ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #706 of 1,497
Hi, me again. 

After a few messages back and forth, I have a means to return/exchange them if I want. The first three messages said something to the effect of "don't worry, we will provide the best service...have you talked to bhazard?" The fourth message, however, outlines the process. Basically I have to pay to send them back in a manner that is trackable and that will be received in China within five days. That leaves, FedEx, DHL or USPS Priority International (prices range from $60 to $100). Once I do that, they will test them and if there's an issue, he'll send a replacement. I was okay with the two week delay for this whole process, but I'm not okay paying another $60 to $100 to get another pair if mine were defective. Edit: I think he would reimburse me if they are defective

-Collin-

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #707 of 1,497
  Hi, me again. 

After now four messages to Jim, he has finally provided me a means to return/exchange them if I want. The first three messages said something to the effect of "don't worry, we will provide the best service...have you talked to bhazard?" The fourth message, however, outlines the process and it sucks. Basically I have to pay to send them back in a manner that is trackable and that will be received in China within five days. That leaves, FedEx, DHL or USPS Priority International (prices range from $60 to $100). Once I do that, Jim will test them and if there's an issue, he'll send a replacement. I was okay with the two week delay for this whole process, but I'm not okay paying another $60 to $100 to get another pair if mine were defective. 

So, long story short: I'm just going to keep them and throw them in a drawer. I have plenty of other IEMs that I really enjoy and frankly, not every purchase can be a home run. For me, these weren't. Even worse, I think I'm going to stick to name brands from now on simply for an actual warranty rather than catching an AliExpress seller when he is in a good mood.  

-Collin-

Try Trinity great IEM's and customer service.  Even though they're UK based they have a US distribution center so shipping and returns are easy.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #708 of 1,497
  Now, I will not go ahead and call the QT5's mid recessed but I can easily see someone describing them as such as there is indeed a dip in the upper mids. I have the Z5 (similar to A3) and the FLC8s (somewhat similar to the DN 2000j). Compared to these iems the QT5 is a lot thicker and warmer and in direct A/B comparison sounds veiled and lacking in clarity. There does not seem to be any information missing in the sound really but it is a MUCH more colored earphone that can lead to the impression of a "veil".

On the topic of driver initialization and crossover not working properly, no offense but I don't think a loose cable connection can cause "one" driver not firing or the crossover network not working properly. A loose connection is a loose connection, all it means is that the proper transmission of analogue electrical signal from the source to the earphone is not there. 

Same case for the topic of burning in. The burn in game is just too strong in this thread to be honest. It is something fundamentally impossible. If it works for you, great. But suggesting others that the QT5 sound will change drastically with some magic numbers of usage (without actually listening to them, even) is ridiculous. Yes the brain might get used to it, but its frequency response isn't changing one bit. 

Also, for those thinking of jumping in on the QT5 bandwagon because its a direct upgrade to the FLC8s/DN2000j, I believe its worth mentioning that the QT5 has a wildly different sound signature. It may be an upgrade only if you are looking for something entirely different and don't really like the FLC8s/DUNU signature, even then I am hesitant to call it an upgrade. QT5 is a good sounding earphone with a thick, lower mid forward signature (think the old westone UM3X/ Earsonics SM3). So if someone is expecting the linearity and clarity of the DUNU or FLC iems, QT5 is not quite there. 

I appreciate this post. Still, part of me is wondering if I just had too high of an expectation for these. There are many factors such as source, DAC/amp and which song you're listening to in order to hear what you described above. For me, a fair number of songs sound totally fine (Pop, hip hop, etc.), but with acoustic stuff and more classical type music, the vocals aren't acceptable to me. Something like an Ed Sheeran still sounds quite veiled to me. 

I also agree with Paulus that these sound a lot better being amped. There is a noticeable difference from straight out of the phone and adding the Dragonfly Red. 

-Collin-

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #709 of 1,497
  Hi, me again. 

