ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #301 of 800
The warranty will be 5 years for components and 6 months for tubes. Things like cosmetic wear and tear aren't covered.

If there are any warranty issues, the unit will come directly back to ZMF for service. Sending a 60lb overseas would be miserable and we don't want to do it that way either.
Just curious what would happen for someone who buys it from overseas direct from ZMF and there is no local dealer?

May 9, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #302 of 800
Just curious what would happen for someone who buys it from overseas direct from ZMF and there is no local dealer?

That's a good question. There are going to be overseas sales and I don't believe all of those will ship directly from ZMF. I would shoot an email to support@zmfheadphones.com as I'm not clear how Australia sales are being handled.

May 9, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #304 of 800
It's finally time to roll out the stock New Production rectifier, and this one is quite interesting looking. This tube is literally built like a tank, and feels like it weighs a couple pounds. :astonished: This tube is super ruggedized and was used in B-52 bombers. Pretty cool tube, and I must confess I only bought one because it was cheap, and mostly because I saw Zach had one in his DIY Aegis a while back. The fact it lowers the B+ is a bonus.

Say hello to the Chatham 5R4WYG, aka. "The Potato Masher".

1000005418.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #305 of 800
It's finally time to roll out the stock New Production rectifier, and this one is quite interesting looking. This tube is literally built like a tank, and feels like it weighs a couple pounds. :astonished: This tube is super ruggedized and was used in B-52 bombers. Pretty cool tube, and I must confess I only bought one because it was cheap, and mostly because I saw Zach had one in his DIY Aegis a while back. The fact it lowers the B+ is a bonus.

Say hello to the Chatham 5R4WYG, aka. "The Potato Masher".

1000005418.jpg
The Masher is actually quite a nice sounding tube, at least it was in my Lampizator DAC.
The fact that they're cheap as dirt helps too

May 9, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #306 of 800
The Masher is actually quite a nice sounding tube, at least it was in my Lampizator DAC.
The fact that they're cheap as dirt helps too

Yeah, I've got a few mashers and they are nice rectifiers. I've generally been running both of my Aegises/Aegus'/Aegii with 5R4GY as I liked them better than the 5AR4s I've tried, even my Mullard.

May 9, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #308 of 800
Good to know it actually sounds good fellas, and it's time to comfirm that. :grin:

1000005426.jpg

This tube is a beast!

The thickness of the glass on those things is nuts.

May 9, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #310 of 800
The bass is insane now with the CC's! The grip, and control is crazy, and it digs deep. I feel like I have a subwoofer on my head, and I love it. :o2smile:The texture is incredible and I can literally feel it vibrating on my head. Fantastic stuff!

May 9, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #311 of 800
So from a person who has never heard a tube amp ever, only SS, does the Aegis sound great with the stock tubes it comes with? So not necessarily HAVE to roll tubes?

This is probably a really stupid question, but not knowing a darn thing about all these tubes, I would like to think the amp comes with tubes that work great for a baseline experience with the amp.

May 9, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #312 of 800
So from a person who has never heard a tube amp ever, only SS, does the Aegis sound great with the stock tubes it comes with? So not necessarily HAVE to roll tubes?

This is probably a really stupid question, but not knowing a darn thing about all these tubes, I would like to think the amp comes with tubes that work great for a baseline experience with the amp.
Not necessary at all. Stock tubes sound fine, also plenty of interesting option for cheap tubes if you want to dabble "lightly" in tube rolling.

Even with all the nos tubes in my drawer, sometimes I roll in the stock JJ tubes and still find the sound mesmerizing, some aspect even rivals that of the best nos tubes.

May 9, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #313 of 800

Not a stupid question at all. Actually, it's a prescient question, given that some tube amps plunge the owner into a tube-rolling rabbit hole from minute-1.

I think the Aegis sounds amazing with the stock tubes. The stock tubes let me hear what makes this amp so different & so good. I didn't do much tube rolling, but from the comments of those who did, it appears tube rolling just gives incremental sonic "wins" on top of the primary sonic win, which is the Aegis itself.

I've had tube amps where pricey tube rolling is the only way to hear what the amp can really do. The Aegis is definitely not one of those.

May 9, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #314 of 800
Thank you! The impression I always got from reading hundreds of pages of tube amp threads was that the tube rolling was a mandatory thing to make the amps work at all. Which is one reason I never got into tube amps, but I always wanted to try one. And all I have read about the Aegis makes me think this particular amp, with its lineage of a great amp builder who thinks outside the box, and a great headphone manufacturer who truly loves the art, is definitely the one I want to start with. Keenan being just as responsive as Zach is just the icing on the cake. Very impressive and informative thread here.

Only problem now is, instead of just getting a Caldera at Can Jam Dallas, I have to figure out how to afford both of these state of the art pieces. The issue of the RCAs out of my Yggy really was addressed nicely as well. The discussion on the amp topology was very cool. I learned a lot from this thread. Finally, the amp aesthetics are over the top gorgeous IMHO. Everything about the amp appeals to me A LOT.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #315 of 800

I'm also coming from SS as well and never heard from a tube amp either. Anyone have impressions on how EDM will sound like in these? I feel like my jazz, classical and tracks with plenty vocals will sound great on Aegis, but what about EDM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back