ZHAOLU Central - No Fluff, pure info thread
May 7, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

ssingh0

500+ Head-Fier
There are three different models for 2.0. Eddie has recommended upgrades to power supply and clock. The amp and one of the three models are still to come out at a later date, etc.

I know this from the gazillion posts in the other threads, but have no specific info. For those interested in purchasing and baffled, please post information only - (names, differences between models, names of specific upgrades, dates available, etc.)

Please post information only.

May 7, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 104
So this is an interest check thread?

I am interesting in getting a 2.0. I can't say which upgrade yet because I need to know a bit more about them first. Dates available? Probably at the end of this month if not next.

May 8, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 104
It has two RCA outs, two XLR outs (supposedly balanced, but there is much arguing going on about that), a digital coax in and an optical digital in, a 1/4" headphone out, and of course, power supply in. There are upgrades available now for DAC portion, and there will be supposed upgrades for the headamp in June, to make this more similar to the DAC1 and DA10 in style. US prices are $178 for standard and somewhere around $225 for the upgraded DAC chip.

May 8, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
So this is an interest check thread?

I am interesting in getting a 2.0. I can't say which upgrade yet because I need to know a bit more about them first. Dates available? Probably at the end of this month if not next.

No, not an interest check thread. (At least that is what I interpreted it as.) I think this is what ssingh0 was actually trying to avoid.
tongue.gif
I think he wants a thread with just technical details in it.

May 8, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
and there will be supposed upgrades for the headamp in June, to make this more similar to the DAC1 and DA10 in style

Isn't the biggest difference to the DAC1 and DA10 in the digital section. Both of these DACs implement additional jitter reduction schemes.

The DAC1 is using an AD1896 for asynchronous resampling. The DA10 uses the same chip in wide mode and implements a synchronous reclocking scheme in crystal mode.

From the data so far it seems the Zhaolu is relying on the PLL in the S/PDIF receiver for jitter reduction.

I also thought that the headphone stages in the DAC1 and the DA10 are completely different. The DAC1 uses integrated opamps while the DA10 uses a discrete circuit. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Thomas

May 8, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
There are three different models for 2.0. Eddie has recommended upgrades to power supply and clock.... I know this from the gazillion posts in the other threads, but have no specific info.

Those updates were only for 1.3 and not for 2.0 afaik. Eddie didnt suggest me any of those when i asked him.

May 8, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Those updates were only for 1.3 and not for 2.0 afaik. Eddie didnt suggest me any of those when i asked him.

In a recent email he said he is offering upgrades to the power supply and caps. He is also trying the 1ppm oscillator in the 2.0 and will know if he will be offering this clock upgrade around Tuesday.

May 8, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 104
The US distributor (http://www.ifiaudio.com) has updated their site a bit. Here's the reply I got when I asked about availability.
Thanks for the inquiry. I thought I'd be getting some this month, but it looks like the shipment won't be here until the end of May or early June! As much as I am a bit anxious as well but there is nothing I can do... At least when they are here, it'll be enough for everyone for a short while. There are no words on when exactly the headphone amp will be available. Please check the web site or I'll send out an e-mail to people when they are here. Thank you!

wei

Edit: Follow-up message from ifiaudio: The reason why the shipment is delayed, is my partner in China is waiting for the factory to fulfill the 40 unit order instead of the initial 12 units. It might take them a little bit more time to get all the 110v ones ready.

May 9, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 104
I got an email from eddie suggeting the best possible combo. he said

I will advise take
d-2.0 with cs-4398 for it is thicker and warmer at vocal.If you want
rigid bass place 2134am at buffer stage instead of DY-2000 .

He also says that it also depends on music prefrences...

May 9, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 104
I have question regarding the differences between the 3 D2 models. I understand there are 3 DAC chips to choose from. However, the cheaper model has different OP Amps (JRC5532) from the more expensive ones (OPA2604).

So my question is what do the OP Amps do/improve? More specifically, I plan to use only the fixed XLR/RCA outputs for now, will the OP Amps (OPA2604) affect/improve the sound from fixed outputs or do they only affect the headphone amp and/or variable pre-out?

Thanks.

May 9, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 104
In response to:
Quote:

i believe the 1852 is the basic one, there are three possibilities, it's the one used in zhaolu 1

Chengzhe (the chinese dealer or something) wrote:
1852 < 4398 < 1794

So, while Eddie (hong kong distributor) says 4398 is better because has thicker vocals, 1794 is suppose to be even better. It looks like its release date is farther away though.

May 9, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
In response to:

Chengzhe (the chinese dealer or something) wrote:
1852 < 4398 < 1794

So, while Eddie (hong kong distributor) says 4398 is better because has thicker vocals, 1794 is suppose to be even better. It looks like its release date is farther away though.

I wouldn't necessarily think in terms of which DAC chip is "better." Modern DAC chips pretty much enjoy similar performance level, and which one will sound better to you will depend on the overall system synergy and your tastes. For example, there are plenty of people who don't like 1794, and then there are many who would pick 1852 over the other two..

Too bad the newest AKM chips aren't an option
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back