Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,691 of 6,090
  I'll say it's all theory and wild guesses ...

You're right, and that's why I said YMMV.

Though to me, it's the first time I seem to get a rough idea of what might be causing the Tenore's peculiar behavior with highly dynamic music. I've tried to illustrate it in this post, and noticed it again during this comparison.

Feel free to call that nonsense or expectation bias, I don't mind. It's just in my nature to try getting to the bottom of what I'm hearing, and I'm no expert. I might be wrong, no doubt... just putting my thoughts out there. Then again, I don't think that putting a dynamic driver behind a metal plate with such a small opening is necessarily a good idea. But as I said, YMMV.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,692 of 6,090
It is an interesting dampening(?) scheme at the least.

Anyone want to try cutting a can down shallow, drilling a small hole, appropriately proportioned to a driver size (say 1" hole to a 6" driver, and "attaching it" in front of full range speaker and subjectively noting the change?

I lack the tools and speakers :xf_eek:

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #3,693 of 6,090
Well, till you show me a decay spectrum graph that shows otherwise i will stick to my opinion about decay. As for distortion, this specific pair has a very obvious shell resonance issue.

Even then, we might be swimming in darkness no? Maybe multiple pairs from multiple vendors?

Excellent! Everyone send your pair(s) to Purrin! When he comes back with all 200 graphs, we will have our answer :3

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #3,696 of 6,090
:blink:

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,697 of 6,090
  Well, that holey metal plate proved really useful...
evil_smiley.gif

Lots of glue inside, and what looks like a small piece of foam. At this point, the cable is still intact and the driver in working condition.

Looking forward to your impressions.  
popcorn.gif
 That screw looks like it would make the high a little forward, and that opening some drop in the bass.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3,699 of 6,090
  Well, that holey metal plate proved really useful...
evil_smiley.gif

Lots of glue inside, and what looks like a small piece of foam. At this point, the cable is still intact and the driver in working condition.

Is the foam piece glued to cable before the wires connections (solders) ?

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,700 of 6,090

Is the foam piece glued to cable before the wires connections (solders) ?

Can't tell for sure, since this small gap is the most I can open them up without breaking the wires. And that's pretty much as far as I dare to go today.

Tomorrow I'll try to loosen the cable sheath at the strain relief, which will hopefully allow me to open them up completely, without having to resolder the cable. (The ugly truth is that I suck at soldering.)

All I can say for today is that it's pretty easy to open these up, even for an all-thumbs like me. All you need is a small screw and two pairs of pliers. Recablers, rejoice!
smile_phones.gif

(Edit: maybe you don't even need the screw, though grabbing them at the nozzle seems a little more risky to me.)

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,701 of 6,090

Can't tell for sure, since this small gap is the most I can open them up without breaking the wires. And that's pretty much as far as I dare to go today.

Tomorrow I'll try to loosen the cable sheath at the strain relief, which will hopefully allow me to open them up completely, without having to resolder the cable. (The ugly truth is that I suck at soldering.)

All I can say for today is that it's pretty easy to open these up, even for an all-thumbs like me. All you need is a small screw and two pairs of pliers. Recablers, rejoice!
smile_phones.gif

(Edit: maybe you don't even need the screw, though grabbing them at the nozzle seems a little more risky to me.)

Rejoice indeed. Now i have to order a Piston for the hands free cable and i am set. Thanks James!

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,702 of 6,090
Interesting, I do know for a fact that the foam behind the driver is there to reduce bass. Add more foam and I guarantee the bass is reduced even more. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,705 of 6,090
Yup, less volume in the back=less bass
less volume in the front=less treble

Rin demostrated this in his 9927 and MH1 mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back