ZiShan DSDs HiFi Player Thread
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #61 of 119
Problem with sound of H1 must be somewhere else than voltage of plate on 30V instead of 100V. Operational heating of tube volts like spec 6,3V +/-5%
Probably power supply by one rail from 3,7V accu. Everything's from one source CPU, DAC, LPF, Tube pre-amp and OPA amplifier.
Lo-quality power rail on single PCB?

When ADIII with same tube and voltage section arrive I make side by side comparison of devices using same gain and opa - Muses 8820.

Dec 12, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #62 of 119
It's not the right thread to discuss it, and yes there are ways to operate tubes at very low voltages, I found some Infos about starving operations of triodes but I guess ZiShan just failed to implement something that sounds good. And as said this tube seems not even work as a gain stage so it's nothing else than some kind of fake tube amp with failed tube filter.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #64 of 119
I think would be better to merge all threads of Zishan's device. All currently in production sharing similar design.
Or maybe a zishan mods thread

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 119
In official GAD store on TaoBao just found Zishan A1 Amplifier. It's based on transistors only - without opamps

Sounds interesting...

When ADIII with same tube and voltage section arrive I make side by side comparison of devices using same gain and opa - Muses 8820

Yes do that. I’m interesting if that amp is worth it and it looks mod friendly. We should create a page for that if it’s worth buy in stock...

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #66 of 119
Sounds interesting...
[...]
Yes do that. I’m interesting if that amp is worth it and it looks mod friendly. We should create a page for that if it’s worth buy in stock...

I made deeper research and it's available only 12V+/- in standard version right now on Taobao. Was also 18V+/- but not avalible.

Discrete transistor in PCB section as a buffer and AD797 as voltage amp soldered in SO8.

Today arrive a ADIII OCL and replace opamp for muses 8820 for comparison with DSDs 8820 also.

@edit
My impressions from post in DSD's topic
This device is really cheap and have problem with Sub-bas presentation and overall resolution.
However, here is a "wow effect" of sound when I run it but definitely Lo-Res Audio. In good and exotic for portable usage way.
Tube as buffer really work as was design to do. Give warmth with unique roll of. Work as vocal pre amplifier with compression and midrange accent.
Comparing DSDs to ADIII is like dry sound, precise and wide soundstage to wet sound with intimits vocals with warmth.
I had really good pure tube amp OTL. Based on finest tubes ECC88 and 6S7N working in pure A class. ADIII have that spirit of sound but overall clarity compared to build in DSDs amplifier is definitely rolled off.
It's like sweet effect for headphones.
And have a lot of power! Definitly twice times louder that DSDs.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #67 of 119
I made deeper research and it's available only 12V+/- in standard version right now on Taobao. Was also 18V+/- but not avalible.

Yea 18V +/- is way better than 12V +/- and holding off on getting it makes sense!

Discrete transistor in PCB section as a buffer and AD797 as voltage amp soldered in SO8.

When done with thought and know-how and great transistors this is the best way to good but it takes skill the match them and make them sound awesome!

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #69 of 119
@HeyManslowdown97 I think I will keep using build in amplifier. If Zishan relese also in AliExpress updated version I will consider this. Right now I will focus using portable tube ADIII

Yea good plan. I also hate using third party “agents” to make the sell on Taobao. I don’t blame you for waiting to wait and see if AliExpress gets the updated version.

I actually don’t think the Zishan with Cirrus Logic DAC is worth it...not because of the dac chip but you get a Hiby R2 for 200 and it’a the chip with better firmware. The hardware mods won’t make it “sound” better with the Zishan until they allow DIY friendly tuning mods on their firmware.

I’m gonna pick up the ADIII b/c it’s cheap enough with lots of upswing with hardware mods with little $ to do so. I read If correctly that it has like 800 mw for 300 ohms output-that’s impressive!

Are there any hums or floor noise in high/low gain on the ADIII??

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #70 of 119
Has any one gotten the Cs version yet, how is it against the others??

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #72 of 119
ZiShan DSDs
Upgraded model of ZiShan DSD audio player, available in 2 different versions:

1. ZiShan DSDs Dual AK4497EQ, featuring;
- PCM playback: up to 32bit/384kHz
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4497EQ*2
- LPF: OP275*2 (Soldered)
- AMP: LM4562 (Rollable)
- Output power: 400mW @32Ω
- MCU: STM32F7
- CLPD: Altera Max II
- Crystal oscillator: Dual; @45.1584-MHz ,49.1520-MHz
- PO: 3.5mm
- BO: 2.5mm AK
- LO: 3.5mm
- Coaxial: 3.5mm TS
- Display: 2.4" WQVGA
- Operation method: 5 physical buttons
- EQ: 180 preset, custom equalizer available
- Sound filter, DSD frequency cutoff, sound quality, sleep timer options, etc are available
- USB port: Type-C (Combined charging and USB DAC ports)
- Relay: Axicom IMO 1 3VDC (PO only)
- USB DAC: fixed 16bit/48kHz
- SD Card expansion: 256GB (FAT32 required)
- Battery: 3.8V 3000mAh
- Body dimensions: 80mm x 58mm x 24mm (H x W x T)

