Zhaolu 2.0 ARRIVED!!! IMPRESSION INSIDE!
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #796 of 858
I am really liking my new Zhaolu! It adds energy to the sound and stronger bass! I have a few questions though:

1. Is it normal for the Signal LED to be dimmer than the Optical LED?

2. Is it normal for the volume knob to be tight/scratchy (Not through the sound, but feel) at 8 to 9 o' clock and 2 to 4 o'clock?

3. Everybody here burns the DAC in for MANY hours 24/7 right? So that means that it 100% safe to leave the music running all the time and it will not overheat or damage components from too much long use?

4. Is burn-in the same if volume is 100% or 0%? I think because the volume difference is for headphones and not DAC, it doesnt make a difference (So burning in 24/7 at 0 or low volume is the same as burning in at normal listening volume)?

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #797 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
This would probably be more entertaining if I didn't get such a terrible headache from trying to comprehend someone's posts...
redface.gif

*shrug* Want some pretz.. i mean popcorn?
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #798 of 858
It seems like the pro stormtroopers can't think of anything to come up with but a clock that was offered in an older no longer made unit.

If i had been a dealer of the product it may be different.At this point everything about the clock issue is useless.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #799 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
It seems like the pro stormtroopers can't think of anything to come up with but a clock that was offered in an older no longer made unit.

If i had been a dealer of the product it may be different.At this point everything about the clock issue is useless.

You were the one who asked about the clock.. so I answered. What's going on here?

So just because he scammed people on an older, no longer made unit, means that he's completely reputable now? If I went to rob a jewelery store, and the jewellery store goes out of business a few years later and changes hands, does this mean I'm not a criminal anymore?

You were the one who was piping up about reputation and shadyness. Now you're trying to justify that the scamming was okay, and that he's still not shady at all. You were lucky nobody really cared back then, but now it's right back out in the open thanks to you.

With this in mind, Eddie is a -scammer-, no less. I wouldn't be caught dead buying anything from him. And to think.. you suggested that the people of Head-Fi buy things from him, saying he's a great seller, while you knew full well in the back of your mind what Eddie has done before.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #800 of 858
Quote:

I think it's more than just this. Eddie was charging for this upgrade that did absolutely nothing. You seem to not understand that.

Also, why is this issue useless now? Has everyone who paid for the clock upgrade been refunded? If not, then I'd still consider it an issue.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #801 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
1. Is it normal for the Signal LED to be dimmer than the Optical LED?

No harm in that and no significance either.
Quote:

2. Is it normal for the volume knob to be tight/scratchy (Not through the sound, but feel) at 8 to 9 o' clock and 2 to 4 o'clock?

Just a lousy potentiometer. There have been reports about channel imbalance at certain spots.
Quote:

3. Everybody here burns the DAC in for MANY hours 24/7 right? So that means that it 100% safe to leave the music running all the time and it will not overheat or damage components from too much long use?

No issue. In fact, you may want to leave a CDP in endless loop to drive the inputs 24/7. No need for an amp to perform the burn-in process.
If you also want to burn-in the headamp circuit then you shoul leave the pot at 100% and plug in the headphones. If the setup is too noisy then you can make a "dummy load" from 47 ohm / 2 watt non-inductive resistors.

Almost forgot... Thank you for putting this thread back on track!!!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #802 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I think it's more than just this. Eddie was charging for this upgrade that did absolutely nothing. You seem to not understand that.

Also, why is this issue useless now? Has everyone who paid for the clock upgrade been refunded? If not, then I'd still consider it an issue.

Even if they did get refunded, it's still iffy in my books. He -tried- to scam, got caught red handed, and only then would he even think of a refund. If he didn't get caught, would he have said, "oh, I'm sorry guys! My mistake, the mod doesn't do anything - here's your money back!"? Don't think so.

Sure shows Eddie Wu's character.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #803 of 858
Ripping people off on e-bay seems to be the ken law special.O my mistake--a year later he sent them a dac and said he was sorry.Must have been an oversight.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #804 of 858
Quote:

Ripping people off on e-bay seems to be the ken law special.O my mistake--a year later he sent them a dac and said he was sorry.Must have been an oversight.

There was a mixup and misunderstanding between both Anil and Ken. If you speak to Anil (aksolanki), he will tell you that it was a mixup. If you want the full story, it had to do with Paypal, and an unexpected turn of events. Anil paid through Paypal, and Ken was building the DAC - Anil got worried after a little bit of time, retrieved his money, and Paypal closed Ken's account. With the money in Ken's account frozen, and him unable to retreive it, Ken wrote it off until a year later, when aksolanki contacted him again. Ken promptly sent Anil a full DAC for free (he ordered just the innards), and surprised by this act of kindness, Anil decided to give Ken some more money as compensation. AFAIK, the initial sum of money is still with Paypal.

