Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,877 of 6,090
  All this Tenore hoarding is starting to make me think I should order a few more for safe keeping.  Was there any reliable source claiming that these are discontinued?

Yeah, I havent found any reliable sources and I cannot imagine a smaller company like ZA, not bringing the Tenore back if the demand is high enough.  Amazon.jp still has stock so I am unsure if the discontinued rumor is true. Usually, only 3rd party sellers would be selling something that is discontinued. Also, I added 50 of them from amazon.jp to my cart and it says still in stock. Makes me wonder.

May 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,878 of 6,090
May 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,879 of 6,090
When I say neutral, I mean flat frequency response.  Tenore has fuller bass than AX-30, RE-400, and A161P.  AX-30, RE-400, and A161P sound more flat and analytical.  They didn't have enough bass for me.

Tenore sounds bigger and more natural because of the slight bass boost over flat.

Shotgunshane's FR posting above shows the slight bass boost.

Thats what I meant too, the Tenore is more neutral. A161p and re400 have subbass below flat and ax30 a bit too much midbass in stock form. Tenore has proper bass because it's subbass oriented, you have to define what's flat and current research shows some subbass boost is more flat.

May 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,880 of 6,090
Thats what I meant too, the Tenore is more neutral. A161p and re400 have subbass below flat and ax30 a bit too much midbass in stock form. Tenore has proper bass because it's subbass oriented, you have to define what's flat and current research shows some subbass boost is more flat.

So we're hearing them the same.  I had no idea that A161p and RE-400 have subbass below flat.

Joker's review of RE-400 said "there is a slight mid-bass lift audible with the newer model. This gives its bass a little more weight and depth and tilts the overall tone slightly in the “warm” direction compared to the RE-ZERO, RE272, and Etymotic ER-4S. This is not necessarily good or bad—those who want a ruler-flat bass will likely still prefer the 272, but it will allow the RE-400 to cater to a wider audience, which is a definitely plus in my book."   "I would still classify the RE-400 as a neutral earphone with just a hint of warmth."  

That's why I said that Tenore has bass slightly above neutral, since they have fuller bass than RE-400, which is already considered slightly warm.

I find A161p,  and RE-400 to be boring due to the lack of added bass (or below neutral subbass)?  Since AX-30 has too much midbass, that also makes the bass to appear to be neutral (or below neutral).  I find the bass to be boring due to it being more analytical than musical.

Tenore is my favorite IEM, so those of you on the fence should definitely give them a try!

May 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,881 of 6,090
So we're hearing them the same.  I had no idea that A161p and RE-400 have subbass below flat.

Joker's review of RE-400 said "there is a slight mid-bass lift audible with the newer model. This gives its bass a little more weight and depth and tilts the overall tone slightly in the “warm” direction compared to the RE-ZERO, RE272, and Etymotic ER-4S. This is not necessarily good or bad—those who want a ruler-flat bass will likely still prefer the 272, but it will allow the RE-400 to cater to a wider audience, which is a definitely plus in my book."   "I would still classify the RE-400 as a neutral earphone with just a hint of warmth."  

That's why I said that Tenore has bass slightly above neutral, since they have fuller bass than RE-400, which is already considered slightly warm.

I find A161p,  and RE-400 to be boring due to the lack of added bass (or below neutral subbass)?  Since AX-30 has too much midbass, that also makes the bass to appear to be neutral (or below neutral).  I find the bass to be boring due to it being more analytical than musical.

Tenore is my favorite IEM, so those of you on the fence should definitely give them a try!

That's the thing, the Tenore isn't warmer than the RE400 because it's a cleaner bass despite having more quantity due to subbass focus. RE272 isn't reference bass either, it lacks even more subbass than RE400 from flat, though midbass is flatter than RE400

May 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,883 of 6,090
...just ordered a pair based on the enthusiasm displayed for pairing these with the X5...need something with a little isolation for a conference coming up.

May 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,884 of 6,090
Well, the hype you guys are putting up has got me too.
cool.gif

I ordered a pair...but I ain't getting rid of my Ostrys.

May 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,885 of 6,090
May 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,886 of 6,090
I'm finding that the key for me is getting a good seal of a certain depth. I find I put the medium tips in my ears at a slight upward angle and push them in JUST enough to make a full seal. I can just barely feel the edges of the silicon from the back of the tips sticking out of my ears.

Here is an example of what my fit looks like. I'm guessing most people might wear them deeper, but I find that this is perfect and gets the response I always talk about. If I push them in deeper the sound is o.k., but it gets overly warm and bassy the deeper they get. Which is pretty cool if you like bass and want to do that, but the response that you see in that comparative graph that was posted... I'm getting that response with this fit. They also seem perfectly designed for this fit, as the cable and notch fall perfectly where the ear lobe ends... Even a little deeper is fine to where the edge lines up with my ear, but that's a small difference. Any more and the sound degrades...

I've boosted the heck out of the brightness to show you the edge of the tips:

May 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,887 of 6,090
Those aren't big enough. You need some manly sized IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back