ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 14, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #481 of 905
Does the Zmf Aegis also use jupiter caps or others?
The question has somehow not yet been answered.
This is always important to me when I buy amplifiers.
In case I do need to invest :).

No, it doesn't use Jupiter caps. It uses Nichicon bypass caps in the input stage and AudioCapX polypropylene film coupling caps.

May 14, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #482 of 905
I think it's a matter of flavor. The only person I know who has used EL84 in Aegis is @goldwerger . Generally though, lower power / current tubes are going to have lower peak power output and a slightly higher output impedance. My very limited experience using 6V6 in Aegis is they don't quite compete with the higher power tubes like EL34 / EL37 in terms of soundstage, clarity, etc. but they have their own enjoyable sound and great tone. The 6V6 I used were the Mazda 6V6GT.

As far as the power output, with peak output being less, probably isn't going to be noticeable with 99% of headphones, only place where it MIGHT matter is with the really demanding stuff, like Susvara and Tungsten. But I think that would need to be confirmed, I don't own either so I can't test myself, it might be just fine.
Considering none of my headphones are particularly hard to drive, I think it’ll be worth seeing how my EL84s sound in the amp before spending a lot of money on NOS output tubes.

I’ve actually been secretly hoping someone would put their DIY Aegis up for sale if they decided to replace it with the commercial ZMF/Cayin version. Then again, I understand folks being attached to an amp they built themselves. I also fear something going wrong with a secondhand DIY Aegis and me being helpless to fix even the smallest problem that came up. In the end, I’d feel much safer with the commercial version.

May 14, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #483 of 905
No, it doesn't use Jupiter caps. It uses Nichicon bypass caps in the input stage and AudioCapX polypropylene film coupling caps.

Thanks for the info.
Do you think the Vcap Odam's or CuTF go one step further on such things?
I'm just asking from your personal point of view.
Amazing that Cayin has found a way that is very close to your soundsignature in DIY version.
I would have guessed that your DIY version goes at least one step above it and depending on what you use as a cap it goes one step higher, then it's over anyway, it doesn't get any better after a boutique caps.
I'm also surprised by this and it shows that you Zach have gone a good way with Cayin, also because they have good experience, not easy to have such knowledge after 30 years on the market.
I take my hat off to you guys and really respect you.
Such a masterpiece will be hard to top compared to other tube amplifier manufacturers.

May 14, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #485 of 905
Considering none of my headphones are particularly hard to drive, I think it’ll be worth seeing how my EL84s sound in the amp before spending a lot of money on NOS output tubes.

I’ve actually been secretly hoping someone would put their DIY Aegis up for sale if they decided to replace it with the commercial ZMF/Cayin version. Then again, I understand folks being attached to an amp they built themselves. I also fear something going wrong with a secondhand DIY Aegis and me being helpless to fix even the smallest problem that came up. In the end, I’d feel much safer with the commercial version.

Yeah that's probably the safer approach. Well let us know how those EL84 sound. I should get a pair of adapters myself and try them out! I'm sure they are great, a legendary audio tube in its own right.

Thanks for the info.
Do you think the Vcap Odam's or CuTF go one step further on such things?
I'm just asking from your personal point of view.
Amazing that Cayin has found a way that is very close to your soundsignature in DIY version.
I would have guessed that your DIY version goes at least one step above it and depending on what you use as a cap it goes one step higher, then it's over anyway, it doesn't get any better after a boutique caps.
I'm also surprised by this and it shows that you Zach have gone a good way with Cayin, also because they have good experience, not easy to have such knowledge after 30 years on the market.
I take my hat off to you guys and really respect you.
Such a masterpiece will be hard to top compared to other tube amplifier manufacturers.

Thanks! It's hard to say, as time goes on I put less stock in boutique components. Once you've done it for some period of time, the concern is more about reliability. For example, in the upcoming rebuild of my HY69 amp, I am changing ClarityCap power supply caps to Vishay, even though they are not "audiophile grade". They are reliable and perform the same function, perhaps even better. The truth is many boutique audio components are not holding up so well. Unfortunately, I've had some issues with Jupiter capacitors recently. In existing things I've built, I will keep them as they are working without issue, but I probably won't use them in future designs for fear of getting a bad capacitor.

