Zeitner and Klaus Kobec watches.
Aug 10, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #31 of 81
bump for more watch ****.
cool.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #32 of 81
What do you guys know about d.freemont watches? They only sell direct, but they have (what seems like) a great price on a C.O.S.C. certified model called the Mt. Palomar.

-d.freemont watches

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #33 of 81
I need to get a web server up and running so I can post some real pictures. Audio, bikes and watches.

df has been around for a few years and they seem to make decent enough watches. The 2824 is considered the be the tank movement of the ETA line. Big and durable.

My only complaint is the shape of the crown on the Palomar. Could it get any more sissy?

At least it isn't as goofy as the "onion domes" on Chronoswiss watches. Beautiful and technically interesting watches but for the love of God, those crowns are sinfully ugly.

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #34 of 81
Chronoswiss crowns? Like the one on this otherwise nice piece:
timemasterzoom.jpg

Such a shame, I guess it makes it distinctive.

I was browsing TimeZone reviews and found this article My Descent Into Hell - The Mind of a Watch Addict. It reads like a head-fi addict's post, except with timepieces.
600smile.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #35 of 81
Here's my current watch (Bulova Marine Star Men's Strap):

90B51_lg.jpg

I usually get one every 5-7 years, at about $150ish a pop (can't imagine spending more on a watch). Generally prefer leather bands over metal, though there have been some exceptions. Can't call that a hobby, though I love to shop around for 'em. ^_^

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #36 of 81
If I wanted a doorknob on my watch then I'd just go to Home Depot.
wink.gif

The only difference is that even used, the watches Ludwig has been through are CRAPLOADS of money.

Makes the Orpheus look cheap in comparison.

A big difference with watches is that you CAN justify having several because they are not really different from a piece of clothing.

I won't wear my IWC going to a symphony. I'll wear my JLC Reserve de Marche or my Blancpain 2185 in a pinch (I have the crocodile strap to replace the rubber one for just such an occasion).

Fashion is important since it is an accessory after all. If a woman can justify having 2 dozen pairs of shoes or 10 purses then I've got all the justification for having a dozen watches (which I have but 3-4 is probably the most one can really justify).

Aug 11, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #37 of 81
I had a helluva hard time deciding between the IWC Mark XV and the Fliegerchronograph. And this is what I am wearing right now ...
biggrin.gif

3706_005.jpg

At first sight, I don't like the bracelet that much but i am a sweaty person so a bracelet is a must for me. Now I think the IWC bracelet is really well made and fits very good on my wrist. Anyway, I think I am going to get the Mark XV, before they replace it with the uber-ugly new spitfire collection.
frown.gif

Quote:

It’s too bad that some of my favorite watches are 40mm in size and over. I have a narrow wrist and mid-size cases (like about 37mm) sit best on me.

It doesn't matter that much, I have a small wrist as well. I had once consider the 40mm Panerai as well. Just need some time to get used to.

contemp_2_eng.jpg

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 81
Yep, the Fliegerchronograph is a nice watch. I wish that they didn't use a 7750 in that thing. It's far too thick in my opinion.

I should know, I own one of those as well. If it weren't impossibly thick then I would have gotten the Doppelchronograph instead.

I much prefer the thinner Piguet 1185 in my Blancpain 2185. So much better proportioned.

Yup, I do a lot of collecting: audio, bicycles, watches and fountain pens. Audio is the most fun because there are very few things in life better than music.

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #41 of 81
Tone: You should check out my Blancpain on the first page (it's that JPG link). It's very similar to the Frederique Constant but the date window is in the perfect location on the Blancpain. (It better be for 8,000 freaking dollars.)

I still remember a couple years back when I went to the watch show at Fox's in downtown Seattle. They had the one of a kind Roger Dubuis "Million Dollar Watch". It was incredible and it really fit well on the wrist.
eek.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #42 of 81
Hey Wilson M.

I can't believe that you got to try on a million dollar watch! you must have had multiple guns pointed at you when you tried that thing on.

the Blancpain that you like looks really similar to the Frederique Constant but its a heck of alot more expensive! F.C. also makes the exact same watch with a white face as well.

the F.C. watch is an automatic with a see thru case on the backside so you can view the internals. its just a gorgeous watch. maybe i'll buy it when i turn 40 (after selling a kidney first)!

Aug 11, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #43 of 81
It was a watch show and there was a lot of security but people got to try it on. It isn't often that people can even be in the same room as those kinds of watches. That's the thing about Seattle. It's impossible to know if some guy wearing a t-shirt and jeans can't just pay cash for a million dollar watch.

Of course, I did try on a friend's custom made watch a few years ago and it was incredible too. I can't say how much but it was more than the Roger Dubuis (ouch).

Umm... I don't just like the Blancpain. It's generally the watch I wear everyday.

Aug 11, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #44 of 81
0T33.1.488.51B.jpg

That's mine.

I think my Father's Breitling is the Aeromarine Avenger Seawolf - it's got the yellow dial anyway. His old gold Omega Constellation...can't find a picture of that. Unfortunatley the gold band broke, and hence he bought the Seawolf...but both are very fine watches, and broken band aside the Omega is still ticking.

Aug 11, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #45 of 81
I'm not into the Breitling look. Their stuff is nice and solid, but they look to busy for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back