Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Apr 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #4,936 of 6,090

I know but from what I read it seemed like the Tenore had less bass than the Basso but it was still adequate for most people and the tenore did more things better. IT seemed like the Tenore was the better all around performer and the basso was really for mostly hip hop and EDM. As least thats what I gathered from what I saw. 

Spot on. The Tenore is better for most genres. The Bassos are slightly darker, with a boost in the mid-bass, leading to some weighty lows that do bleed a little into the midrange. Still, it's a fantastic IEM for what it does, just not the great all-rounder that the Tenores are.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #4,937 of 6,090

If you're a basshead, the basso's would definitely be up your alley.

Yeah...Ill have to give them a try. I think both can find a place in my rotation. 

Spot on. The Tenore is better for most genres. The Bassos are slightly darker, with a boost in the mid-bass, leading to some weighty lows that do bleed a little into the midrange. Still, it's a fantastic IEM for what it does, just not the great all-rounder that the Tenores are.

Which was exactly why I went with them.....

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #4,938 of 6,090
Vocals on the tenore, how would they compare to the hifiman re-400, UE 600, and rockit sound r-50??

Really looking to get some great vocal iems for under $100

out of all these selections, i've tried all of them except for r50. out of these options, i personally enjoy tenore the most and re400 is a very close second. i wouldn't consider the ue600 as it sounds a bit thin and unnatural in comparison. the re400 has more forward vocal presentation, which i really like, the reason i would picked the tenore over the re400 is because it sounds more lush, more sub-bass, it also sounds a bit diffused like the q701 which gave me an impression of a massive soundstage. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #4,939 of 6,090
  I think it's the lack of mid bass punch that gave you the impression of bass light. tbh i do think they lack a bit of mid bass. the Basso on the other hand has too much mid bass for 

I've got the same impressions too regarding the lack of mid-bass. There's this particular emptiness to the mid bass - lower mid region which makes things like deep male vocals and brass instruments sound less defined and impactful.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,940 of 6,090
  I think it's the lack of mid bass punch that gave you the impression of bass light. tbh i do think they lack a bit of mid bass. the Basso on the other hand has too much mid bass for me.

I've got the same impressions too regarding the lack of mid-bass. There's this particular emptiness to the mid bass - lower mid region which makes things like deep male vocals and brass instruments sound less defined and impactful.

I feel the same about their sound signature, but don't think it's due to an absolute lack of midbass, but rather due to its stronger subbass masking the weaker midbass.

Give this easy mod a try, it attenuates subbass in relation to midbass and there's a chance you might like the result:

FX850 "j444 mod"

So I've found an easy mod to attenuate the FX850's bass boost. The effect is comparable to adding a small front vent. As a result, the FX850's tonal balance becomes quite close to the K3003 with reference filters.

Step 1: Find some surplus tips made of thin silicone, e.g. Sony hybrid tips:

Step 2: Cut off a small stripe, about 1x7mm:

Step 3: This is the tricky part. Place the stripe alongside the nozzle, so that it protrudes about 1mm at the front end. Hold it carefully in place with your fingertip as you mount the silicone tip.

Step 4: Check the result - it should look like this from the outside.

Step 5: Check the result - it should look like this on the inside. Make sure that the stripe protrudes only a tiny bit at the edge of the nozzle, or else it will diffuse the sound.

Congrats, you've successfully completed the FX850 "j444 mod"!
smile_phones.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,941 of 6,090
I feel the same about their sound signature, but don't think it's due to an absolute lack of midbass, but rather due to its stronger subbass masking the weaker midbass.

Give this easy mod a try, it attenuates subbass in relation to midbass and there's a chance you might like the result:

Just tried the mod and it works well. The smoothness that filters out the details is gone and the lower mids becomes much more defined. But without the the sub bass, the sound becomes less dynamic and engaging. I guess you can't have it both ways.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #4,944 of 6,090

Tried it ..didnt do anything for me if anything it made the bass worse......

These things seal crazy good though so much so that I can feel a bit of vaccumm in my ears...so Im wondering of the vent holes are closed off with glue or something...

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #4,945 of 6,090
Tried it ..didnt do anything for me if anything it made the bass worse......

These things seal crazy good though so much so that I can feel a bit of vaccumm in my ears...so Im wondering of the vent holes are closed off with glue or something...

The vent is located behind the driver, so it doesn't have any effect on seal.

Though if you perform the mod correctly, there should be no more vacuum.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,946 of 6,090
The vent is located behind the driver, so it doesn't have any effect on seal.

Though if you perform the mod correctly, there should be no more vacuum.

There wasn't but still like I said it didn't seem to do much of anything. The vent makes sense but I still wonder if there is glue or something covering it....would I hurt anything sticking a pin in there? when you modded yours you said too opened = too much bass and closed off = bass light right?

As for the sealing I'm using to having to really jam my monorproce IEMs in my ears to get decent sound and to get them to stay in, even then they would work themselves out eventually and I could tell because they would start to sound like crap. Its One of the few reason I wanted something new. These Zeros don't need to go in far at all to get a good seal and I can wear then anywhere from deep to shallow and they always sound good. I was using the small tips becasue I could get them deep but I switched the the mediums. They don't have the vacuum feeling and I think they still sound fine. I thinking about trying some complys to see what they sound like.  

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4,947 of 6,090
  The vent makes sense but I still wonder if there is glue or something covering it....would I hurt anything sticking a pin in there? when you modded yours you said too opened = too much bass and closed off = bass light right?

Right, but unfortunately the outer vent has little to no influence on sound.

You'd need to mod the driver back vent inside to change them to bass heavy or bass light:

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #4,948 of 6,090
Folks, I have returned to using my Tenores of late because:
(a) winter is over and I don't have to wear an iem that is flush with my ears
(b) they have great isolation
(c) my ostry kc06 were giving me a rash
(d) i got a new phone that is bigger than my old phone and I don't want to carry around an additional bulky amp (to listen use my havi b3 pro)

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #4,949 of 6,090
  Folks, I have returned to using my Tenores of late because:
(a) winter is over and I don't have to wear an iem that is flush with my ears
(b) they have great isolation
(c) my ostry kc06 were giving me a rash
(d) i got a new phone that is bigger than my old phone and I don't want to carry around an additional bulky amp (to listen use my havi b3 pro)

@ebrian, How do you like them compared to your Havi B3 Pro and KC06? Especially the bass which one do you think has better bass B3 or Tenore? Thank you.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #4,950 of 6,090
  Anyone know which foam eartips work with the Tenore's?

Thanks ahead of time!

Andy

I don't think foams will be good with Tenore, because it will make the treble even less.  Is anyone out there using foam eartips with Tenore and loving them?

Is there a reason you want to use foam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back