Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,976 of 6,090
  If you were me and you were looking for a solid IEM that wouldn't start failing after a year...would you still get the Basso's or not? Are there some reoccurring problems with the basso's that I should be worried about? I'm really just making sure I know everything before I buy something, and clearly you guys have some experience I know you wouldn't mind passing around for somebody who is slightly tight on money at the moment..

I'd rather spend $100 now than spend $50 on basso's and then $100 again on another IEM if the basso's fail..

Also what is this TTS acronym that everybody is using

You can do a thread search; it stands for typical Tenore syndrome. Basically it's referring to the channel imbalances, with one cutting out/getting lower in volume. Zero Audio isn't known for the greatest build around here, so probably not them... Like Grayson said, Piston is probably a good bassy option/alternative to the Basso. Gratitude should be solid as well; though I remember reading about a few comfortability/fit issues here and there.

I would recommend getting two iems for under $110 or whatever you budget is. I recommend getting one pair of these in whatever color you want: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE3590BL-10-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B007TRUTHQ/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=07FSQT6HNJKE2CD8QFGX
For the price you can't really be disappointed! Also, mine have lasted me a long time and are very durable for the cheap build quality of $10. I like them so much as a cheapo, I have two pairs. And they have bass!

And then the Xiaomi Piston 2.0 around $25-30 or Monster Gratitude or Yamaha EPH-100 $100 might be a good primary option. Hope this helps! 

Quote:
Here, allow me to help this young chap MANGO. Buy nothing, run away now, chain your wallet to your body, watch your six, never fall in love, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Stay frosty, rescue crew is on its way... SOON™

TTS=Time To Sad-face

Ugh, I need a break, maybe it's time for some anime.

Lol

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #3,977 of 6,090
I go to sleep with this playing on my GR07 BE. Can you imagine my dreams. :grimacing:
http://m.soundcloud.com/beatsantique

Jk'ing, I don't much have dreams anymore. Sucks cuz they used to be every day, vivid, and I could control what I wanted to happen(like flying) when I realized I was dreaming. If only I had fallen for Nekomimi when I could still do this.... cursed world!

Great job G'man!

You need to re-aquaint yourself with some Silent Lucidity my friend!

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,978 of 6,090
Day 2 of the experiment: there is still no sign of TTS after another hour of listening at the gym. Cotton hasn't come lose from the barrel, even though there is nothing holding it in place. Sound continues to be normal and surprisingly good. There's definitely a little magic left in these Tenores.

Could we have solved the infamous TTS?

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,979 of 6,090
Day 2 of the experiment: there is still no sign of TTS after another hour of listening at the gym. Cotton hasn't come lose from the barrel, even though there is nothing holding it in place. Sound continues to be normal and surprisingly good. There's definitely a little magic left in these Tenores.

Could we have solved the infamous TTS?

Fwiw, I have always been wearing them down, and both pairs got TTS. I found that wearing them down gave me a better seal and sound, but I will now try to only wear them over the ears and see if that helps eradicate the TTS. Thanks.

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,982 of 6,090
  At this point I'm willing to pay 2 or 3x the price of the Tenores if it means getting something that is better built and has the same sort of sound and comfort/fit

Have you been following the Altone200's? $145 (includes shipping)....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-318-iems-compared-impressions-of-dn-2000-altone200-fidue-a83-added-p-945/14160#post_10751424

"The Altone200 from T-Peos is the most reasonably-priced triple-driver hybrid on the market, and definitely a bargain for the performance offered. With clarity and detail resolution on par with the $1300 K3003, the Altone200 is going to be a reference point for future generations of triple-driver hybrids."

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,984 of 6,090
Jul 31, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #3,985 of 6,090
So, I've looked through about 60-70 pages of this thread. I've also typed "carbo tenore comply tips" and looked through all reasonable links. My question, is if anyone can tell me of a comparison between the meelec m6 bi-flanged and some comply tips that fit the tenore. I'm an amateur, but I've heard comply's are very comfortable and do usually are the "to-go" to improve bass. Also, I don't know which comply I should get if so. http://www.complyfoam.com/categories/Brand/ME-Electronics/M%252d6/

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #3,986 of 6,090
Comply tips are really expensive and you might not like em at all. Best way to ascertain this is to buy some cheapo earplugs from your drug store, chop em down to size and stick em in your ears. If you can take the feeling of expanding foam in your ears, then by all means, spring for a set of complys

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,990 of 6,090
So from my brief searching, is it safe to claim that the Sony MH1, even though having a different sound signature, is close or on par with the Tenores?

I'd say it's definitely on par sound-wise.

After eq'ing the bass down. The mh1 stock sub bass is monstrously huge. A single eq point at about 60hz takes care of it.

I also think the treble in the Tenore is smoother than the mh1 but it's a relatively small difference.

And it must be mentioned: the mh1 has the worst cable ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back