After now four messages to Jim, he has finally provided me a means to return/exchange them if I want. The first three messages said something to the effect of "don't worry, we will provide the best service...have you talked to bhazard?" The fourth message, however, outlines the process and it sucks. Basically I have to pay to send them back in a manner that is trackable and that will be received in China within five days. That leaves, FedEx, DHL or USPS Priority International (prices range from $60 to $100). Once I do that, Jim will test them and if there's an issue, he'll send a replacement. I was okay with the two week delay for this whole process, but I'm not okay paying another $60 to $100 to get another pair if mine were defective. 

So, long story short: I'm just going to keep them and throw them in a drawer. I have plenty of other IEMs that I really enjoy and frankly, not every purchase can be a home run. For me, these weren't. Even worse, I think I'm going to stick to name brands from now on simply for an actual warranty rather than catching an AliExpress seller when he is in a good mood.  

-Collin-

Why 5 days?? I don't get that.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #711 of 1,497

Why 5 days?? I don't get that.

If I'm being honest, part of me thinks it's to dissuade folks from a return (just like I thought this when people started talking 200 hour burn-in sessions to miss the return window). But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt although I still can't answer your question lol.

-Collin-

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #712 of 1,497
  Yes mate, I will say it is a good deal thicker than the Z5. Not really darker though, as the QT5 has comparable treble presence (may be just a tad less). QT5 is unique in this sense, it has a thick, boomy sound but with excellent treble extension.

Z5 sounds a lot more natural to my ears though.  

Looking forward to your impressions! Yes the FLC8s is one tough fella to beat.  

The reason I sold the Z5 was how bassy and slow it sounded :/  Definitely not how I pictured the QT5 to sound. Thanks for the comparison bud. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #713 of 1,497
  Just ran another A/B with and without Mojo and the Mojo also takes QT5's mids to another level of transparency and presence, pushing vocals and instruments forward. I start to think that QT5 truly shines amped. Would like to know others experiences with other amps, because this can be rather the DAC, the amp, or both.

I totally agree..
Although,as of now,I do not have the QT5's,still up in the air,about them.,cant decide betweenn the QT5's & the ShockWave III's
90% of the time,I use my desktop setup,which is a Schiit Asgaard-2 amp,and the Schiit GungnirMB dac,with ALL my IEM's

I know,this might be a bit of overkill,,but my ears tell me it's not,..it gives me about a 25% increase in SQ.,detail,bass,highs,all increased

When I do travel,or,need music,when I'm outside..I use the Fiio X3.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #714 of 1,497
Now, I will not go ahead and call the QT5's mid recessed but I can easily see someone describing them as such as there is indeed a dip in the upper mids. I have the Z5 (similar to A3) and the FLC8s (somewhat similar to the DN 2000j). Compared to these iems the QT5 is a lot thicker and warmer and in direct A/B comparison sounds veiled and lacking in clarity. There does not seem to be any information missing in the sound really but it is a MUCH more colored earphone that can lead to the impression of a "veil".

On the topic of driver initialization and crossover not working properly, no offense but I don't think a loose cable connection can cause "one" driver not firing or the crossover network not working properly. A loose connection is a loose connection, all it means is that the proper transmission of analogue electrical signal from the source to the earphone is not there. 

Same case for the topic of burning in. The burn in game is just too strong in this thread to be honest. It is something fundamentally impossible. If it works for you, great. But suggesting others that the QT5 sound will change drastically with some magic numbers of usage (without actually listening to them, even) is ridiculous. Yes the brain might get used to it, but its frequency response isn't changing one bit. 

