb, Universe Suede, Universe Hybrid, and BE2 Lamb are the options. Note this is the main selection section which is different from the Add Additional Earpads option.

If I choose Universe Suede from the main section, does this mean that I'll receive only those pads? Do two types of Universe Suede exist, one for Aeolus only and one as a universal pad for everything else? I'm just confused by the repeated Aeolus Pad reference when it doesn't even seem to be an option.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #4,602 of 6,615
I'm planning to order the Aeolus have wondering if someone can shed light on the pads. I've seen the stock pads referred to as the Aeolus pads in videos/reviews and are a modified version of the Universe just for the Aeolus. When I add the headphones to my cart it asks me to select pads and Aeolus isn't an option. Universe Lamb, Universe Suede, Universe Hybrid, and BE2 Lamb are the options. Note this is the main selection section which is different from the Add Additional Earpads option.

If I choose Universe Suede from the main section, does this mean that I'll receive only those pads? Do two types of Universe Suede exist, one for Aeolus only and one as a universal pad for everything else? I'm just confused by the repeated Aeolus Pad reference when it doesn't even seem to be an option.

Aeolus pad was replaced by the Universe pad. See here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-aeolus-impressions-thread.890441/page-244#post-16132522

Whatever you pick in that first section on the order page is what you will get as default. If you choose Universe Suede, that's all you'll get.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #4,605 of 6,615

I can't speak on behalf of Woo Audio amps as I have not heard any of them. The only phrase that stuck in my head is they sound very close to solid state amps. Very dynamic and fast but it also depends on the tubes you use. The Darkvoice is a great start but the volume pot is very cheap. I had one since last October and it lasted me 4 months until it started to develop this nasty channel imbalance. I have to do some DIY work to change it when I have some free time to kill. Feliks Audio offering like the Echo, yes, some say it sounds very close to solid state but you might get a more "tubey" sound if you swap the tubes. I myself got the Feliks Elise two days ago for 1248 Euros. It's supposed to be the most warm sounding out of all the Feliks Audio amps, the most "tubey" if you will but what does tubey really mean... Pairs excellent with the Aeolus. It calms them down just a bit and they have a bit more decay. Not as fast and accurate as a solid state like my built in amp on the RME DAC but more fun and more of what I'm after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back