ZiShan Z3 Hi-Fi Player Thread
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #107 of 132
Well I comparedthe Z3 to my DSD's players when I was bussy testing the Burson V6 vivid.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bu...und-opamp-v6-vivid.22718/reviews#review-26473

My conclusion is that the Z3 with a single DAC sounds a bit flatter than the DSDs with dual DAC. But you recognize this only when you hot swap your headphone, listening to the same song. After a few seconds this difference has gone, you cannot hold this memory for long. And Opamp rolling, when the opamp is high end it doesn't make much difference between high-end models.

I have compared my Zishan players to my Fiio en Qudelix DAC´s, they sound more or less the same. And to the Dali IO6 headphone, and the Dali sounds richer, more entertaining. Could be the Tidal player app, or some EQ tweak in the headphone itself. The Zishan players have a bit more dry sound.

The Z3 has a nice form factor for running or walking, less bulky than the DSDs (that one is more like a brick).

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #108 of 132
Thank You for help @raabje I'm just thinking about some better solution for research of sound than very sensitive Z4 very weak PCB and a lot of problems, and expensive and out of stock DSDs Dual AK4497.
I have a spare Burson V6 and a lot of passive components to play.
I don't have any knowledge about how circuits should be designed in high-end DAPs.
I'm just exploring official data sheets and evaluation boards.

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #109 of 132
Thank You for help @raabje I'm just thinking about some better solution for research of sound than very sensitive Z4 very weak PCB and a lot of problems, and expensive and out of stock DSDs Dual AK4497.
I have a spare Burson V6 and a lot of passive components to play.
I don't have any knowledge about how circuits should be designed in high-end DAPs.
I'm just exploring official data sheets and evaluation boards.
I want to help you @Setmagic I had a couple of devices which we can play and I want to help with the OS development.

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #110 of 132
I want to help you @Setmagic I had a couple of devices which we can play and I want to help with the OS development.
Thank You for suport, that's grate to have it.
For now I'm just collecting information about technology.
I think better to focus on DAC/AMP insted player itself with some functions like BT or flash memory player.

As far I know wonderful solution is R-2R or FPGA DAC and good amplifier with as much customisation options as possible.
Do You want Burson V6 or other discrette opamp? - You welcome - smaller battery and we have space for desktop use.
For more portability full sized battery and space for all IC or hybrid.
Same with modules like Bluetooth.
Just add a space and port for expansion card.

For example Cayin RU6 it's first USB DAC/AMP dongle who use this R-2R ladder technology and it's not as expensive.

Z1/Z2/Z3 would be really nice cheap and usefull small players if only USB will work without so big latency, jitter and simple 16/48 PCM.
Z4 trys hard, idea was really impressive but it's just ready product.
I don't like PCB quality, problems with buttons, BT and software.
U1 is nice to start with modifications.

I'm sure dual DAC architecture in for example Zishan products is unnecessary.
It's double the cost DAC sections and gives nothing. AMP section should be way better insted of that.

Main idea is just release some open source project for all and as much customisation friendly as possible. Zishan just lost this way... can't replace software, cant easily modify anymore and still low quality passive components.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #119 of 132
I've got the latest Zishan Z3 v0.5, but issue with how the TF format structure works.
Does it read folders and FLAC files, because I loaded one Flac file without a folder and it froze unable to select any options?
How do I load FLAC files on the Card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back