• No

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Way above the price range!

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Could be

Votes: 30 41.1%

• Total voters
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #181 of 652
I don't mean to rude or anything, but I think the needs a Volume Control Chip for more stability is not necessary, as it's tested and there's no such distortion at full (100) volume. Let's not judge about distortion.

Because The “real” LM4562 in the stock Zishan is already ultra low distortion with low currency:

“The LM4562 is part of the ultra-low distortion, low-noise, high-slew-rate operational amplifier series optimized and fully specified for high-performance, high-fidelity applications. The LM4562 audio operational amplifiers deliver superior audio signal amplification for outstanding audio performance. The LM4562 combines extremely low voltage noise density (2.7nV/√Hz) with vanishingly low THD+N (0.00003%) to easily satisfy the most demanding audio applications. To ensure that the most challenging loads are driven without compromise, the LM4562 has a high slew rate of ±20V/µs and an output current capability of ±26mA. Further, dynamic range is maximized by an output stage that drives 2kΩ loads to within 1V of either power supply voltage and to within 1.4V when driving 600Ω loads.”

Signal amplification function of the Volume Chip like the PGA2310UA is it has a high thrust in the volume range and can power earphones with low currency. Not to mention more control per interval with accuracy. I don’t get distortion nor coloration since I’m used an ultra low noise and distorted op amp. I don’t know enough of bypassing end the basic two stage op amps designed of the Zishan since it isn’t idiot-proof unless well you’re an idiot :)

Gain and volume are two different beast; It’s application nor design shouldn’t be bypassed unless you know what you are doing! But I suppose if you listen to mp3s on your Zishan and you’re somewhat tone deaf and play only drum and bass stuff with one chord change every hour it doesn’t really matter anyway. Also, I cannot claim expertise because I read an article on it on the internet I just go with hand that I’m dealt with in terms limitations with power supply, etc but that’s just me

Functionally disagree with the previous comment about the budget restrictions as the ak4497 is actually has a very simple implication of just two stage process. If you had a battery say that was 5v, 9v or 12v there’s more options. Of course every budget has its challenges for the engineers savviness but power supply is the biggest hurdle! Looking at datasheets and attempting to “match” them with low power is really a fruitless venture or doing mods for mod stake with no real practical value is not my main priority- sound is! Not say that electronic wizardry doesn’t have it place and isn’t the building blocks to some practical application I’m just not all that interested in circuitry especially when the digital-to-analog it’s the digital aka the source that makes music not so much the hardware and for that the Zishan firmware where there’s a value! Circuitry can be found everywhere with very few companies that truly innovate. However, I don’t see many “Professional” Diyers venturing into the firmware sphere so that “we” can make some cooler circuitry work with the software. Why is that??

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te...r-an-op-amp-output-for-higher-current-part-1/

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #182 of 652
I just want to know how it compares to the different dsd versions, I held off on the ak4495 dsd version even though it was the best version when I had seen the t1, but now I read some really mixed reviews, and the ak4495 dsd is no longer on sale........ Kicking myself, really hoping it's an improvement

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #183 of 652
Hey Y’all I am looking to replace the LDOs of Zishan Dsd and those of the T1 when it arrives.

My objective is to lower uV/RMS even further with ultra low ripple/noise (PSRR??) while maintaining necessary voltage for the DAC and Clock! (Would like to lower the current as much a possible without any power supply issues/performance ones)

Was looking into the LT3042/LT3045/LT3094 none of which has the correct packaging of the Zishan LDOs. :frowning2:

Fun Fact: “HAL” is voice controlled AI unless you are putting a TPU or a GPU with AI commends machine learning into your Zishan, the 2001 reference is technically inaccurate.

“A tensor processing unit (TPU) is an AI accelerator application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) developed by Google specifically for neural network machine learning.”

Updated: At the moment 3.3v LP5907 which is PSRR: 82 dB at 1 kHz is the number to beat!

“Audio FA2 DSD, with AK4497EQ DAC and OPA1632 / OPA1612 op-amps.
It is about twice as expensive, at $195 (On Sale in 2 days), but I was wondering if any of y'all have heard it, and can compare its User Interface and Sound, with that of the Zishan DSD and T1? Thanks!”

I have it, and it ain’t worth it. The Zishan with all its imperfections is better! Save your money. I do recommend the Sony Nw-55 you can’t op amp or make modes but it’s got a nice neutral sound and the firmware something that one can only dream of having on a chi-dac. Soundwise the Zishan is better but The volume “120” on it however is wayyy better than the Zishan!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #184 of 652
To make the first measurements of the Zishan T1 I used the line input of my PC, because I'm on vacation. Normally I use a calibrated Fluke digital oscilloscope for this kind of measurements. But because I'm on vacation I don't have access to it.
By this I mean that, probably, the line input that I have used to measure the waveform, has a limit that produces the clipping that is observed in the captures that I put.

Until I can measure the real waveform (from September 2nd), I delete those images and edit the messages.

