ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #3,781 of 6,743
So I am looking at a used set of Aeolus as an "upgrade" to my HD6XX. Someone is offering me a set for 1400 Canadian. Would these be considered like a "super HD650"?
Depends on what you want beyond the HD650. The Senn HD650 is legendary in its mids and vocals; however lacks a tight controlled bass and the top end is somewhat rolled-off. It's good for smooth intimate listen but lacks stage/image separation and instrument clarity. I still own it as my baseline pair for reference use and for sentimental reasons.

I have since upgraded to Aeolus (and most recently to Verite). What Aeolus offers (vs HD650) is an extension on both ends (bass, treble), enhanced dimensionality with a widen stage and better image separation. The mids and vocals are comparable to HD650 (arguably better with the right selction of pads). If these are what you are looking for, then perhaps the Aeolus is a worthy upgrade for you. I love the Aeolus and have not looked back since.

Similarly to what has been mentioned by others, with the price you have been quoted for a used pair, may be more worthwhile to stretch a little more and get it 1st hand from Zach and have the lifetime warranty on driver and 2 years coverage on parts.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,782 of 6,743
$1400 CAD is a fair price for a used pair. It's going to cost him $1750 CAD if he's ordering a new pair from ZMF.
Well, as I tried to make clear, I did not know what the final delivered price in Canada would be. In any event, it's a personal decision. We all have our preferences and quirks. I'm peculiar and just don't buy anything used, ever. And believe me, it's not because money is not a factor. I'm retired on an extremely fixed income. In fact, I only have the Aeolus because of the $1200 stimulus check I received last spring. (I still have not received the more recent $600 check, though I have sent in a tax return claiming it. I've been contemplating what to purchase with that and the additional $1400 that should pass next month. I think I'm pretty satisfied with my audio gear ATM, so am probably going to go for a completely unnecessary but somewhat larger LG OLED TV to replace my already very good 4K HDR Sony.)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,783 of 6,743
True. Plus ZMF seems to have a lifetime warranty. But as I just mentioned to another poster I made the error of assuming the prices on the ZMF site were in US dollars. Actually when I am viewing the site they are in Canadian dollars. There is a currency switcher at the bottom of the page. ZMF should move that to the top.

Note that the lifetime warranty is on the drivers only. Although I have heard that Zach is very good about taking care of his customers, even if they bought second hand.

That conversion feature is new. It wasn't there a couple months ago. The rate being used seems pretty reasonable - probably a bit better than most banks/credit cards.

I think my landed price was around $1,800 CDN, all in, but the exchange rate was worse when I bought them.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #3,784 of 6,743
The rate being used seems pretty reasonable - probably a bit better than most banks/credit cards.
I googled a conversion table out of curiosity. $1537 Canadian translated to $1218 US, so pretty close to the US price of $1200.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #3,785 of 6,743
Depends on what you want beyond the HD650. The Senn HD650 is legendary in its mids and vocals; however lacks a tight controlled bass and the top end is somewhat rolled-off. It's good for smooth intimate listen but lacks stage/image separation and instrument clarity. I still own it as my baseline pair for reference use and for sentimental reasons.

I have since upgraded to Aeolus (and most recently to Verite). What Aeolus offers (vs HD650) is an extension on both ends (bass, treble), enhanced dimensionality with a widen stage and better image separation. The mids and vocals are comparable to HD650 (arguably better with the right selction of pads). If these are what you are looking for, then perhaps the Aeolus is a worthy upgrade for you. I love the Aeolus and have not looked back since.

Similarly to what has been mentioned by others, with the price you have been quoted for a used pair, may be more worthwhile to strecth a little more and get it 1st hand from Zach and have the lifetime warranty on driver and 2 years coverage on parts.

Well I am not a bass head but it would be nice to have more low end either way. I don't want harsh treble but some more "sparkle" up top wouldn't hurt. Also how long is the stock cable that comes with the headphone?

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3,787 of 6,743
Thank you for such an elaborate response!
I have looked at the amps you recommended and i am thinking about the XDUOO TA tube amplifiers. Is it better to have an standalone tube/hybrid amp and then add an dac which would be TA-20 + SMSL SU-8? Or is it better to have an amp/dac such as the TA-30? im thinking it might be better having the dac separate so i can upgrade the amp further on?

de nada...

In general (IMO) it is better to have separates. But that means separate costs, and typically the total cost will rise, possibly threatening your budget.

