ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #4,366 of 6,728
Was universe perforated leather the one that replaced the previous Aeolus-exclusive leather pads? Wondering how different the sound between the two is.

e: Switched the stock leather pads back in and I'm ashamed to say that I'm honestly not hearing that much difference between the two lol. Getting the same warm, pleasant, bassy vibe, with just a smidge more mid-bass slam. Maybe it'd be obvious if A/B'ing was easy, but as it is, changing the pads is so cumbersome that going back and forth multiple times is just not gonna happen. I think I'll stick with these for a couple of days and then try changing back again.

e2: okay, enjoying the added slam a LOT. I can't wait to pair these cans with something like the Jot 2 and get the ZMF stand and a proper pair of earbuds and finish my audio journey (for now).

e3: whoops, half an hour past my usual bed time. I don't want to stop listening.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4,367 of 6,728
Was universe perforated leather the one that replaced the previous Aeolus-exclusive leather pads? Wondering how different the sound between the two is.

e: Switched the stock leather pads back in and I'm ashamed to say that I'm honestly not hearing that much difference between the two lol. Getting the same warm, pleasant, bassy vibe, with just a smidge more mid-bass slam. Maybe it'd be obvious if A/B'ing was easy, but as it is, changing the pads is so cumbersome that going back and forth multiple times is just not gonna happen. I think I'll stick with these for a couple of days and then try changing back again.

e2: okay, enjoying the added slam a LOT. I can't wait to pair these cans with something like the Jot 2 and get the ZMF stand and a proper pair of earbuds and finish my audio journey (for now).

e3: whoops, half an hour past my usual bed time. I don't want to stop listening.

If you want to try and A/B-ing the pads just hold them against the cups and put them on your head. Don't actually attach them to the wood cups. That way it's much easier and faster to go back and forth.

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #4,368 of 6,728
If you want to try and A/B-ing the pads just hold them against the cups and put them on your head. Don't actually attach them to the wood cups. That way it's much easier and faster to go back and forth.

That's a banging idea, why didn't I think of that. I'll have to give this a try come weekend.

--

Here's a weird question: how do those of yall who do such things measure how loud you're listening? I feel like I'm listening to music pretty loud on the Aeolus compared to my other headphones, so I'd like to get an approximate measurement of just how loud that is so I know if I can even safely listen to them like that for hours on end. I could just stick my phone inside the cup with some dB measurement app on, but I assume it's reporting much lower numbers than when you're actually listening to them since there's no seal? I know I'm in a quiet apartment and all that, but it's only reporting numbers around 50 to 60dB and I'm wondering if that could be true.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #4,369 of 6,728
Try the Meterk Decibel Meter or something similar. I measured 80 dB or so for my typical listening level, with spikes toward 85 dB.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,370 of 6,728
That's a banging idea, why didn't I think of that. I'll have to give this a try come weekend.

--

Here's a weird question: how do those of yall who do such things measure how loud you're listening? I feel like I'm listening to music pretty loud on the Aeolus compared to my other headphones, so I'd like to get an approximate measurement of just how loud that is so I know if I can even safely listen to them like that for hours on end. I could just stick my phone inside the cup with some dB measurement app on, but I assume it's reporting much lower numbers than when you're actually listening to them since there's no seal? I know I'm in a quiet apartment and all that, but it's only reporting numbers around 50 to 60dB and I'm wondering if that could be true.
I just use an app on the phone.put the microfone in the middle of the headphone and close the cups. Other way is to measure per side. Phone on a flat surface and one of the cups sealing it over the microphone. It’s not perfect, but gives a good idea. It works for IEMs and heaphones.

i found out that I was listening to IEMs on around 100db. Killing myself. Today is around 80 and anything over that average actually hurts.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #4,371 of 6,728
I could certainly get a decibel meter, but that wouldn't fix my main issue: how to measure accurately (i.e. actually seal the mic inside the cup).

Other way is to measure per side. Phone on a flat surface and one of the cups sealing it over the microphone. It’s not perfect, but gives a good idea. It works for IEMs and heaphones.

This is an interesting idea, though I'm getting wildly varying numbers with different apps. With a particularly treble heavy song playing at a level that I'd definitely find uncomfortable (thought not entirely unlistenable) I'm getting "rustling leaves" or "a quiet street" with one app lmao.

Wish there was a decibel meter that had the mic (or whatever it technically is) at the end of a longer cord that I could just straight up stick inside the cup while I wear the headphones. I was thinking that Airpods would be perfect for this (wear the Airpods normally and the headphones on them) but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my phone to report the noise the Airpods' mics are picking up - I guess it's impossible.

I don't know if this "method" makes a lick of sense, but I also put one of those online tone generators on, blasting pure 500hz sine wave measured between 60 and 66dB (it kind of waxed and waned when I moved closer to the speakers and further away from them - probably the room messing with the sound?) and I could very clearly hear it through the music, so I dunno, I guess it's maybe not above 70dB after all. I think it's definitely a bit more than "rustling leaves", though.

