Zen 2.0 discontinued?
Dec 13, 2003 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a good souce at a reasonable price to buy another Zen 2.0 as a gift. It seems like the supply of 2.0's have dried up for a reasonable price. The last few I bought from J&R for $200 shipped. I was planning on getting another and transfering my existing Playcenter 3 library to it. I would go for the Xtra but it is not compatable with Playcenter 3 which would make transfering 2500 tracks with accurate ID tags to a new gift player much much more time consuming. I really didnt want to buy a used one or pay $280 when the 40GB Xtra is available for $250 but that might be the only alternative since I really want to include my library with the gift player.

Any ideas? Is the Zen 2.0 discontinued?

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

I really want to include my library with the gift player

You plan to include your music library loaded onto a player you are giving as a gift? Not cool, imo. And illegal (not my opinion). I hate when I hear of this kind of practice.

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

have you ever made a tape recording for anyone?

Back in the day (I'm old
wink.gif
), when I was much younger (teens) and foolish, I may have on occassion made cassette tape copies (remember this was way before PC's & mp3), and given them to others (not really very often).

After growing older, understanding & respecting the law - admittedly fueled much by my involvement in IT & software development - I regret even those innocuous musical transgressions. I would never do that again, never mind making copies of my entire musical library
rolleyes.gif
. I tend to give original CD's to friends that express their desire, or if I just think they would enjoy them. It's a good excuse to get new copies, and/or upgrade to hybrid SACDs. And no, I am not rich by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 22
Sorry for continuing to take this thread off course, but I have to agree with jpelg regarding including your library with the player as a gift. I realize you didn't ask for our opinion nor do you need our approval, but just reading about what you intend to do gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

I don't mean to pretend I'm "holier than thou" as I do have a few albums on my HD player that someone else gave me. Ultimately I'll probably buy the CD of albums I decide to keep and delete the rest, but I'm certainly not unsullied in this regard.

But an entire HD player's worth of music? And in the form of a gift? I just doesn't seem right
frown.gif
. Kind of like stealing a bunch of CDs from the local music store, wrapping them up and putting them under the Christmas tree.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
You plan to include your music library loaded onto a player you are giving as a gift? Not cool, imo. And illegal (not my opinion). I hate when I hear of this kind of practice.

I don't think he asked for your opinion. Who cares if you don't approve.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by waffenschmidt
Sorry for continuing to take this thread off course, but I have to agree with jpelg regarding including your library with the player as a gift. I realize you didn't ask for our opinion nor do you need our approval, but just reading about what you intend to do gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

I don't mean to pretend I'm "holier than thou" as I do have a few albums on my HD player that someone else gave me. Ultimately I'll probably buy the CD of albums I decide to keep and delete the rest, but I'm certainly not unsullied in this regard.

But an entire HD player's worth of music? And in the form of a gift? I just doesn't seem right
frown.gif
. Kind of like stealing a bunch of CDs from the local music store, wrapping them up and putting them under the Christmas tree.

he didn't ask for your approval either. you don't like it, then you don't do it. easy solution, huh.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by stevesolo
Any ideas? Is the Zen 2.0 discontinued?

yeah, sorry to say, it was discontinued when the NX came out. The only real advantage of the Zen original is the in-line remote port.

By the way, as long as all your mp3's are tagged you can just as easily add them to another Creative player using their new MediaCenter program.

Nice gift, by the way. I'd love to get a player full of music. I share my collection with friends and family every chance I get.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg

You are absolutly right, I really overlooked that issue and was more focused on wanting to leave my "music legacy" to a few family members since I am in the last stages of cancer. If you follow your line of thinking, technically I guess its illegal to rip and transfer your CD collection to your own MP3 player

Jpelg- I notice in your profile that you have a Archos Jbr-20 MP3 player that I assume you transfer music to. Is that not the same issue?

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
I don't think he asked for your opinion. Who cares if you don't approve.

It's a real issue. Oddly, some people do want to stay within the law, even some who disapprove of that law. Nobody asked for your opinion either, or mine, yet here we are.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 22
I acknowledge my own ethical lapses and the fact that it really isn't any of my business.

What I do think is important is to consider the recipient of the gift. Personally, I'd love to get a new HD player as a gift, but I'd be uncomfortable if it came filled with music. I suppose there are some who wouldn't.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

You are absolutly right, I really overlooked that issue and was more focused on wanting to leave my "music legacy" to a few family members since I am in the last stages of cancer. If you follow your line of thinking, technically I guess its illegal to rip and transfer your CD collection to your own MP3 player

It is perfectly legal to rip your own CD's to MP3 and put it on as many players as you want.

If you feel the need to be perfectly legal, just load a music player with your MP3's and "loan" it to the person you are thinking of. If ownership is not transferred, there is no problem with them using the player as long as you want.

Sorry to hear about your cancer by the way. There is always hope. The last thing you want to be worrying about is copyright laws. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. If it will make you happy to share your music, then do it.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
It's a real issue. Oddly, some people do want to stay within the law, even some who disapprove of that law. Nobody asked for your opinion either, or mine, yet here we are.

lol.. point taken.

Dec 13, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. It's got to be hard (I was a cancer patient many years ago, but luckily mine was curable and I've been clean the past twenty years).

It's legal to rip CD's to your own player for your own use (although some would argue even that). So, one way to transfer your music would be to simply give the original CD's with the MP3-loaded player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back