Zen and the art of anti-bacterial soap
Jun 9, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 50
if i kill a roach am i gonna go to hell or come back as a roach for punishment?

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
if i kill a roach am i gonna go to hell or come back as a roach for punishment?

No, I believe karma dictates that you be killed by roaches in this or some other lifetime.
eek.gif

Don't worry about it. It's only one life. You go through those "roach" lives much faster than you're going to go through this one (and with a lot less self-awareness). Why do you think there are so many of them? It's all those people in previous lives who killed roaches.

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
No, I believe karma dictates that you be killed by roaches in this or some other lifetime.
eek.gif

Don't worry about it. It's only one life. You go through those "roach" lives much faster than you're going to go through this one (and with a lot less self-awareness). Why do you think there are so many of them? It's all those people in previous lives who killed roaches.

Well, great...now i feel much better...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Certainly acts of stupidity have to count against you at some level.

i just thought what he said was funny. heh.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by grancasa
Nezer,
First off, using anti-bacterial soap is probably doing more harm than good, not just for you but for all creatures. According to the chairman of the American Medical Association council on scientific affairs, "There is no evidence that they do any good and there is reason to suspect that they could contribute to a problem by helpling to create antibiotic-resistant bacteria." So your anti-bacterial soap is making me more sick. Sounds like bad karma to me......

FWIW: Plain NON-anti-bacterial soap kills 90+% of the bactia that the anti-bacterial soaps do (measured by volume, not type). So does vinager (almost as good as bleach). (source: college biology, lab)

Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
...Buddhism comes in many forms and I have even heard of christian buddhists. Buddhism is almost a borderline religion/philosophy.

There is a belief that enlightenment comes thorugh meditiation and reflection on the self.

I can see how many would consider themselves christian-buddhists. So does buddhism "proper" acknowledge a god or otherwise supreame/ultimate being? (and just so we're upfront, I'm a Jesus Freak with no desire to be otherwise, but a sincere desire to understand my fellow man
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
(and just so we're upfront, I'm a Jesus Freak

You do NOT want to talk to carlo on mIRC then.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #25 of 50
In the strictest sense only, though. I wouldn't call someone who believes in Buddhist spirituality atheist, even though they don't belive in a Judeo-Islamo-Christian-type god. It's definitely a religion and all that entails.

kerelybonto

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 50
Websters, 1987:

religion : n. belief in supernatural power which governs the universe; recognitician of God as object of worship

So what I've never been able to figure out from a professing buddhist (its your belief I want to know about) is: "is there some ULIMATE "life" form, being, what-have-you, that is beyond everything and is responsible for existance? Is it existance thats worthy of all your attention or that which is responcible for existance?

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #27 of 50
Ahhh, yes... The 'God' question...

Now, I don't want nor do I mean to piss anyone off here but you asked...

I do believe in a 'god'. I believe that our soul is a piece of god and god is best defined as the collection of all souls. In our natural form we are bodyless and our soul is one with all so in a way we are all god. Now, that last point is what could piss someone off and perhaps it's better to say that we are each a *piece* of god.

One way to think about this is imagine that 'god' was water on this planet. A river is made of water and so is a lake as is the ocean and as are clouds and the rain that falls from them. Using this analogy I feel my soul is like the piece of water vapor in the cloud that will eventually fall to the ground and find it's way back to the ocean only to repeat this process over and over and over again.

My body would simply be the vessel that contains that water. Maybe I'm a cup, maybe I'm a riverbed or maybe I'm just the air that suspends the water molecule in the sky.

So simply put god, in my view, is a collection of *everything* that is, was and will be all at the same time. Our souls have no understanding of time so my view of karma is kinda warped. I believe that my *next* life could also be your *past* life. What I do feel is when I come back the whole of my self is not the same. Just like that water drop falls back into the ocean only to be re-evaporated the next drop that falls isn't the same as the one before it and yet they are all the same (****, I was trying to stay away from sounding to zen).

Now that's my personal view. It's kind of hard to describe with words and ultimatly that's the goal... To know god not with words but with the ego, or self, or mind, or soul or whatever you want to call what makes us us.

I also feel that each of us was meant to walk a different path but the truth is singular and universal. For me that path seems to be buddhism, for my brother it's Jesus. What I can say is that the true path lies within and one should listen to the mind and walk it as best he/she can.

To believe in god one has to only accept that miracles exist. And to see a miracle take a look in a mirror. Life is an amazing thing and, IMHO, life in and of itself proves there is something more thatn we can touch or see or measure. Becase I view life as a miracle I also view it as very sacred. Unfortuantly the wold isn't so black and white and while it's easy to say 'thou shalt not kill' in reality you may find yourself in a position where you have no choice in the matter or, even worse, where its the 'right' thing to do.

To a buddhist, reaching enlignetment is very similar to the concept of heaven. Enlightenment is to become one with everything which is to become one with god. When that happens the true self sees that there is no need for the body or the physical.

Enough of my rants... I sure as hell don't have any answers only a lot of questions that can never be answered by our constricted little insignificant bodys and brains.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #29 of 50
So no God Creator person but the sum of existance is itself the "supreme being" - am I following you?

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Well Said.
cool.gif

Ditto, that made perfect sense to me. It also comes pretty close to how I feel about life. I have always had a problem with the heaven and hell concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back