Also, for those thinking of jumping in on the QT5 bandwagon because its a direct upgrade to the FLC8s/DN2000j, I believe its worth mentioning that the QT5 has a wildly different sound signature. It may be an upgrade only if you are looking for something entirely different and don't really like the FLC8s/DUNU signature, even then I am hesitant to call it an upgrade. QT5 is a good sounding earphone with a thick, lower mid forward signature (think the old westone UM3X/ Earsonics SM3). So if someone is expecting the linearity and clarity of the DUNU or FLC iems, QT5 is not quite there. 
[/quote

What you say makes sense...although I believe that burn in May have some impact on some iems I just can't see it being the solution to what is or is not affecting the QT5. This is why I am waiting for more input before pulling the trigger.. I have experienced receiving a defective product(not saying these are) and it is definitely no fun. Then when you factor in the wait time for delivery, and then the return and replacement time it really ups the frustration and takes for me some of the joy out of the transaction. On a high dollar purchase I prefer to be patient rather than being led by the initial hype albeit true or not. I definitely want to experience these but do not want to deal with the frustration, although there is a bit of a risk with any purchase that you cannot demo upfront...JMO

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #715 of 1,497

I totally agree..
Although,as of now,I do not have the QT5's,still up in the air,about them.,cant decide betweenn the QT5's & the ShockWave III's
90% of the time,I use my desktop setup,which is a Schiit Asgaard-2 amp,and the Schiit GungnirMB dac,with ALL my IEM's

I know,this might be a bit of overkill,,but my ears tell me it's not,..it gives me about a 25% increase in SQ.,detail,bass,highs,all increased

When I do travel,or,need music,when I'm outside..I use the Fiio X3.

SW3 has that amazing sub-bass. But QT5 has the better treble, although you can't even imagine if you don't A/B. SW3 treble is excellent already. You'll be happy with any of them. If you feel safer going SW3 route, I encourage you to go ahead. You'll love them. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #716 of 1,497
  Hi, me again. 

-Collin-

Collin,
This gets me a little PO'd,because I hate to see you back down this way.

You paid good money for a product ,that may or,may not be faulty,but it's not working properly.
The seller,should figure out a way of you,shipping them back to you,for free,or give you a full refund..this is total BS!!!
Sticking them in a drawer,is not an answer to your issue
OK-Good Luck,and I hope the best ,for you.
Mike

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #717 of 1,497

SW3 has that amazing sub-bass. But QT5 has the better treble, although you can't even imagine if you don't A/B. SW3 treble is excellent already. You'll be happy with any of them. If you feel safer going SW3 route, I encourage you to go ahead. You'll love them. 

Well,I got a price on the SW3's,I just can't turn down,it is from AliExpress...,PM me,if you want more info.

Mike

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #718 of 1,497
  Collin,
This gets me a little PO'd,because I hate to see you back down this way.

You paid good money for a product ,that may or,may not be faulty,but it's not working properly.
The seller,should figure out a way of you,shipping them back to you,for free,or give you a full refund..this is total BS!!!
Sticking them in a drawer,is not an answer to your issue
OK-Good Luck,and I hope the best ,for you.
Mike

Thanks and I agree Mike, but at the same time given that I'm not sure if they're defective or not, I don't want to open a dispute on AliExpress. Sort of a tough situation: risk $65 to send back the IEMs and have Jim tell me they're fine, or just keep them and always wonder if mine do not sound like everyone else's. 

I have a better idea: I'll send them to the kind folks on this thread and they can tell me if I'm crazy or not. I'll miss my return window, but I suppose my mental health will be improved 
dt880smile.png

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #719 of 1,497

Since I'm in the market for new IEMs (LOL!), have you compared the DQSM D2 that everyone is talking about to the SW3 or QT5?

-Collin-

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #720 of 1,497

Thanks and I agree Mike, but at the same time given that I'm not sure if they're defective or not, I don't want to open a dispute on AliExpress. Sort of a tough situation: risk $65 to send back the IEMs and have Jim tell me they're fine, or just keep them and always wonder if mine do not sound like everyone else's. 

I have a better idea: I'll send them to the kind folks on this thread and they can tell me if I'm crazy or not. I'll miss my return window, but I suppose my mental health will be improved 
dt880smile.png

I was just thinking about that. If you want, I can test them. However, I'm in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back