DSDs AK4497:
~ Inside
DSDs 4497 inside.jpg

~ Block diagram
DSDs 4497 block diagram.jpg

==//==

2. ZiShan DSDs Single AK4499EQ, featuring;
- PCM playback: up to 32bit/384kHz
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 1bit/11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4499EQ
- I/V: Pro version; AD8620*4 LPF (Soldered) / Normal version; OP275*4 (Soldered)
- LPF: Pro version: MUSES02 AMP (Rollable) / Normal version: LM4562 (Rollable)
- AMP: BUF634*2 (Soldered)
- Output power: 400mW @32Ω
- MCU: STM32F7
- CLPD: Altera Max II
- Crystal oscillator: Dual; @45.1584-MHz ,49.1520-MHz
- PO: 3.5mm
- BO: 2.5mm AK (note: when you use the 2.5mm balanced port, you must connect an amplifier or a balanced pre-amplifier.)
- LO: 3.5mm
- Coaxial: 3.5mm TS
- Display: 2.4" WQVGA
- Operation method: 5 physical press buttons
- EQ: 180 preset, custom equalizer available
- Sound filter, DSD frequency cutoff, sound quality, sleep timer options, etc are available
- USB port: Type-C (Combined charging and USB DAC ports)
- Relay: Axicom IMO 1 3VDC (PO only)
- USB DAC: fixed 16bit/48kHz
- SD Card expansion: 256GB (FAT32 required)
- Battery: 3.8V 3000mAh
- Body dimensions: 80mm x 58mm x 24mm (H x W x T)

DSDs AK4499EQ:
~ Inside
DSDs 4499 inside.png

~ Block diagram
ZiShan DSDs 4499 Block Diagram v0.2a.png
(Couldn't find the block diagram for the 4499 so i decided to make one by my own.)

Gallery:

Front & rearTop & bottomWhat you'll getQuick start guide
Front & rear.jpgTop & bottom.jpgWhat you'll get.jpgDSDs design layout.jpg
Playback supportZiShan player comparisonSound filtersSound quality setting
Supported playback codecs.jpgzishan comparison.jpgSound filters.jpgSound quality setting.jpg
(Open links down below to see more information.)

Links:
∆ You can get DSDs AK4497 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000785853010.html
∆ You can get DSDs AK4499 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000786175396.html
∆ Firmwares:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1vFVaDb6TuRP6JdYJD0xKfA
Password: 0brr

Updates:
None so far.

NOTE:
If your DSDs is draining a lot of battery and exhibiting a lot of heat, you might want to turn off the "Turbo" DAC setting. That way, your DSDs will have an extended battery life and less heat.

P.S. I know the DSDs is kinda "cold" now, but due to requests and the fact that the DSDs is a different line up from the old DSD, so I decided to make it happen. And there you go, i hope this thread can be useful.

Stay healthy,
God bless

Has anybody accessed those Chinese Baidu firmwares? I can see all versions there 0.5a-0.5c but I can't download, if anybody managed to download them, please upload them here. these links don't work. THANKS

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #73 of 119
This is amazing @IcedFrosty I've never seem this much information about the Zishans. It even has what lcd screen model and description of all the specs! So cool. Thanks for making this!!!

Nice block you made for the Ak4499 too!

I have both the DSDs. It nice to see a thread dedicated to these two only. It gets confusing with all the different models and firmware updates for all them to keep track!

I just happened to find a DSDs owner! I own the dual 4497 model. I still can’t determine where the turbo mode is. Is it default/high quality Or full speed switch?
i keep looking for older/ alternative firmware if any. I tried 0.5b,0.5c. They sound the same, except 0.5c fixed the volume down control. The only one complaint I have is that it cuts the beginning of the tracks Cue files are used. I wish it were fixed In a next firmware. I Myself would write To the developer if I new who they are..

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #74 of 119
I wish it were fixed In a next firmware. I Myself would write To the developer if I new who they are..

I wish we at least knew what was programmed on the FPGA like what the digital filter “cut offs” are, etc. In my opinion this is what plays a big role in the dap sound the way it does! I do like that the dac circuitry is kept simple, not overly complicated and sticks very close to the AKm evaluation board on the Zishan. I would love to love to know what the FPGA is programmed to though.

The dual CS chip version probably sounds great as well!

The “turbo mode” just activates all 4 dial channel op amps not just 2 in plain mode.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #75 of 119
My DCS43198 DSDs arrived. The sound character falls somewhere between the high-end Sabres and AKs. A winner in my books. A nice balance. Can't beat the price of $94USD. Definitely a buy, just to give it a try.
Does it have the same Soundstage as the other dsd's and dsd's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back