Zero vs. Zhaolu D2.5A
Feb 10, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I was looking at these two DACs and they look pretty much identical. I was just wondering what the difference is between the two? It looks like they use the same DAC and OpAmps. The only difference I see is that the D2.5a has RCA inputs?

I'm leaning towards the D2.5a right now since Obad sells an upgraded OpAmp version that's only about $20 more shipped than the Zero. Of course that logic assumes the D2.5a and Zero were equals to begin with.
EDIT: Link to the upgraded D2.5a- Zhaolu D2.5a DAC & Headphone Amp

I really don't care about headphone amp differences since I'll be feeding the line-out to my little dot mkIII.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but after looking through 15 pages of search results and almost finding my answer in the ZERO review thread, I've come up with nothing
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 23
Also would like to here about this. I wanted to get an oritek modded 2.5a but was also thinking about just buying myself a zero or normal 2.5a and modding it myself to oritek quality is that cheaper and not hard to do ?

dg I also agree with you if you not looking to upgrade the dacs yourself the pre modded zhaolu looks like your best bet.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 23
strangedaze: someone sent me a PM recommending the Beresford DAC (Home HIFI). Yet another one to add to the mix
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking at pure specs, the D2.5A looks like it's better than the Zero simply because of the extra outputs (I'm guessing a fixed and variable instead of only a fixed?) and extra set of nicer opamps for $20. I'll probably still end up taking it apart anyways to upgrade anything else I can get my hands on
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: It looks like the Beresford would be better stock, but the D2.5A is the most upgradeable of the 3... I think?

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
modding it myself to oritek quality is that cheaper and not hard to do ?

well, unless you know how to design discrete output stages, probably not. the OMZ is a bit more than just replacing parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
strangedaze: someone sent me a PM recommending the Beresford DAC (Home HIFI). Yet another one to add to the mix
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking at pure specs, the D2.5A looks like it's better than the Zero simply because of the extra outputs (I'm guessing a fixed and variable instead of only a fixed?) and extra set of nicer opamps for $20. I'll probably still end up taking it apart anyways to upgrade anything else I can get my hands on
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: It looks like the Beresford would be better stock, but the D2.5A is the most upgradeable of the 3... I think?

oh really, the username of said user didn't start with an H and end with erandu did it? lolololol!!!

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh really, the username of said user didn't start with an H and end with erandu did it? lolololol!!!

Hmmm, it did. Judging by the fact you were able to guess that probably means I should take that recommendation with a bit of salt huh?

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Hmmm, it did. Judging by the fact you were able to guess that probably means I should take that recommendation with a bit of salt huh?

Yes, although the 7510 is probably quite good. Someone's promoting it is getting out of hand.

I'd probably report it to a forum moderator as well. Suspicious activity for sure...

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 23
D-cee thats so funny !!
biggrin.gif
, that same ... person has been coming to me and recommending that as well (pretty much out of the blue) Even when I'm talking about 350usd dac's that would be his top choice. Anyways not to get paranoid (they're watching !)
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 23
D-Cee, it looks like you know quite a bit about the Oritek mod. Do you know why they put a toroidal transformer in series with the output rca jacks? That seems very strange
confused.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

D-Cee, it looks like you know quite a bit about the Oritek mod.

That was worth repeating
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

D-Cee, it looks like you know quite a bit about the Oritek mod. Do you know why they put a toroidal transformer in series with the output rca jacks? That seems very strange
confused.gif

Perhaps it is due to mounting trannies at odd angles!
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I could not resist.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 23
Anyone ever played the Philips test discs SBC429 and SBC442 through one of these and then observed the waveform output on a scope? Try the frequencies below 6500Hz and above 10KHz. Take note of the 0dB gain variations as well.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 23
Herandu: Do you have any idea what components they're using in the Beresford. Their site doesn't list any of the components they use. I'm specifically interested in which DAC chip they use.

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1
why they put a toroidal transformer in series with the output rca jacks?

It's just an input transformer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was worth repeating
wink.gif

You're such an... oh, forget it.
D-Cee bought one of the first D2 units I modded and paid for each and every little thing I sent him. What exactly is your "problem"?

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're such an... oh, forget it.
D-Cee bought one of the first D2 units I modded and paid for each and every little thing I sent him. What exactly is your "problem"?

He needs attention!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never seen that before. What does it do to the sound? I usually just think of transformers as changing the voltage<>current relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back