Voltage measurements at the indicated volume are correct because they have been measured with a real multimeter.

I apologize. The worst thing I can offer as a reviewer are false measurements.

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #185 of 652
Price is not an accurate reflection of the sound. Believe me, if you buy a 3000$ A&K it's not the sound components you're paying for. Anyone who buys such a thing will claim it has superior sound, but that's simply not true. They need to justify the purchase. It has superior look, feel, and software tho. But a dac is a dac. It converts digital to analog, and the soundstage is engraved in the recording not in fantasy supposed "presentation". The whole "emotional" "engaging" lingo is pure garbage imo.

(NOT) Amen

A Dac, is a Dac, is a Singular sound processing.

AK isnt Sabre neither Cirrus etc.

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #186 of 652
I known that, what I said (in the context of the dac volume control example), is you can have better sound with other circuit designs, with better components, but with this size and price limitations, compromises have to be made.
This price range and size limits what can be done.
Regarding all the marketing that all brands do, I also agree , but as you, I believe in what I listen and to me ak4497 sounds better than the previous lower models.

I also think that better dac specs (detail, channel separation, etc) can increase my perception of the recorded sound stage, therefore I can listen to a better sound stage.

Note: I don't have and never listened to T1.

DUAL Ak4497 will sound even better. IMO.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #187 of 652
Has anyone given the Rickbox software a try on the T1? I want to give it a try, but I can’t seem to download it from the site that’s on the promo. Can anyone post it and share it if you’re able to download it? Or PM me if they can email to me to try?

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #190 of 652
Try http://zishan.ru . You'll find a download mirror there. Use google translate.
And no, I could not run the rockbox though. It just stops at 'booting' and displays some error message.
Did you use a card formatted Fat32? I used that, and it half booted. It was there, showed up on the screen, but was all messed up and couldn’t play anything or access anything.
Why the heck would Zishan post that when it doesn’t work? Pffft.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #191 of 652
Guys, after AK4493EQ and AK4497EQ, ZiShan is going to release new DAC modules for T1. They are¹:

1. Single AK4490EQ for $35
2. Dual ES9038Q2M for $50
3. Single AK4499EQ for $142

These modules are already confirmed, but still not released yet, so stay tuned.
Hey, @IcedFrosty !
Any news about AK4499 and ES9038 release date?
Keen for both :)

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #192 of 652
Did you use a card formatted Fat32? I used that, and it half booted. It was there, showed up on the screen, but was all messed up and couldn’t play anything or access anything.
Why the heck would Zishan post that when it doesn’t work? Pffft.
Yes, I guess the problem was the exFAT formatting. On FAT32 card works now. I don't have any experience with a rockbox, so I cannot give any feedback yet. Buttons work differently and do not have the same vol+/- and screen off functions. I'll play a bit more later, but default interface is simpler and easier for me currently.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #193 of 652
Has anyone given the Rickbox software a try on the T1? I want to give it a try, but I can’t seem to download it from the site that’s on the promo. Can anyone post it and share it if you’re able to download it? Or PM me if they can email to me to try?
Use the Google Drive firmware link that I posted on the main page (link section). Inside the T1's G Drive link, there's the Rockbox beta firmware that you can use (careful here, a lot of bugs).

Hopes this help.
Hey, @IcedFrosty !
There's no further informatiots about the 2 modules. Zishan just released the single 4490 version. Therefore, you might want to wait at least a month (or more) for the single 4499.
And, about the ESS module, will be released after all AKM module versions has been released. It will be released on the same date (probably) as with T1's ESS firmware, since you need a different firmware for a different DAC manufacturer. Zishan will make a new, different firmware from scratch, different with AKM ones.

Stay tuned for further informations.

God bless

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #194 of 652
Use the Google Drive firmware link that I posted on the main page (link section). Inside the T1's G Drive link, there's the Rockbox beta firmware that you can use (careful here, a lot of bugs).

Hopes this help.

There's no further informatiots about the 2 modules. Zishan just released the single 4490 version. Therefore, you might want to wait at least a month (or more) for the single 4499.
And, about the ESS module, will be released after all AKM module versions has been released. It will be released on the same date (probably) as with T1's ESS firmware, since you need a different firmware for a different DAC manufacturer. Zishan will make a new, different firmware from scratch, different with AKM ones.

Stay tuned for further informations.

God bless
Hi,
I went to your Google drive page and it says that you need to share it and that the files are in the trash. Not sure what that means, but I can't download anything or see the files.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #195 of 652
Hey, @IcedFrosty !

Thanks for giving a Us a ballpark figure as to when they will be released! I’m guessing it will delayed for a while and hopefully by 11.11 or Christmas!! But there’s definitely censorship issues between Beijing and Hong Kong with Shenzhen in the middle of it (where the Zishan is made) and trade wars and issues with global supply chains that may delay the project especially access to the microprocessors!

