Zhaolu 2.0 ARRIVED!!! IMPRESSION INSIDE!
Aug 2, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #811 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I kind of agree with Ori...I'm not sure Eddie deserves this much sliming over it. I don't appreciate Roger trying to downplay it like the cost was negligible, but maybe Ori's right that Eddie was not particularly knowledgeable about what the 'upgrade' was actually doing.

I do wonder about the refund thing, though.

Yeah. Maybe I was a bit too harsh. But something's still fishy.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #812 of 858
Hey akwok

As fun as this has been i really am not out to hurt ken's business.Alot of stupid non issue things have been said and we should get back on the topic.

And i do have fun on here,but i think alot of people may take this personal and this is suppose to be about fun.

It is only a hobby right?

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #813 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
Hey akwok

As fun as this has been i really am not out to hurt ken's business.Alot of stupid non issue things have been said and we should get back on the topic.

And i do have fun on here,but i think alot of people may take this personal and this is suppose to be about fun.

It is only a hobby right?

Whatever. Your call.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #814 of 858
Yay! Peace!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #815 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
Yay! Peace!
smily_headphones1.gif

This was just one battle...
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #816 of 858
just to post some more impressions on the ori-modded dac.

I got a new digital cable, an X-1, today. It clearly opened up the sound and give me a type of detail and sound stage that i never expected from the dac... it's even better now.
3000smile.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #817 of 858
So, what's the preferred configuration and price for this thing to get the most value?

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #818 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
just to post some more impressions on the ori-modded dac.

I got a new digital cable, an X-1, today. It clearly opened up the sound and give me a type of detail and sound stage that i never expected from the dac... it's even better now.
3000smile.gif

You mean ori's cable?

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #820 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
You mean ori's cable?

He said in his other thread it's the Oritek X-1.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #821 of 858
Quote:

Is everybody using the included optical audio cable? I heard that the glass optical cables on eBay were best. Has anybody used these on Zhaolu? Does it make a difference?

Where are you in Nebraska?

Not sure what most are using but I own a couple glass Toslink cables and they are noticeably better than typical plastic Toslink cables like the one the Zhaolu comes with. However, like others have reported, I prefer the coaxial connection - but it's real close. If optical is your only option I'd go for a glass toslink for sure.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #822 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
He said in his other thread it's the Oritek X-1.

Ok--i thought it was.10audio gave ori's IC cable a postive review some time ago.I have been meaning to try his digital connect.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #823 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Where are you in Nebraska?

Not sure what most are using but I own a couple glass Toslink cables and they are noticeably better than typical plastic Toslink cables like the one the Zhaolu comes with. However, like others have reported, I prefer the coaxial connection - but it's real close. If optical is your only option I'd go for a glass toslink for sure.

Hey I'm in Harrison (West Nebraska).

So would it be better to get glass optical cable or different CDP with coaxial?

Also a general optical question: Why are optical jacks and ends of optical cables covered all the time? Is it not safe to leave them open because of the light? Do they get damaged or something if the jack is open all the time or if you don't cover the tips or something?

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #824 of 858
Quote:

Hey I'm in Harrison (West Nebraska).

So would it be better to get glass optical cable or different CDP with coaxial?

Also a general optical question: Why are optical jacks and ends of optical cables covered all the time? Is it not safe to leave them open because of the light? Do they get damaged or something if the jack is open all the time or if you don't cover the tips or something?

Ah, out west. There's another guy in mid Nebraska with a Zhaolu too. So with us three that's about half the state's population that has a Zhaolu then! Crazy.

I am assuming you have a CDP that just has Toslink digital output? If so, honestly, I would not go through all the trouble of getting a new CDP just for coaxial digital out because the differences between Toslink and coaxial (at least in my system) is so minor and hard to hear that it wouldn't be worth it. That's assuming you are planning on getting a cdp of relatively the same build and quality of our current CDP. I say that becuase higher end CDP's and transports can offer better sounding digital output.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #825 of 858
I like the detail of the Zhaolu but some songs sound too bright (But other songs are just right). Does burn-in fix this? What about the Ori mod (Does Ori mod make it darker or colder?)? I am afraid that this might fix itself with burn-in or Ori mod but then I lose details in songs when it was fine (Since it would be darker). I am alraedy burning it in (~25 hours so far). What is the best solution:

1. 500 hour burn-in
2. Ori mod
3. Tube amplifier like "Darkvoice"

Will 3 mean less detail than my M3 (Because tubes are dark right?)?

Sorry if this is off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back