I can't say for sure the VCaps would be better, maybe just different, but they are very expensive. I wouldn't recommend people change them themselves as it would void the warranty on the amp. If people want to use boutique parts like that or have the power to change the caps at will, DIY is the better approach.

The sound of the commercial unit came out very well and we were happy to work with Cayin. The overarching circuit is the same between DIY and commercial with custom wound inductors from Cayin. It's my feeling that the two versions of the amp sound mostly the same as the circuit itself dominates the sound. It differs significantly from a more traditional cathode biased SET amplifier.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #486 of 905
Some new NOS output tubes have arrived. :grin:

Foton 6P3S 53' Welded Black Plates

1000005611.jpg

1000005614.jpg

The sound so far is quite impressive, with deep hard hitting bass, linear mids, very extended yet smooths highs, and really open/expansive staging.

I think these are going to be hard to beat. . .

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #487 of 905
It has always been my feeling a well designed circuit does not need boutique components to sound good, and like you say some boutique parts have poor quality control and longevity. I have built several Nelson Pass designs, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between stock and tricked out versions. My Aegis I have tube rolled and while they sound different, I would be hard pressed to say one is better just different. I really don’t feel qualified as a reviewer to say one is better than the other.
Bill

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #488 of 905

Good to see you here considering the commercial Aegis… I’m sure you’d love it… the Elites are amazing with it as well as ZMF AC of course. Is the order in or soon to be?

As you said, probably won’t be many DIYers wanting to part company due to the emotional attachment…No chance in heII of my Aegis going up for sale 😂 I’m stripping down the old mk1 PCB board and all the parts will enter the spares & repairs container. I think the only spares I don’t have now is the transformers… for now😂

May 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #489 of 905
Good to see you here considering the commercial Aegis… I’m sure you’d love it… the Elites are amazing with it as well as ZMF AC of course. Is the order in or soon to be?

As you said, probably won’t be many DIYers wanting to part company due to the emotional attachment…No chance in heII of my Aegis going up for sale 😂 I’m stripping down the old mk1 PCB board and all the parts will enter the spares & repairs container. I think the only spares I don’t have now is the transformers… for now😂
Do you have any pics of your Limited Edition Silver Shield Aegis?

May 14, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #490 of 905
good god, man--this is as bad as cursing in church!
Haha, I know! What was I thinking, showing up in this thread full of tubeaholics with my sensible plans to roll tubes as little as possible?!

I'm still in the research phase at this point. The problem is I would need to sell some stuff to be able to afford an Aegis, and I don't have anything I want to sell! If push comes to shove, my beautiful Ash Auteur might be going on the chopping block, but I have to really think that through before deciding. I love my Auteur, and it's my favorite ZMF that I've ever had, cosmetically at least.

May 14, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #491 of 905
Do you have any pics of your Limited Edition Silver Shield Aegis?
Yeah… here you go. Still waiting for the logo badge that will go above the on off switch but all done other than that! It has a leather centre and obviously, high gloss top and bottom.

IMG_6653.jpeg

IMG_6657.jpeg

IMG_6635.jpeg

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #492 of 905
Haha, I know! What was I thinking, showing up in this thread full of tubeaholics with my sensible plans to roll tubes as little as possible?!

I'm still in the research phase at this point. The problem is I would need to sell some stuff to be able to afford an Aegis, and I don't have anything I want to sell! If push comes to shove, my beautiful Ash Auteur might be going on the chopping block, but I have to really think that through before deciding. I love my Auteur, and it's my favorite ZMF that I've ever had, cosmetically at least.

Well don't do anything you'll regret later! And as far as tube rolling as little as possible, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I rarely tube roll in my personal amplifiers nowadays. Of course I may be biased, but I think if you're looking for an amp that doesn't NEED to be tube rolled, this is a pretty good choice as it sounds nice without needing ultra expensive NOS tubes.

May 14, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #493 of 905
May 14, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #494 of 905

As @L0rdGwyn says, don’t rush and do something you may regret! I can imagine the commercial version being available for a long time so no rush👍🏻

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #495 of 905
Amplifier Surgery makes some good, inexpensive (relatively) cables, but silver plated. Not bright, nor strident etched or bass light. I have a pair of their balanced cables running into my Violectric. Better synergy than the Lessloss, which I use on my Airmid.
This looks like it will be perfect for my use case. Just submitted an order. Thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back