Zero vs. Zhaolu D2.5A
Feb 13, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen that before. What does it do to the sound? I usually just think of transformers as changing the voltage<>current relationship.

For most common applications that is correct. In the coaxial input there is no serious impedance mismatch to employ a transformer but it helps in the sense that it couples only high frequency components but not DC between the transport and DAC. Transformers can be also designed as part of a tuned RF circuit and have other applications, although that is not the case with the OMZ.
You do find input transformers in pro-audio gear. It's also interesting to note that the Zhaolu D2.0 had a basic "pulse transformer" at the coaxial input.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For most common applications that is correct. In the coaxial input there is no serious impedance mismatch to employ a transformer but it helps in the sense that it couples only high frequency components but not DC between the transport and DAC. Transformers can be also designed as part of a tuned RF circuit and have other applications, although that is not the case with the OMZ.
You do find input transformers in pro-audio gear. It's also interesting to note that the Zhaolu D2.0 had a basic "pulse transformer" at the coaxial input.

Thanks for the explanation
smily_headphones1.gif
I hadn't thought about the lack of DC coupling, I can see how that would be helpful.
Sorry, one more question: Do you guys sell kits to perform the upgrade yourself or only pre-modded DACs? If possible I'd like to buy a D2.5 sooner and upgrade it down the line rather than waiting.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Do you guys sell kits to perform the upgrade yourself or only pre-modded DACs?

I don't sell kits. I can mod your D2.5A or supply a new unit.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was worth repeating
wink.gif

Because I own one?

I don't work for Ori though, so I don't PM people unsolicited advertising for the OMZ.

In your case though... well... we know who you're in bed with.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

D-Cee, it looks like you know quite a bit about the Oritek mod. Do you know why they put a toroidal transformer in series with the output rca jacks? That seems very strange
confused.gif

I believe the transformer sits at the coaxial input, not the analogue outputs

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it is due to mounting trannies at odd angles!
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I could not resist.
biggrin.gif

what can i say, i just love mounting trannies at funky angles!

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't work for Ori though, so I don't PM people unsolicited advertising for the OMZ.

At least you are honest enough to admit that Ori PM people about the OMZ. Just don't male it a personal issue Dave. I haven't been rounding on your business model or your personal reasons for pushing the Zhaolu and openly painting me as black. I know that the TC-7510 is getting up the nose of those who are not happy that is offering genuine improvements for such a ridiculously low price. I see no need why more people shouldn't know about it, and save themselves some money.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

At least you are honest enough to admit that Ori PM people about the OMZ

How would d-cee know?!
Her and You? Nah, let's play "you and I"...
Last year my total outgoing PM count was about 70-80. To be clear: total means total, everything, customers, quesries, everything. Out of all these, 3 did not contact me first but were asking about mods. One was asking about a product which I did not announce at the time and seemed like a perfect fit. I send 2-3 lines and if they wish they can ignore or say "no thanks" and that's the end of it.
I sent those privately rather than post about my products on the forums. I don't ask a buddy to do me a "favor" and I definitely don't hassle my customers to do my marketing. No bribes either.
Now, let's hear your story! Be honest...
eek.gif

BTW I don't have a clue if you are connected to Stanley/Beresford or not. If I were him, I'd ask you nicely to calm down. You're doing him no favor.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

At least you are honest enough to admit that Ori PM people about the OMZ. Just don't male it a personal issue Dave. I haven't been rounding on your business model or your personal reasons for pushing the Zhaolu and openly painting me as black. I know that the TC-7510 is getting up the nose of those who are not happy that is offering genuine improvements for such a ridiculously low price. I see no need why more people shouldn't know about it, and save themselves some money.

i don't know anything about Ori's business practices... if he PMs people that's his choice

as for my business model... well I don't have one seeing as I don't manage my own business

it's nothing personal. it's clear as day as seen in this thread that you're sending unsolicited private messages to people looking to buy DACs

maybe you should come clean and let us know your business model and what connection you have with beresford

Users who are viewing this thread

Back