ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #663 of 1,497
Have anyone here tried the any other cable with QT5 and face the same connector issue????

It isn't the cables. I had the muffled sound on two different cables, balanced and unbalanced, until it started working correctly.

It's one of the drivers not initializing, either from the connection or something else. Once it does start working, you can hear everything that was previously missing. It's a very pronounced change, unlike burn in. It stays initialized too, so I don't think it's a loose connection or incorrect crossover connection.

I loved the LZ a2, which had a nice relaxed sound. The QT5 is similar with better extension, detail, soundstage, etc. The Shockwave 3 is great too, but can get bright and fatiguing (I'm treble sensitive).

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #664 of 1,497
It's one of the drivers not initializing, either from the connection or something else. Once it does start working, you can hear everything that was previously missing. It's a very pronounced change, unlike burn in. It stays initialized too, so I don't think it's a loose connection or incorrect crossover connection.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. OOTB mine already had superior SQ to anything else in my collection then after a few hours of listening to them they somehow unlocked onto a whole new level. There no manufacturer fault here. Just plug and play and let these little beasts unlock and open up! I only feel inspired to share info about IEMs when they are in my ears and it would be a real shame for others to miss out on such world class SQ for this $ simply based on a misunderstanding. All these stainless steel enigmas need is to be left overnight at a decent volume playing your tunes while you sleep! Its magic! :basshead:

P.S Im impressed by the quality of the stock cable !If you want too see shoody braiding just send me yours and Ill re-braid em for you after a bottle of merlot late in the evening ! :blink:

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #666 of 1,497
I think you just hit the nail on the head. OOTB mine already had superior SQ to anything else in my collection then after a few hours of listening to them they somehow unlocked onto a whole new level. There no manufacturer fault here. Just plug and play and let these little beasts unlock and open up! I only feel inspired to share info about IEMs when they are in my ears and it would be a real shame for others to miss out on such world class SQ based on misunderstanding that all these stainless steel enigmas need is to be left overnight at a decent volume playing your tunes while you sleep! Its magic! :basshead:

P.S Im impressed by the quality of the stock cable !If you want too see shoody braiding just send me yours and Ill re-braid em for you after a bottle of merlot late in the evening ! :blink:

Yeah, let's hope these little beasts just do their magic. 300 bucks is no small investment but yolo. I think i might just pull the trigger on these.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #667 of 1,497
Yeah, let's hope these little beasts just do their magic. 300 bucks is no small investment but yolo. I think i might just pull the trigger on these.

I paid over 300 for mine included 3-4 day shipping. . my fault for being impatient, unlike KimD and others who asked for Headfi discount and got theres for under $260 :confused_face:

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #670 of 1,497
I think you just hit the nail on the head. OOTB mine already had superior SQ to anything else in my collection then after a few hours of listening to them they somehow unlocked onto a whole new level. There no manufacturer fault here. Just plug and play and let these little beasts unlock and open up!

It's not that simple. No amount of burn in can fix a crossover issue (if that is what is happening for Seesax. I'm just speculating, and speculating is bad)

If it was a crossover issue though, my "push and twist" thing wouldn't have mattered for my set. It's confusing, so I can understand any hesitation. The majority of everyone's sets seem to be working with positive impressions though.

Like you said, it'd be a shame for some to miss out on the SQ. It gives people who want higher tier sound a chance to hear it without having to spend $500+  

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #672 of 1,497
  It's not that simple. No amount of burn in can fix a crossover issue (if that is what is happening for Seesax. I'm just speculating, and speculating is bad)

If it was a crossover issue though, my "push and twist" thing wouldn't have mattered. It's confusing, so I can understand any hesitation. The majority seem to be ok though, and really like the sound like I do.

Well, I suppose the only thing I have not tried is cranking them up and "unlocking" them in that way. I am not sure how high is safe, but I do have equipment that can really blast the volumes to the sky. Is this something I should try? Perhaps on the verge of distortion? 

I have spent a few hours today A/B'ing (and the rest of the alphabet) these earphones against all my others. I do not own another pair that have the mids recessed and veiled/muffled as much as these QT5s so there is something still definitely wrong. My list includes: MRD-EX1000, XBA-A3, T-Peos Altone200, Dunu DN-2000J, LZ A2, LZ A3, HiFiMan RE-600 and Yamaha EPH-100. While the sound signatures are wildly different between all those, none have the same muffled vocals I'm experiencing. 

I'm sure there are those who still think I'm an idiot and while that is likely true, please trust me when I say I am giving these every fair shot I possibly can and do not wish to ever spread misinformation. 

-Collin-

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #674 of 1,497

Well, I suppose the only thing I have not tried is cranking them up and "unlocking" them in that way. I am not sure how high is safe, but I do have equipment that can really blast the volumes to the sky. Is this something I should try? Perhaps on the verge of distortion? 

I have spent a few hours today A/B'ing (and the rest of the alphabet) these earphones against all my others. I do not own another pair that have the mids recessed and veiled/muffled as much as these QT5s so there is something still definitely wrong. My list includes: MRD-EX1000, XBA-A3, T-Peos Altone200, Dunu DN-2000J, LZ A2, LZ A3, HiFiMan RE-600 and Yamaha EPH-100. While the sound signatures are wildly different between all those, none have the same muffled vocals I'm experiencing. 

I'm sure there are those who still think I'm an idiot and while that is likely true, please trust me when I say I am giving these every fair shot I possibly can and do not wish to ever spread misinformation. 

-Collin-

No, nobody thinks anything, I'm positive one of your midrange drivers is faulty, since mids are never recessed and/or muffled. Mids are superb on these IEMs. It's a shame your's defective, but at this point I have no doubts. I would send them back asap, maybe they can even send you a new one rather than repairing, which would be much faster.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #675 of 1,497

-Collin-

I actually agree with you, the mids on these seem a bit muffled. The sound is big, but the sound isn't of the highest quality. On the one hand, I don't experience fatigue, but it still leaves something to be desired. The clarity and sparkle in the vocals and in general just isn't there. (Edit: I made this comment with Bass EQ on - I still stand by them, just less severely)

I still find it to be an enjoyable IEM. If I ever strike it rich, I will try them all, but I'm settling on this one for now. They are still impressive despite the slight muffle and lack of clarity. Also have to factor in the source and recording. I don't want to be too analytical or critical on these because I did enjoy them OOTB. But if I want to get analytical I have definitely heard cleaner sound coming out from IEM's (though I haven't tried many), and I wish these could be more crisper, exciting. Something about these are appealing though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back