ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #212 of 6,740
Auteur w Auteur pads vis a vis Aeolus please!
The Auteur gains treble and loses bass with Auteur pads. I listened to mine with those pads for all of 5 minutes before I swapped the Eikon perf pads on, and never looked back.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #214 of 6,740
It's akin to stage fright / public speaking. I can't tell you how many times I reread what I've written, edit it, worry if I phrased something incorrectly, edit some more, etc. It can be nerve wracking. If it weren't for my enjoyment and interest in the topic, I wouldn't have written anything.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #215 of 6,740
Been listening to Aeolus a bunch today. Hot damn these headphones sound nice.

Some highlights:
- Nice warm and laid back sound.
- A+++++ quality timbre
- SUPER non-fatiguing. A great headphone to sit back and chill out to for hours on end.
- Great bass. Full midbass and I think the subbass might be coming through more than Atty extension-wise. Need to compare, but I'm loving it on electronic music.

If somebody asked me what ZMF headphones sound like, I feel like I could just hand them this headphone. Warm, impactful, awesome mids... all the stuff I like about my Atticus and Blackwood Auteur. I know Verite is the big shiny new story everybody is paying attention to right now, but I have a feeling Aeolus is going to have a very passionate following once it gets into more people's hands. Listening to Kruder & Dorfmeister on Aeolus via the GOTL right now, and I want for nothing.

Hey Hansotek, could you give your impression of how the Aeolus stacks up to the Atticus? I've been reading the "Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution" thread and know you are a big proponent of the Atticus for listening to metal. I'm looking at getting my first TOTL and possibly endgame headphone. I was pretty set on the Atticus but the introduction of the Aeolus has me pondering...

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #216 of 6,740
For various types of Rock/Alt Rock/Indie (ranging from Smiths, Arctic Monkeys, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, R.E.M., Soundgarden,Tool) would you pick the Aeolus or Atticus ?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #217 of 6,740
Hey Hansotek, could you give your impression of how the Aeolus stacks up to the Atticus? I've been reading the "Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution" thread and know you are a big proponent of the Atticus for listening to metal. I'm looking at getting my first TOTL and possibly endgame headphone. I was pretty set on the Atticus but the introduction of the Aeolus has me pondering...

If you've been reading a lot of my content in that thread, you probably already know what I'm about to ask you... What metal subgenres do you listen to? What are some bands you like?

Once I know that, it's much easier to steer you in the right direction, or at least help you better understand the advantages of one vs. the other.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #218 of 6,740
A couple observations on Aeolus vs. Atticus:

- Atticus has more bass for sure, being sealed. Aeolus maintains the powerful feel, but isn’t as straight-up bassy – it’s a more balanced headphone.

- Aeolus is a little cleaner in the attack and decay, which is always the case with open vs. closed, so no surprise there.

- Aeolus has more resolution in the treble and upper mid. This is especially noticeable on cymbals, which sound much more natural and cut through the mix better.

- Aeolus sounds like it has noticeably less harmonic distortion – the music just has more ease to it. I’m reviewing the Manley Absolute right now too, which has adjustable negative feedback (allowing you to raise or lower the distortion on the fly with the twist of a knob). Switching between Atticus and Aeolus is a similar effect… on some songs the additional distortion from Atticus has positive results making the music seem like it’s all-out turned up to 11 and overflowing with emotion, in some cases it sounds slightly more fatiguing. It just kinda depends on what kind of harmonics you’re getting at the time. I wouldn’t classify Atticus as a fatiguing headphone compared to the meta, but Aeolus is less fatiguing overall (and is probably one of the least fatiguing headphones on the market).

- Atticus is a more high-risk/high-reward type of sound. You’re more likely to love it or hate it. Aeolus is more of a safe bet. It’s super easy to like. It sort of backs off of the more controversial elements of the Atticus’ sound while keeping the most essential parts: killer timbre, lush midrange, powerful bass, non-fatiguing sound, larger-than-life presentation, and supreme musicality.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #219 of 6,740
Hey @zach915m quick question... I was looking at the preorder on your website, but I don't see what wood is going to be offered (other than the upgraded Zirocote.)

IIRC the 'basic' wood is going to be oak, but no I don't see that anywhere.

I'm fairly sure I'm preordering, but I thought I'd ask about the wood to see how much I have to steal save.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #220 of 6,740
Hey @zach915m quick question... I was looking at the preorder on your website, but I don't see what wood is going to be offered (other than the upgraded Zirocote.)

I'm fairly sure I'm preordering, but I thought I'd ask about the wood to see how much I have to steal save.

Thanks in advance!

The standard wood for the Aeolus is sapele.

*cough cough* I already mentioned to Zach a while ago that he needs to list it on the order page. We'll cut him some slack though, he's been busy lately... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #221 of 6,740

Thanks in advance!

The standard wood for the Aeolus is sapele.

*cough cough* I already mentioned to Zach a while ago that he needs to list it on the order page. We'll cut him some slack though, he's been busy lately... :wink:

Whoops - I just wrote a little about each wood on both the Aeolus and Vérité pre-order pages. Sorry about that!

We scrapped Oak because I couldn't find consistent figured quality I wanted. Sapele has been working out really well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #223 of 6,740
Whoops - I just wrote a little about each wood on both the Aeolus and Vérité pre-order pages. Sorry about that!

We scrapped Oak because I couldn't find consistent figured quality I wanted. Sapele has been working out really well.

Sepele > oak anyway.

And best of all it blends really nicely with the leather and metal parts. Orange and black do contrast really well with each other!

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #224 of 6,740
Seriously thinking about getting in on the Aeolus pre-order. Is the $999 price a promotion for early buyers or will this be the final retail price?

Also, will the different grille options (brass, steel) be available for the plain Aeolus or just the limited?

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #225 of 6,740
Seriously thinking about getting in on the Aeolus pre-order. Is the $999 price a promotion for early buyers or will this be the final retail price?

Also, will the different grille options (brass, steel) be available for the plain Aeolus or just the limited?
No 999 is the preorder price. It will go up after preorder ends i think to 1200. And yes diffefent grills will be available on both models of the aeolus. As well as the verite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back