Zen and the art of anti-bacterial soap
Jun 11, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 50
Nezer is closest to my religion. The only real difference is that I also believe that if you don't have faith in something you were told as a child that you're going to hell, that it's your duty to force everyone else to believe the same, and that anyone who doesn't believe the same as you is going to hell. No wait, that's someone else. That's not me at all.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
So no God Creator person but the sum of existance is itself the "supreme being" - am I following you?

yeah, basically... There gets to be this really complex thing about who/what created the physical that I haven't really got to yet. Basically it goes that the self created existance to justify being. This is really the ultimate basis of attachment which is the root of all suffering. Once we get past that attachment we have no need for the physical and we go back to our normal stave of just simply being.

Those intrested in Buddhism should check this link out:

http://buddhism.koolhost.com/buddha.htm

It talks about the 4 nobel truths which are the foundation of buddhism and has a link to the eightfold path (the path to overcome attachment and thus, suffering).

Buddhism is kind of a neat religion but looking at it fromt he outside there are two problems...

It's *really* egocentric. I mean, Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe that God created the universe just for humanity (a pretty egocentric view no doubt). Buddhism takes that to an extreme, it says that *WE* created the universe for our own selfish reasons. At least this view gives some personal responsibility.

The other problem is to accept Buddha's teachings you have to accept that life is suffering. It's pretty depressing on the surface. But when youreally truly think about it, love leads to loss leads to suffering... Attachement to the body leads to birth leads to sickness leads to death. I think this is where the concept of reincarnation comes in; it's so depressing on the surface that if it weren't for karma and reincarnation you would be tempted to just put a bullet in your head going "HA! I beat the system!"

Outside of these two issues, which I have no problems with but understand how someone could, I have problems with organized religion. For this reason I haven't gone and found a teacher yet. I firmly believe that when a group of humans, who are ALL imperfect, get together it leads to power which leads to corruption. It's not just religion either, it's ANY organization... A corporation, school, etc... Humans work best in small groups with minimal guidance.

Jun 11, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Buddhism is kind of a neat religion but looking at it fromt he outside there are two problems... The other problem is to accept Buddha's teachings you have to accept that life is suffering. It's pretty depressing on the surface. But when youreally truly think about it, love leads to loss leads to suffering... Attachement to the body leads to birth leads to sickness leads to death. I think this is where the concept of reincarnation comes in; it's so depressing on the surface that if it weren't for karma and reincarnation you would be tempted to just put a bullet in your head going "HA! I beat the system!"....

I'll skip the points we disagree on and just stick to a point we do. Jesus teaches that this life is suffering and that to gain your life, you must loose it.

I'll stop with that and not make any more comments pertaining to religion to this thread as I'd rather not start a Jihad among Head-Fi'ers
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for answering the question Nezer.

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

I'll skip the points we disagree on and just stick to a point we do. Jesus teaches that this life is suffering and that to gain your life, you must loose it.

I'll stop with that and not make any more comments pertaining to religion to this thread as I'd rather not start a Jihad among Head-Fi'ers
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for answering the question Nezer.

So far this thread is much more calm than the "Go Canes" or the "Bushisms" threads. Intresting seeing how religion should be more inflamatory than politics and sports.

I come from a Christian family and I've just never really been able to *get* it before. I tend to overthink things (really). There are problems I have with Christianity, Islam, etc... Some things just don't make sense to me.

When I stumbled into Buddhism (ok, I was hit upside the head with it) things just 'clicked' and made sense to me for the first time ever.

The book that really did me in was "Siddartha" by Herman Hess. I *HIGHLY* recommend the read for anyone. It's not really a religious story as much as it's a story of one man's life. It's a fairly short book and I blew through it in like a day.

Also, there was a movie called "Little Buddha" I think not-too-long ago that had some inbtresting lessons in it.

I've said for a long time that truth is wherever you look for it. For some that truth comes from the Bible, others the Koran, and others from the mind. Regardless, I think we can *all* agree that the 'path' transcends books, words and teachings and comes from within ones self. Books, words and teachings are just ways to convey a lesson within some context. This is why so much Zen writing makes very little sense on the surface... You have to look beyond the words and look into the meaning.

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 50
Sports and politics are definitely more inflamatory than religion. Especially sports -- you don't see people throwing batteries at those poor Christian Scientists, do you?

Nezer, check out The Religion of Being by Don Cupitt. It's not Buddhist, but it's much of the same ideas from a more Western perspective. It's kind of Buddhism without the structure, I guess ... much more of philosophy than religion.

