Zeitner and Klaus Kobec watches.
Aug 5, 2003 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

bootman

King o'Ping
I looked through the old watch threads and I didn't find anything about this UK watch maker.

They seem to have very attractive prices and some good looking watches.

Any UK head-fiers have any experience with them?

This one caught my eye.

couturesportsteel.jpg

The Klaus Kobec Couture Sports Steel.

Is this a good buy at $180 US?
confused.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 81
Beware. I received something like that (a Krug Baumen Adventurer) as a gift a few years ago. I think marketed by the same people and it was pretty, but junk. Quit running in less than 6 months and was not repairable.
This was it:
adventurer.jpg

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 81
Want something that catches the eye?
How about this?
sn_goldintro_pic1.jpg

aceonbluemap.jpg

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 81
Quote:

Pick up a copy of WatchTime and you'll see something to slobber over. The only thing worse than the audio hobby is the watch hobby.

Ain't that the truth!

One of my current favs:
32905000.jpg

Only trouble is, it runs about 5 seconds slow a month.

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 81
Watch hobby? I didn't know that there was such a thing... But I can totally understand it. Everytime I pass a display case with watches I'm drawn to it like a magnet. Right now I'm happy with my couple of Skagens, but I could definitely see how it could become an obsession!
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 81
I'll be upgrading my wrist wear when I get some more cash.

I'll only buy manuals or automatics because I like the idea of the intricate springs and gears compared to a quartz.

Aug 8, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 81
Yep, mechanical watches are very cool.

Having a tiny machine made out of hundreds of tiny parts sitting on one's wrist and able to keep time is quite something.

Even better are complicated watches. Ones with stopwatches, perpetual calendars (accurate for several hundred years), mechanical alarms, moonphase, repeaters (chimes out the time when a button is pushed), sonneries (rings like a grandfather clock), multiple time zones, small displays to mark what time sunrise and sunset will occur at your location, etc, etc.

My absolute favourite is one where there is a diagram of the night sky on the back of the watch (with another crystal so essentially a double-faced watch). That night sky moves in sync with the perpetual calendar (on the front side) and will display the night sky as you would view it at your geographic position.

My second favourite is a watch where you push a button on the watch and a little hand spins around a wheel and stops. That wheel being a roulette wheel.
wink.gif

And for the morally deficient, there are watches with erotic automatons (double-faced watch again) where at a push of a button, a small scene is animated (usually by a separate power supply that can be wound up).

After all, men never really grow up. They just change their toys.

Aug 8, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 81
Love watches. Have four different ones, two dress, one HRM, and one that I wear daily. I've got several Timex Expeditions with the velcro band. The Submariner I got way back in the mid eighties. The other dress watch is a Seiko Kinetic (no pic) which is several years old. Both dress watches were purchased in Singapore. I actually collect alarm clocks though.

timex.jpg
polar.jpg

seiko.jpg
rolex.jpg

edit: added the Polar Accurex NV and Seiko Kinetic

Aug 8, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 81
What about this little beauty?!?

345224-l.jpg

Aug 8, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 81
Nice but I've never been a fan of UN's styling.

Functionally, I like the GMT +/- Perpetual but the placement of the various windows seems almost random or at least, poorly placed. I guess that it wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't gone with a subsecond dial at 9 o'clock.

The Blue Max, Freak and new Sonata are just plain ugly.

I consider Oechslin to be one of the true geniuses of the watch world but someone needs to teach him and Schnyder something about STYLE.

Aug 9, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 81
My watch is interesting, not because of its looks (although I like them) but because it's a 'self-winding quartz': no batteries, quartz mechanism and accuracy. It's a Wenger Autoquartz.

Here's a pic:
pASHFORD-642702dt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back