It could be risky or more expensive if there’s limitations or scarcity to the markets for the microprocessors. But Both microprocessors can be had by US official redistributors so you can build a DAC yourself if you have all the correct measurements and evaluation boards if it becomes too pricey to get from China?!

Guess we’ll all have to check on player.ru those guys are on it especially in the knowing how restricted markets work!

“(NOT) Amen

A Dac, is a Dac, is a Singular sound processing.

AK isnt Sabre neither Cirrus etc.”

Mostly true but it depends on the how sophisticated the circuitry is to isolate the chips into separate “mono” channels. But the “improvement” is only about like 15% with more dBs due to less stress the chips are under.

Also it’s not necessarily true that more expensive aren’t “superior” sounding. Since everyone on these threads are focus on the Analog in the Digital-to-Analog hardware. Its really the software end that makes the magic happen with sophisticated software engineering with flawless integration with the hardware and the know-how how to use the apps and algorithms besides the high end specs. It shouldn’t be overlooked especially when 90% of the complaints about the Zishan(s) and many chi-dacs revolve around firmware issues. And to be honest I would prefer seeing more software engineering discussion happening in the Audio DIY community with flawless integration with the hardware rather than endless talks about esoteric discussions about the hardware of high end specs researched on the internet but like the fear of “driverless” cars, having input/say with “hands-on” experience with circuitry gives a false sense of security as many can’t accept that sensors in monitoring these things can be self diagnosis software can do a better job than any human. If you want total control get a vinyl or cassette player sans digital-to-analog conversion because everything can done digitally these days with better files with more information of data being processed at a faster rate (including audio signal, DC offset issues, total harmonic distortion or THD+N, etc) The digital simply reads the files so whatever is on those recordings is in the playback even the “errors” are read. It’s that simple. Better specs also expose imperfections in the recordings and “amplifies” them in many cases.

“The output impedance of 10 Ohms makes it not suitable for all IEMs, it is noticeable how the frequency response varies. It's a shame Zishan hasn't solved this yet.”

The frequency response repair can be fixed with other better clocks or sampling repairs on the actual files using software. Also high and low pass filters also have pass through variations in both the hardware and software side that coincide with “release” and smooth or steep slopes of the filters so it’s a lot more complicated then just charting the output impedance requirements. Moreover the Zishan Dsd is designed with Dsd and high res filters in mind. Some IEMs are more sensitive or require more power and unless you know what you doing in terms of playing with resistance values (as a prerequisite you must know algebra and how it relates to circuitry). I wouldn’t mess with this since it would make the player MORE unstable with ‘some’ other iems not working and then you would be back to square one. Just get a external headphone amp make it easy on yourself (problem solved!)

“Not about rockbox, but I can hear the difference between a "bad", cpu inexpensive _realtime_ resample algoritm to a good one (heavy on cpu).
I can't hear any difference of resamples with a good real time resampler, I tried this many years ago.
There are many realtime resample algorithms, not all sound the same, some are bound to HW restrictions (cpu, battery).”

I have no idea what he is talking about? He’s half right about the cpu, battery consumption. However, higher end players like Ashton & Kern that cost 3,000 do have the firmware, multi core processor and firmware to upsample in real time but that’s what you paying for! The Zishan is a budget DAC even if you put firmware that can upsample don’t attempt this! Just upsample your music files beforehand. Most SRC software are pretty stable and do a great job if you see the benefits of upsampling. Aforementioned information is a bit dated about the algorithms which has more to do with buffering time and cpu speed, and hardware spec prerequisites in order to run real-time upsampling programs to DSD and DXD that chips like the AK4497eq were designed for not to mention Xmos daughter cards with great clock accuracy of run through PC or MAC. And they do sound better with the right dac (pre amp or desktop) that can handle them! Just do your research there are plenty of viable options!

Noise is very interesting one. Many people believe that it’s all bad in the Audio signal. However, if you are listening to flac, wav, aiff, mp3 or even dsd (at 1 bit) beneath the 24 bit high resolution introducing noise like dithering actually makes your files sound better. A great dither algorithm/internal dither that doesn’t strip the file of its natural sounds can enhance what you hear! Flat and triangular works best. But some files do require noise shaping dithering. It’s actually been scientifically proven that by introducing dither at lower resolution improves sound for Human ears. This all done be software not hardware! However some very sensitive iems will actually make the lower resolution sound worse because they can pick up the noise.

For instance, homemade iems lack the ability to be fine tuned with dedicated software like a high-end iems can(ba, hybrid or not) and it’s reflected in the price like Fearless iems have with its Y2K software comes to mind. Moreover, if you have iems that cost 400+ than do yourself a favor a buy a 3,000 DAC not crap on a budget dac with already excellent sound albeit not “perfect”!

It’s somewhat fruitless to chart things if you can’t access apps that can reconfigure the sound coming out of the iems; There are apps that can do this. Or enabling more decoders to have more features on your digital files baked into them like MQA. Just my opinion though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back