You might also want to read some stuff by Meister Eckhart, if you can find it in English translation. He was a Christian mystic writing quite a while ago (forget which century exactly) who came up with very Buddhist-like ideas about religion. I think he was made to renounce his views, but they're still discussed today. ...

kerelybonto

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

So far this thread is much more calm than the "Go Canes" or the "Bushisms" threads. Intresting seeing how religion should be more inflamatory than politics and sports.

I come from a Christian family and I've just never really been able to *get* it before. I tend to overthink things (really). There are problems I have with Christianity, Islam, etc... Some things just don't make sense to me.

Well I think that most of us consider each other friends and don't want to rock the boat. Thats why I stay off the IRC channel as its to easy to spout out a flame or two. I haven't even bothered looking at the Bushism thread beyond the first few posts as I figured it would turn into WWIII.

Funny, thats almost the same story as me except I can't NOT accept it even when I don't understand it because Jesus Freak is the only path that I can make the pieces fit. I'm and IF - THEN - ELSE logic kind of guy and a skeptic of everything and everyone. (FWIW: I'd be Jewish if not a Jesus Freak)

Welp, we still friends? (sorry if I hijacked your thread, but at least I have better idea of where your comming from)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 50
What?? You didn't hijack the thread... this is exactly why I started it.

Of course we're still friends as I maybe you in another life. :wink:

When you say "because Jesus Freak is the only path that I can make the pieces fit." that's what I think it's important each and everyone of us do. Find a path to walk that we feel makes all the pieces of this huge puzzle fit.

If we walk through this life and show compassion and have respect for others how can we go wrong?

I always thought it was stupid when people fight over *beliefs*. Beliefs are kind of personal and it's OK to share but it crosses the line when you try to shove that belief down someone elses throat. That kind of thing causes all sorts of problems for the person doing the shoving! Just ask al Quaeda that!!

Any belief worth dying for is worthy, any belief worth killing for is stupid.

I may not agree with the KKK but I'm not about to go out killing them to shut them all up. They have as much right to thier belief as I do to mine (that they are idiots). I would die for thier right to feel what they choose but I would never kill for it--not even a fly.

Quote:

Well I think that most of us consider each other friends and don't want to rock the boat. Thats why I stay off the IRC channel as its to easy to spout out a flame or two. I haven't even bothered looking at the Bushism thread beyond the first few posts as I figured it would turn into WWIII.

Funny, thats almost the same story as me except I can't NOT accept it even when I don't understand it because Jesus Freak is the only path that I can make the pieces fit. I'm and IF - THEN - ELSE logic kind of guy and a skeptic of everything and everyone. (FWIW: I'd be Jewish if not a Jesus Freak)

Welp, we still friends? (sorry if I hijacked your thread, but at least I have better idea of where your comming from)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Sports and politics are definitely more inflamatory than religion. Especially sports -- you don't see people throwing batteries at those poor Christian Scientists, do you?

No, but I see people slamming planes into buildings in the name of 'god'.

Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Nezer, check out The Religion of Being by Don Cupitt. It's not Buddhist, but it's much of the same ideas from a more Western perspective. It's kind of Buddhism without the structure, I guess ... much more of philosophy than religion.

You might also want to read some stuff by Meister Eckhart, if you can find it in English translation. He was a Christian mystic writing quite a while ago (forget which century exactly) who came up with very Buddhist-like ideas about religion. I think he was made to renounce his views, but they're still discussed today. ...

kerelybonto

Sounds intresting, I'll check it out!

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Any belief worth dying for is worthy, any belief worth killing for is stupid.

Quote:

No, but I see people slamming planes into buildings in the name of 'god'.

Unfortunately, most of the ones doing the flying were sad, depressed young men who were told that there was no hope and that there lives were miserable because it was someone elses fault. But its just as sad is that they lived here for several months and didn't see enough to conveince them otherwise.

Funny how you hear "Leaders" calling for "Holy War", but you don't see them giving THEIR lives for "the cause".

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #41 of 50
From a Python film.[Life of Brian]

shouts to crowd "YOU ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
single person replys....
"I AM NOT"

Hehe

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
From a Python film.[Life of Brian]

shouts to crowd "YOU ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
single person replys....
"I AM NOT"

Hehe

Setmenu
biggrin.gif

I *LOVE* that movie...

"Blessed are the cheesemakers??"

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Anti-bacterial soap is a scam.

P.S. the Buddha ate meat.

P.P.S. So do I

Hell, the animal is already dead and I didn't kill it nor was it kileld specifically for me... Seems a waste to *not* eat it. Of course if I don't something else usually does.

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Whatever mod gave me that title...

Didn't see whether or not this question was answered, and I'm sure you know by now, but Jude is the only one who is able to bestow the custom titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back