Re xDuoo amps, the rather nice little TA-20 is a significantly different amp than the TA-30: it's smaller, less powerful, and tube/hybrid vs straight tube on TA-30. If xDuoo offered a no-DAC variant of the TA-30, I might say sure, get a different DAC and be happy. But it's an all-or-nothing deal...

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,788 of 6,743
Well I am not a bass head but it would be nice to have more low end either way. I don't want harsh treble but some more "sparkle" up top wouldn't hurt. Also how long is the stock cable that comes with the headphone?

Seems like Aeolus would suit you well then.

Stock cable is decent, nothing wrong with them. However, I do think the upgrade OFC cable is worth it though.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,789 of 6,743
I believe the stock (and upgrade) cables are roughly 5.5 feet. I got the OFC and both it and stock are perfectly serviceable, but TBH I didn't care for the feel of either and currently use an XLR Arctic cable (Not their cheapest, but far from their most expensive.) I'm not much of a believer in significant differences in sound quality between cables, assuming they are competently made. (I am willing to believe that a cable may make a very small difference in sound quality for those who have sufficiently knowledgeable ears; I don't.) But since I'm retired and wear my headphones a lot, I am interested in aesthetics and physical feel.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,790 of 6,743
Talking about the Aeolus and cables...
This beauty arrived today...

20210223_172654.jpg

20210223_172224.jpg

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #3,791 of 6,743
I believe the stock (and upgrade) cables are roughly 5.5 feet. I got the OFC and both it and stock are perfectly serviceable, but TBH I didn't care for the feel of either and currently use an XLR Arctic cable (Not their cheapest, but far from their most expensive.) I'm not much of a believer in significant differences in sound quality between cables, assuming they are competently made. (I am willing to believe that a cable may make a very small difference in sound quality for those who have sufficiently knowledgeable ears; I don't.) But since I'm retired and wear my headphones a lot, I am interested in aesthetics and physical feel.

How would you describe the feel of the cable? 5.5 feet seems like a good length. I don't need it too long as my amp is beside my recliner for when I use headphones.

Seems like Aeolus would suit you well then.

Stock cable is decent, nothing wrong with them. However, I do think the upgrade OFC cable is worth it though.

What about soundstage? Is the overall sound more "spacious" than the HD6XX?

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,792 of 6,743
How would you describe the feel of the cable? 5.5 feet seems like a good length. I don't need it too long as my amp is beside my recliner for when I use headphones.

What about soundstage? Is the overall sound more "spacious" than the HD6XX?
I just found both cables rubbery, which I don't like. I just felt the Aeolus deserved something a little more premium feeling. YMMV. FWIW, it appears that the current stock cable has been changed to a braided cable which in photos looks different from mine.

More "spacious" than the 6XX? LOL. Is the Grand Canyon more spacious than a ditch? Seriously, I would never use the word "spacious" and 6XX in the same sentence. Or the same paragraph. Indeed, that's the thing I dislike most about the 6XX--it's a completely open, full size headphone that has a narrower soundstage than a good IEM. The Aeolus is decently, though not unusually, wide for an open headphone and has very good instrument placement.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #3,793 of 6,743
Talking about the Aeolus and cables...
This beauty arrived today...

20210223_172654.jpg

20210223_172224.jpg

That looks wonderful!

The ltd. woods get the glory (as well they should--they're beautiful), but IMHO, the stock woods are unusually nice, too. Sapele has that lovely chatoyance going for it; and the silkwood on my VO is elegant & understated--somewhat darker than sapele with a little less chatoyance...very pretty.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,795 of 6,743
I just found both cables rubbery, which I don't like. I just felt the Aeolus deserved something a little more premium feeling. YMMV. FWIW, it appears that the current stock cable has been changed to a braided cable which in photos looks different from mine.

More "spacious" than the 6XX? LOL. Is the Grand Canyon more spacious than a ditch? Seriously, I would never use the word "spacious" and 6XX in the same sentence. Or the same paragraph. Indeed, that's the thing I dislike most about the 6XX--it's a completely open, full size headphone that has a narrower soundstage than a good IEM. The Aeolus is decently, though not unusually, wide for an open headphone and has very good instrument placement.

Yeah it does seem like the stock cable is braided. I use the stock cable with my HD6XX which is rubbery. I don't have any issues with it. I have tried other cables from brands like Periapt and Hart Audio. Both are quality cables yet I had issues with microphonics which I never have with the stock Sennheiser cable.

I didn't mean to imply the HD6XX has a spacious sound. I know it's fairly narrow. I was just asking if the Aeolus or other ZMF headphone have a spacious sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back