Zero DAC vs. KECES 151
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DGNeo

100+ Head-Fier
I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two. Both have gotten very good reviews on here, and both are exactly in my price range.

The KECES has gotten very great reviews, but the only thing I'm worried about is how it can only do 16bit/44KHz. The Zero DAC can do up to 24/192 if I'm not mistaken.

There is also a ZERO DAC for sale with "HDAM, LT1364, and upgraded volume pot" which I've read should be quite an upgrade.

Does anyone have any input on these two? Or is there any other DACs that should be considering?

I'll be using SR80s on this with a Little Dot I+ Amp as well.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KECES has gotten very great reviews, but the only thing I'm worried about is how it can only do 16bit/44KHz. The Zero DAC can do up to 24/192 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not siding with one over the other, but are you sure that the Zero can do 24/192 through USB? If not, then the two are going to be equal in that regard. There are few DACs which can do higher than 16/44.1 via USB.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not siding with one over the other, but are you sure that the Zero can do 24/192 through USB? If not, then the two are going to be equal in that regard. There are few DACs which can do higher than 16/44.1 via USB.

No I know it can't do it over USB. I do have SPDIF available, but the only thing is I'm worried it might not be high quality enough (it's onboard SPDIF).

Even though it's onboard, do you think it would still sound better than the KECES?

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 5
You might find USB better than the onboard SPDIF inputs in your computer. I preferred USB over SPDIF on my laptop's onboard inputs. I haven't heard the Zero but the Keces DA-151mkII with the stock plugs and power chord sounded great to me. It has a very fat and refined sound which really brings out the details and texture in vocals and instruments.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 5
If your budget is $260, switch the Zero in your list to the Audio-gd Compass. It has the same overall sound, but is much higher quality and has more features. You might find the SQ of the inbuilt HP amp exceeds that of your LD 1+, going by other people's comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back