Zen Vision:M, what's the story?
Dec 27, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #31 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Finally, no one here has actually seen the two together in real life. Even if the screen is better, I doubt anyone is going to use the 262K vs 64K as the only factor in choosing one over the other.

i have seen these 2 in real life.
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, the singapore govt is pretty strict about false advertising. they even require sllimming ads to have "these slimming methods have not being scientifically proven" disclaimers. in the usa, a class action suit would probably ensue if the screen is not 262k as stated.

anyway, there are cases where a 262k screen is used, but only 65k is effective. a good example is the o2 Atom pocket pc phone. it has a 262k capable screen but only displays 65k colors. some figured it to be a limitation of windows mobile5, while others think this is done to save battery life.

the thicker size would probably be to accomodate the mic and radio.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #33 of 97
God, don't get the Zen its so huge!

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #35 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
God, don't get the Zen its so huge!

why worry about size? First of all it's not huge. It's the same size, give or take, as last years iPod, which you guys were all bragging about as the smallest size, and wouldn't take anything larger. Second, a lot of us are going to take this small, sleek device and slap it onto a portable amp, or maybe even an amp and a dac, and stuff it into a shoulder slung bag. Tell me where that extra 2 mm thickness maters in this scenario?

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by mister__big
You're obviously not very well-informed with regards to technology. There have been examples where hardware companies PURPOSELY disable, or "nerf" their own hardware. One instance is when nVidia and ATi made graphics cards that came with 128MB installed but with 64MB physically disabled. "OMG!!! nVidia and ATi is stoopid!!! Why put in 128MB when they're going to only use 64MB!!!" you say.

I'm not saying Creative nerfed their own player in any way, just pointing out that insulting someone else when YOU'RE the clueless one makes you seem like the fool instead.

You're obviously at least as ignorant then. The cards you talk about were 64mb cards that had a 128mb chip on it because it was cheaper to buy 3463466 128mb chips than 235325 128mb chips and 34344 64mb chips. The same thing is common with CPUs, a 2gig CPU might actually be a clocked down 2.4 gig CPU. Again, economics.
Things are different here though, the screen is a selling point for Creative, thus they would NOT nerf it. Just suggesting that is beyond ridiculous.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #38 of 97
Em... I am don't quite recall any company disabling extra memory.

They may disable some pixel processing unit. Maybe cut a couple of pipes (which you can re-attach with some soldering). It is a considerable difference from "disabling" 64MB of graphic memory.

Or perhaps I missed a great deal somewhere
wink.gif

Anyway, back on topic... I am mainly interested in how they sound amped.
I am going to Asia in January. HK first, then either Singapore or Japan. But I'll probably wait for the impressions first.

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #39 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
why worry about size? First of all it's not huge. It's the same size, give or take, as last years iPod, which you guys were all bragging about as the smallest size, and wouldn't take anything larger. Second, a lot of us are going to take this small, sleek device and slap it onto a portable amp, or maybe even an amp and a dac, and stuff it into a shoulder slung bag. Tell me where that extra 2 mm thickness maters in this scenario?

That was a sarcastic comment, I forget those type of comments come across differently to Americans.

30GBs is of no use to me, if Creative do a 2nd gen 80GB version I might be swayed. Lol, I own a fat 40GB Touch, its obvious I'm not bothered with size!

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #40 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenwallet
Melik, i was wondering if that av-out port can be used as audio line-out? Or is it also affected by the volume controls?

ehm, sorry i forgot to mention that i don't own a ZMV, i got these pic's from a member on dapreview called ''noox''...

so i don't know...

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #41 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i have seen these 2 in real life.
smily_headphones1.gif

So have I. Certainly better than the iPod, and also pitted it against a GretagMacbeth calibrated S-IPS LCD monitor. The Vision:M's LCD is a touch warmer and more saturated, but only in direct comparison. On its own you can't really tell.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 97
here you can see the oversaturated vision:m and the undersaturated ipod (with the original in the center)
compare.jpg

the ipod looks darker because its not as bright as the vision:m and they were takin in the same picture. you can also see the oversaturation in the waterfall picture. i've said it before, oversaturation != more or better colors.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #43 of 97
But this goes agaisnt what you've been saying: oversaturation /= using only 64K colors.

Does the Zen use a transflective LCD, or one where the backlight must be on to see anything. If the latter, then I'd say the iPod wins hands down because non-transflective LCDs suck for use in sunlight and it sucks that you have to press a button just to see what's on the screen.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
here you can see the oversaturated vision:m and the undersaturated ipod (with the original in the center)
compare.jpg

the ipod looks darker because its not as bright as the vision:m and they were takin in the same picture. you can also see the oversaturation in the waterfall picture. i've said it before, oversaturation != more or better colors.

the creatives screen can be changed for saturation and brightness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back