ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #4,351 of 6,741
So many "I've heard good things!" amps in the ~500usd price bracket, so little time and money... I keep going between SA-1 and RebelAmp and Jot 2 and some tube hybrids and now Gustard H16 too as my next/permanent-ish amp upgrade. Even if the pandemic wasn't a thing, I don't think I'd have any way to audition any of them, so it's just gonna be a blind purchase. Going by the impressions online, Jot 2 sounds closest to what I want (warm and punchy), but it's also the one with the most technical/QA issue posts I've seen.
I run the original Jot with a multibit DAC onboard card. Warm and punchy it is. Sounds great from my perspective. I did use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 briefly, still sounded great using the Jot as the amp (but my preference is with the multibit card out of those two). The Aeolus are quite a forgiving headphone.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #4,353 of 6,741
I run the original Jot with a multibit DAC onboard card. Warm and punchy it is. Sounds great from my perspective. I did use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 briefly, still sounded great using the Jot as the amp (but my preference is with the multibit card out of those two). The Aeolus are quite a forgiving headphone.

Yeah, Jot 2 with the multibit DAC could very well be end-game gear for me - sound signature I like, all the inputs and outputs I'd ever need and a nice all-in-one package to keep my desktop tidy. I honestly think it's really ugly (and somehow even uglier in black), but I could try painting it, make it look a bit swankier. The problem here is, like I said, the apparent QA issues - can't really be an end-game amp if it won't last long. Really hoping Schiit will look into it in the coming months cause I'd love to get one.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,354 of 6,741
Hello everyone!

I'm just jumping into the Aeolus train and would like some advice. I really like the rumbling low end for my Hip-hop and soundtrack songs. But also some fast mids for my Metal and Rock side.

do you guys think Aeolus will be a good weapon for that?

edit: to start with, I will drive it from my ifi Signature. But I am planing to get a tube amp.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #4,355 of 6,741
Yeah, Jot 2 with the multibit DAC could very well be end-game gear for me - sound signature I like, all the inputs and outputs I'd ever need and a nice all-in-one package to keep my desktop tidy. I honestly think it's really ugly (and somehow even uglier in black), but I could try painting it, make it look a bit swankier. The problem here is, like I said, the apparent QA issues - can't really be an end-game amp if it won't last long. Really hoping Schiit will look into it in the coming months cause I'd love to get one.
Maybe go with the original Jot if QC is a concern on the Jot 2? You'll be able to pick one up for quite a decent price.

As for looks, I don't like the black, but the silver looks great in person.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #4,356 of 6,741
Maybe go with the original Jot if QC is a concern on the Jot 2? You'll be able to pick one up for quite a decent price.

As for looks, I don't like the black, but the silver looks great in person.

Yeah, that's certainly an option too! But I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll probably wait and see what, if any, Schiit's reaction is. I'm pretty sure all the amps I'm currently considering are out of stock everywhere anyway, so no upgrades for me right now.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #4,357 of 6,741
I have the original multibit Jot and absolutely love it. I've had it since the fall of last year. The only issue I've had with it was a buzz in one year. However, I figured out that it only happened if I plugged my laptop into it before the unit was turned on. If I turn on the Jot, wait until I hear it "click" then plug in my Macbook Pro, there is no buzz.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,360 of 6,741
I've also heard that Gustard's new H16 amp is great for the Aeolus. Considering its price, power and performance, it seems like an insane deal. Their older H20 flagship is the best SS amp I ever got to hear with my Aeolus before I was forced to sell both, so if the H16 is anywhere near as good, it'll be great.
I ordered the H16 a few days ago from Shenzenaudio. (Unfortunately, Apos Audio no longer carries Gustard. It hasn't shipped yet and there is a very vague statement on Shenzenaudio that seems to indicate that it is backordered or delayed; it's been up there a long time so not sure it is still applicable or not.) It's intended for my TV/Blu-ray setup as a replacement for the THX 789 that bricked a few months ago (out of warranty, of course; I've been using the Drop CTH in the meantime). I primarily use the Sennheiser HD700 for TV and movies, but the Aeolus (and the Focal Elex) is in the mix there also. I'll let you know how it sounds with the Aeolus when I get it; I'll also take a listen to music on it to compare with my main amp, the Liquid Platinum. (If the H16 comes in reasonable time and I like it, I will likely order the Gustard X16 DAC to complete the stack.)

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,362 of 6,741
Thank you @zach915m for the fast delivery that you provide at ZMF. I had two orders placed within 2 days and they combined both orders in to one. Refunded second delivery taxes. 5 days from the US to frickin Romania. Excellent service. New pads are awsome

PXL_20210420_141921694~2.jpg

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4,363 of 6,741
The perforated leather take hip hop up a notch again when it comes to the bass. I love the suedes and the leathers.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to give the stock leather pads a try again later on. I actually switched to the suede pretty much right away, if I recall correctly, so I haven't tried the leather pads now that I've gotten used to the Aeolus' sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back