Maybe I'm being a bit ridiculous with this, but I have relatively minor tinnitus as it is and it's already really ****ing annoying. I definitely don't want to make it any worse.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #4,372 of 6,728
I could certainly get a decibel meter, but that wouldn't fix my main issue: how to measure accurately (i.e. actually seal the mic inside the cup).

This is an interesting idea, though I'm getting wildly varying numbers with different apps. With a particularly treble heavy song playing at a level that I'd definitely find uncomfortable (thought not entirely unlistenable) I'm getting "rustling leaves" or "a quiet street" with one app lmao.

Wish there was a decibel meter that had the mic (or whatever it technically is) at the end of a longer cord that I could just straight up stick inside the cup while I wear the headphones. I was thinking that Airpods would be perfect for this (wear the Airpods normally and the headphones on them) but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my phone to report the noise the Airpods' mics are picking up - I guess it's impossible.

I don't know if this "method" makes a lick of sense, but I also put one of those online tone generators on, blasting pure 500hz sine wave measured between 60 and 66dB (it kind of waxed and waned when I moved closer to the speakers and further away from them - probably the room messing with the sound?) and I could very clearly hear it through the music, so I dunno, I guess it's maybe not above 70dB after all. I think it's definitely a bit more than "rustling leaves", though.

Maybe I'm being a bit ridiculous with this, but I have relatively minor tinnitus as it is and it's already really ****ing annoying. I definitely don't want to make it any worse.
Yeah, doesn’t look it’s working alright.

I just use my S10e. I know it’s not perfect, but it gave a good i

I don’t think Airpods wouldn’t work well because of the multiple microphones and DSP it has.

BTW, i got this idea from a @Currawong video. He may have ideas on how to measure sound pressure to help protect our ears.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #4,373 of 6,728

Stick the multimeter in the cups and cover it with your hand, pushing down the multimetere with your hand on the edge of the pads will create a seal.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #4,374 of 6,728
Another thing is to compare volume level with the AirPods since an iPhone can tell you how loud it’s playing. Compare it to your headphone volume level. Mine are about close and to the apps and I find I can’t go much higher than 70-75 without getting fatigued on any headphone.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,375 of 6,728
Another thing is to compare volume level with the AirPods since an iPhone can tell you how loud it’s playing. Compare it to your headphone volume level. Mine are about close and to the apps and I find I can’t go much higher than 70-75 without getting fatigued on any headphone.
The pressure compared to volume perception with IEM is different to headphones. Just be careful, the pressure with In ears is much higher. Again, @Currawong explanation on that was really good and I checked myself.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #4,376 of 6,728
Hey Guys, anyone here pair the Aeolus with ifi Signature?

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,377 of 6,728
You know what? **** it. I was planning on prioritizing my desktop setup, but I'm starting to feel like I should get a portable amp first. I'm finding myself enjoying the act of just listening to music with the Aeolus more and more every day, which has been surprisingly rare for me before - usually music is just something I have on the background when I do whatever, something I might really listen to in just very short bursts. But my whole setup is on the same desk where I write spaghetti code for living and shitpost on forums and distract myself from the ever-looming abyss with videogames, so it's not a great spot for just pure music listening.

So I think I'm gonna order the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label when I get paid later this week. Unlike the Schiit products I've been planning on getting (Jot 2 + Bifrost 2), it's actually in stock, in a nearby store even, so it's something I can get right now too. If it sounds good enough, I might as well replace my desktop setup with it for the time being, too. I wish it had some proper EQ stuff built in so I wouldn't have to mess around with iOS Spotify's garbage EQ (I really hope I can recreate the 200hz low shelf I have on my PC there), but I'm really excited to hear the bass boost thing.

Signature and Diablo have slightly more neutral or less warm sound signatures compared to the BL, right? I mean I'd probably go for the BL anyway since it's by far the cheapest, but I'm curious.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #4,378 of 6,728
You know what? **** it. I was planning on prioritizing my desktop setup, but I'm starting to feel like I should get a portable amp first. I'm finding myself enjoying the act of just listening to music with the Aeolus more and more every day, which has been surprisingly rare for me before - usually music is just something I have on the background when I do whatever, something I might really listen to in just very short bursts. But my whole setup is on the same desk where I write spaghetti code for living and shitpost on forums and distract myself from the ever-looming abyss with videogames, so it's not a great spot for just pure music listening.

So I think I'm gonna order the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label when I get paid later this week. Unlike the Schiit products I've been planning on getting (Jot 2 + Bifrost 2), it's actually in stock, in a nearby store even, so it's something I can get right now too. If it sounds good enough, I might as well replace my desktop setup with it for the time being, too. I wish it had some proper EQ stuff built in so I wouldn't have to mess around with iOS Spotify's garbage EQ (I really hope I can recreate the 200hz low shelf I have on my PC there), but I'm really excited to hear the bass boost thing.

Signature and Diablo have slightly more neutral or less warm sound signatures compared to the BL, right? I mean I'd probably go for the BL anyway since it's by far the cheapest, but I'm curious.
Did someone say portable aeolus with ifi black? Aeolus - laptop or phone > ifi BL > Fostex HP-V1 portable tube amp.

I enjoy taking this setup to my painting room and out and about.

20210427_080941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back