Zen Vision M Creative's newest player!
Dec 7, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
Did Creative copy the iPod video (if they did, it's rather egregious) or did they already have the design made but Apple beat them to store shelves? Like always, Creative is always a few months (or years) behind. That button sticking out looks like it wants to be punched in, it's an eyesore. At least it has a wired remote that won't come out of its ass like the iPod.

I agree on the button look, I think its pretty nice looking aside from that. I think the green is pretty rad actually, and if the price is low enough I may grab one eventually.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 86
zen_vs_ipod.jpg

mn_zenm03.jpg

iPod Copyyy...

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

• 2.5-inch, 320x240 pixel color screen (18-bit)
• 30gb hard drive
• Plays MPEG2, MPEG4 SP (Divx, Xvid), WMV9 videos
• Plays MP3, WMA, and WMA DRM audio
• Displays JPEG images up to 8 megapixels in size
• Capability to zoom in on pictures
• FM radio, radio recording
• To do list, calander, contacts list
• 3 colors available (black, white, green)
• Battery good for 11 hours music, 4 hours video
• MSRP 39,800 Yen ($ 329 USD)
• Size: 62 × 104 × 19mm, weight: 166g
• Available for sale in late December (Japan only)

Looks like a complete ipod ripoff if you ask me, i would possibly consider it at a lower cost, all it has going for it is the slightly longer video life, and FM. That GUI is completly apple GUI, i dont like the direction Creative is turning..

But why is that available only in Japan while Creative is a Singaporean company?

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 86
I too can't believe that creative would offer a product thats more or less just like the ipod that costs more. Why wouldn't I just buy an Ipod?I love creative and have owned 3 creative DAPs, but i just can't get over thier newer line of players. Give me a break.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I too can't believe that creative would offer a product thats more or less just like the ipod that costs more. Why wouldn't I just buy an Ipod?I love creative and have owned 3 creative DAPs, but i just can't get over thier newer line of players. Give me a break.

Because the price will go down pretty quickly, Creatives just sound better, it has longer video battery life, and FM radio.

To me, Creative needed to come out with a video mp3 player, just to catch up with the other companies. I agree Creative has too many different mp3 players out there, but none of them have video capabilities. Now that they have one that lasts longer than the Ipod at the same screen size, Creative is much closer to getting it right this time. It's not a surprise they came out with a video mp3 player; it was to be expected.

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 86
I guess Apple has imprinted ppl with certain image of an mp3 player called, erm, universally "ipod" for all mp3 players, these days.. So if anyone wants to compete they have to build on this image but, nevertheless, offer more. And that's exactly what Zen Vision M seems to be...
It does not look original, but hey, it's not The Annual Original Design Competition, they want to earn money. And I am sure they will, because this new Zen:

-supports more video formats and does support the most popular of them
-has better quality display (4 x more colours then display at the same resolution)
-has better battery life for video and similar for audio
-has onboard FM radio
-has built in Mic
-works seemlessly with WMP
-does not require i-Tunes BUT will work with i-Tunes as just any player
-comes in more colors then an iPod (I guess there will be more than just these 3..)

Now, cons:
-it is tad thicker
-it does not support loseless
-iPod look like.
-pricey

These are the main points I found. Pros/Cons list can be surely extended but already this overview shows Creative took bull by the horns, eventually.
Both Zen M ipod and iPod ipod look good, are very compact and sleek (as for 30GB) but Zen M has better features, battery life and comes in more colors.

OT: Competition is a good thing: Imagine iPod 113 OG and Zen Pico 3D+ Vision X in 2024. Cannot wait to see them
icon10.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluman
But why is that available only in Japan while Creative is a Singaporean company?

It's only in Japan by end of December. Many companies roll out a test somewhere else before introducing the product universally or even at home.

Zen Vision:M Colours:
America: White, black, green, blue, pink
Europe: White, black
Asia: White, black, green

You can see a few real world images here. Nice that they used a Pixar film to show picture quality.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back