ZHAOLU Central - No Fluff, pure info thread
Jun 15, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #76 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyamaiata
How good are the included PSU and power cord of the Zhalou? Is it worth getting a new PSU and power cord?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Well the power cord issue is always going to be up for debate. My advice is not to spend more than 20% of the units cost, but that's just my advice.

Effects of the power cord can be paramount. However, you need to try different power cords and pick the one(s) you like. I tried Van Den Hul Mainstream, and it makes sonics very pleasant and smoother. JPS brings dynamics and huge sound stage. The AC connectors also matter. Choose ones that match the cord.

My suggestion is to cap your budget for the power cord and to try ones before spending. If you like two or more cords but have a limited budget, then choose the one that "fits" music titles you listen to the most of your time. I put 6-feet Mainstream on my Zhaolu D2.0. More than happy !
eggosmile.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #77 of 104
Argh, I typed a reply but it got eaten.

Yes, Eddie said that he's upgrading 7 caps in the power stage with Elna caps for free. He's also still including the free opamp upgrades. That's one reason to order from Eddie.

The problem with ordering from ifi to Canada is that you have to pay for the shipping to the US (already included in the price), but then also the shipping to Canada after that (I'm assuming that ifi doesn't offer free shipping to Canada). Not only that, but ifi ships with UPS, and UPS will rape you with brokerage fees once you receive the shipment in Canada. Don't ignore this warning about UPS.

The question I have now is how does customs/brokerage work for the shipping method that Eddie uses for Canadian buyers (EMS speed post)? Does anyone know? I'd like to know what to expect to pay once the shipment arrives other than tax.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #78 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
Argh, I typed a reply but it got eaten.

Yes, Eddie said that he's upgrading 7 caps in the power stage with Elna caps for free. He's also still including the free opamp upgrades. That's one reason to order from Eddie.

The problem with ordering from ifi to Canada is that you have to pay for the shipping to the US (already included in the price), but then also the shipping to Canada after that (I'm assuming that ifi doesn't offer free shipping to Canada). Not only that, but ifi ships with UPS, and UPS will rape you with brokerage fees once you receive the shipment in Canada. Don't ignore this warning about UPS.

The question I have now is how does customs/brokerage work for the shipping method that Eddie uses for Canadian buyers (EMS speed post)? Does anyone know? I'd like to know what to expect to pay once the shipment arrives other than tax.

There won't be any brokerage fee involved with EMS Speed Post. Brokerage fees only apply with UPS, DHL and FedEx.

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #79 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by pho_boi
There won't be any brokerage fee involved with EMS Speed Post. Brokerage fees only apply with UPS, DHL and FedEx.

Sweet. Hmm.. it seems like my package should come at around June 30th. I heard somewhere that tax will go down from 14% to 12% on July 1st. I wonder if I should ask him to wait a day to save the 2% tax? Heh, just kidding mostly. It's like $5.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #80 of 104
I have a Zhaolu cable question for some of you guys here, just so I don't make the wrong decision on cables:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/cal...olution_51.jpg

The above is a picture of the digital output of the M-Audio Revo 5.1. I believe it's a coaxial digital, not optical digital. I'm thinking of buying my cable from bluejeanscable, so I go to their site, click on "Digital", and I'd have to select BNC to BNC connectors, right? (to connect M-Audio Revo to the Zhaolu digital input)

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #81 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I have a Zhaolu cable question for some of you guys here, just so I don't make the wrong decision on cables:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/cal...olution_51.jpg

The above is a picture of the digital output of the M-Audio Revo 5.1. I believe it's a coaxial digital, not optical digital. I'm thinking of buying my cable from bluejeanscable, so I go to their site, click on "Digital", and I'd have to select BNC to BNC connectors, right? (to connect M-Audio Revo to the Zhaolu digital input)

You want RCA to RCA connectors, not BNC. That digital output on your Revo is a RCA coxial and the Zhaolu has a RCA coaxial input. The best coaxial digital audio cable Blue Jeans sells made with the Belden 1695A and would suggest you go with that one. It's highly regarded and a major bang for the buck. It's a bit more expensive than their other offerings but it's a really good cable for digital audio.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #82 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
You want RCA to RCA connectors, not BNC. That digital output on your Revo is a RCA coxial and the Zhaolu has a RCA coaxial input. The best coaxial digital audio cable Blue Jeans sells made with the Belden 1695A and would suggest you go with that one. It's highly regarded and a major bang for the buck. It's a bit more expensive than their other offerings but it's a really good cable for digital audio.

Thanks for the reply -- I'm lucky I asked before I hit the Buy button.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
I just have a question, how this DAC differs from the Headroom Micro DAC?

Forget its ability as an amplifier for now.

I would appreciate reports about this too.

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #86 of 104
The Zhaolu is described as a 192kHz/24bit DAC. Does that mean that it'll accept digital signals sampled at anything from 44.1 to 192?

Also, does anyone know an easy way of testing for bit-perfect 44.1kHz output from a coax cable? I'm using a laptop/HagUSB as a source now and do not have a DTS receiver.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

I will have a new dac list on 1th of Aug.
Take a look of the new product and you won't dissapointed.
wu.

first email

Quote:

Hi!
It is no need to pre order for the new one will stock 50 pc.
It is using D to A with PCM 1796 and cs-8416 as recevie
Everything is more Hi-Fi ,dynamic ,fast and rgiid bass than any DAc in my shop.
As usual it is thinner at Vocal for high and low extenstion is quite enough.
It is using transistor at PLL part and running in Class A current ,dso the sound
is warm and bass is tie.
Wu.

second email, both copied and pasted. that is all that he sent me.

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #89 of 104
I wish i wish...

he would make something that is SMALL and SWEET. takes optical in and RCA outs, NOTHING else... no headamp, no XLR balanced outputs to raise the price.

and small. like the size of the spitfire. maybe i'll just get the spitfire....

//edit: There's also the LITE DAC-AH modded... looks pretty small and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back