Regardless, they are good buds now, and talk to each other frequently. No better way than to PM aksolanki and go straight to the source, if you don't believe me.
wink.gif

The same can't be said for the people who Eddie scammed. A blatant scam, not a misunderstanding at all! All those people in the dark, and all of their money still in Eddie's hands.

How were you able to recommend Eddie Wu when you knew that he was a scammer? Were you part of it? Seems kinda iffy you'd still be supporting him so strongly after all these fallacies and scams.

Now that I've cleared up the 'scam' you were accusing Storm of, can you clear up Eddie Wu's case? Or maybe, your own case?

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #805 of 858
I know what i was reading in the threads at the time.The only reason he would be friends now is that he got a new shiny dac FINALLY.

I am not saying ken is a bad guy,just there were some things to be causious about.

There were several if i remember that had some problems.The threads don't lie.

I see akwok is doing his Customer Relations very well for storm.

Well as much as this has been fun i have to go for now.I don't live on the forum

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #806 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Even if they did get refunded, it's still iffy in my books. He -tried- to scam, got caught red handed, and only then would he even think of a refund.

Let's be fair here. Eddie Wu is not an engineer. He has a shop that sells low-cost equipment to DIYers in Hong-Kong.
The Zhaolu DAC was originally a kit, if I'm not mistaken, and people posted many suggestions to "improve" it on a budget, not unlike many posts in this forum.
biggrin.gif
The clock upgrade is just another DIY kit, which became a popular mod because it's cheap (over there) and it "looks good"... I don't think it was a case of a conspiracy concocted in a dark alley by a "criminal mind"...
evil_smiley.gif

Let's all remember that Eddie is the person who sold these units at fair prices (equivalent to the going price in China) and did not jump on the opportunity (when the demand was high) to bump up prices.
I had a very brief interaction with Eddie myself and it was very positive. You don't need to go far in the forum to see that he's a man who stands behind his products. It's unfair to slime him despite the excellent track record and good service he's given people in recent times. He may not be perfect, but he doesn't deserve to be treated this way.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #807 of 858
Quote:

I know what i was reading in the threads at the time.The only reason he would be friends now is that he got a new shiny dac FINALLY.

I am not saying ken is a bad guy,just there were some things to be causious about.

There were several if i remember that had some problems.The threads don't lie.

I see akwok is doing his Customer Relations very well for storm.

Well as much as this has been fun i have to go for now.I don't live on the forum

I wouldn't trust your eyes too much.. since your mind doesn't seem to work too well either. Hell, if you don't believe me, PM aksolanki yourself. It's common knowledge, it seems you're the only one in the dark.

Several other people had the exact same issue? Oh man everyone, Roger knows some inside information that nobody knows, not even Ken himself. Ooooo!

What a nice coincidental time for you to leave, too -- right when I ask you for your connections with Eddie and his scam. Excellent timing. So I guess that's a yes?

You knew of Eddie's past history, yet you're still recommending him. Have you no conscience? How big a piece of the scam-pie did you get?

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #808 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Let's be fair here. Eddie Wu is not an engineer. He has a shop that sells low-cost equipment to DIYers in Hong-Kong.
The Zhaolu DAC was originally a kit, if I'm not mistaken, and people posted many suggestions to "improve" it on a budget, not unlike many posts in this forum.
biggrin.gif
The clock upgrade is just another DIY kit, which became a popular mod because it's cheap (over there) and it "looks good"... I don't think it was a case of a conspiracy concocted in a dark alley by a "criminal mind"...
evil_smiley.gif

Let's all remember that Eddie is the person who sold these units at fair prices (equivalent to the going price in China) and did not jump on the opportunity (when the demand was high) to bump up prices.
I had a very brief interaction with Eddie myself and it was very positive. You don't need to go far in the forum to see that he's a man who stands behind his products. It's unfair to slime him despite the excellent track record and good service he's given people in recent times. He may not be perfect, but he doesn't deserve to be treated this way.

Well. The interesting thing is, Lawrence never offered this mod.. while Eddie did. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lawrence was asked to do the clock mod, but he refused. Why did Eddie accept, then?

Something just seems extremely strange with RogerWilco's affiliation with Eddie. Something under the table, perhaps? It's great that Eddie offers great service, but who knows when he'll pull something like this again? And why weren't people refunded?

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #809 of 858
I kind of agree with Ori...I'm not sure Eddie deserves this much sliming over it. I don't appreciate Roger trying to downplay it like the cost was negligible, but maybe Ori's right that Eddie was not particularly knowledgeable about what the 'upgrade' was actually doing.

I do wonder about the refund thing, though.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #810 of 858
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I kind of agree with Ori...I'm not sure Eddie deserves this much sliming over it. I don't appreciate Roger trying to downplay it like the cost was negligible, but maybe Ori's right that Eddie was not particularly knowledgeable about what the 'upgrade' was actually doing.

I do wonder about the refund thing, though.

I agree. Intentional or not the proper thing to do would be at least offer a refund. Was a statement even made by Eddie about this matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back