Zana Deux vs Singlepower
Oct 19, 2006 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for the battle type of title. I don't really mean this to be a which is better thread, but I've heard so many good things about the Zana Deux amp. Singlepower (PPX) was the track I was heading down, but really want to hear some impressions of those who have owned or just heard both. And what headphones work well with the Zana Deux.

BTW, what is the price of the Zana Deux? Is it available?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 121
I have owned a SP PPX3 SLAM, and currently own a MPX3 SLAM. I have also heard the Zana.

They are all three excellent amps, but all three are voiced differently. Of the three I prefer the MPX. I have said before that the Zana is one of two other amps that could tempt me to move away from the SP marquee. In the end the lure of the Zana Deux wasn't enough to make me take that move.

I feel that the SP line offers some advantages that the ZD can't match. One is the sheer number of tube rolling possibilities and the variety sounds you can achieve with the SP amps, the MPX in particular. This can be a real advantage if you listen to a wide variety of music, and or, use a number of different headphones. Another factor, some may not have considered, is the size and support group you get from the "SinglePower Family" of users. It is hard to put a value on this, but I can tell you, you can get any help, or questions you need answered, regarding SP issues from < headfi's > large contingent of users. This can be a real bonus.

Those are my thoughts on two outstanding competitors and why I chose to go with the SinglePower Brand. . . . . . In the end only you can decide which sound you prefer. Try and give both a listen.

- augustwest

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 121
Thanks augustwest - What is the retail of the Zana?

ssingh0 - That's good to know. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 121
The adversary confrontation begins and I hold you personally responsible.
tongue.gif

It’s not fair to pit one amp, namely the ZD against team SinglePower.
plainface.gif

Yet more specifically to your question, I’ve heard the ZD and a balanced PPX3 w/ 5687. But before I go further, the next batch of ZDs is going to run (breathe, are you sitting)-- $1990 (and I don’t believe that includes tubes). It’s possible that the chassis might change. I’ve seen a “new” front faceplate and it looks very cool and Craig described other cool changes to the chassis, but I believe at this point nothing is in stone.

I ain’t going to lie I like the Eddie Current sound signature mainly because and IMO it’s the closest recreation of live music. I liked the ZD better than the PPX3 balanced. Don’t get me wrong the PPX3 is a nice amp with lots of raw power and energy, but the ZD is refined and focused while not letting you forget that it’s got a tight reign on the power and dynamics. The ZDs soundstage is vast and probably the largest I’ve heard even when compared against balanced amps. The ZD just does so many things right and retains the organic musical flow, which is mightily impressive. And as much as I like the slam of the 5687 it doesn’t have the same level of musical tonality as other tubes I’ve heard that my ear clearly prefers. As with any audio component, the system synergy, your tastes, your ear’s preferences and the type of music you listen to all play a role.

As with all the amps Craig designs there’s a similar sound signature. I believe the Zana Deux is one of the finest sounding amps I've heard and my EC2A3 comes close, but the Zana is better. And after comparing the MPX3 w/ NOS 6SN7 against the EC2A3 w/ stock new production tubes I selected the EC2A3 because it sounded better to my ear.

I think the MPX3 is a good amp and Mikhail provides options to personalize the sound. Yet as with all the MPX3s I've heard I’ve found a few very minor issues to my ear even with the "best" NOS tubes such as slightly slower delivery, chamber like sound, not as detailed (veiled) and less separation. The top tier Eddie Currents such as the Zana Deux are superior sounding to my ear, though your ear, tastes, and set-up might mesh better with the PPX3/MPX3. If possible the best thing you could do is listen to both amps before you make a decision. And meets aren't the best place to do so. Another factor for me is EC uses good parts off the bat and doesn't makes you pay for the upgrade, which adds up very fast ordering SP options. I seriously doubt even the best MPX3 would sound as good as the Zana, but that’s my preference, ear, set-up, and listening experience talking. Compared to a totally built-up MPX3 the Zana would probably be less expensive and to my ear (subjective/objective) sound superior.

It is always best to listen and make the decision with your ears.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 121
"Thanks augustwest - What is the retail of the Zana?"

I think the Zana is around $1600, but you should call them for an exact price. I've noticed, from what I've read, that their price seems to fluctuate some.

- augustwest

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"Thanks augustwest - What is the retail of the Zana?"

I think the Zana is around $1600, but you should call them for an exact price. I've noticed, from what I've read, that their price seems to fluctuate some.

- augustwest

That was a special introductory offer price only for the first run.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
the next batch of ZDs is going to run (breathe, are you sitting)-- $1990 (and I don’t believe that includes tubes). It’s possible that the chassis might change.

But the chassis changes aren't set in stone.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 121
It is impossible to state the price of the production Zana Deux because Craig has only made 1 prototype and 5 initial bespoke models. Those initial models were at an lower price ($1600) than he can/should sell the production models for, and I think it may be higher than the price 909 mentioned ($1900) once all is said and done. To my mind, it would still be a good price because the Zana Deux is an incredible amp, and it is in a weight class above the PPX3 and "standard" MPX3.

It's too bad you didn't spend more time with both the ZD and the HD-30 prototype on Saturday, Rob, because I think the HD-30 is going to be more in line with a PPX3 SLAM or "standard" MPX3 on pricing. The HD-30 prototype was also a very fine sounding amp, and had a very similar sound signature to the Zana Deux without that last measure of refinement and control.

I love my maxxed MPX3 and think that Augustwest is correct in saying -- as others have before -- that part of the beauty of SP amps is their flexibility and versatility in the sound. Mine can sound very different with a change of tubes because the overall design is so transparent and clean. Mikhail is also sending me some adapters and tubes so that I can finally hear mine with some higher power gain and/or output tubes that it is capable of driving. Partly the Zana Deux experience and partly listening briefly to PFKMan's and Yellfella's upgraded MPX3s with such tubes made me want to hear my amp this way. I will be sure to post some thoughts on it one of these days.

All that said, I agree with the other posters that you really need to hear these amps for yourself to make a judgmentcall on what sounds best. There are no absolutes in audio because we all hear things differently. Take yellafella up on his apparent offer, and contact granadomostasa about the ZD I am sure he would love to show off (assuming he has the right tubes for it).

Peace.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 121
I was torn between the two for a long while.... actually the fact that the eddie current amps retain their price better than the single power MPX and PPX drove much of my decision. after the meet in LA i could have gone for either... but at 1600 dollars, it would have cost me around 2200+ to match it's input/output features and sound quality with a single power. Although, the singlepowers do offer more tube rolling, the ZD is also a very good pre-amp.
Yellafella, can we compare when my tube arrives?

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 121
yellafella321 - yeah, I had them last weekend to compare but totally neglected to do an A/B. It wasn't until I read all the impressions from everyone at the meet that I realized that I missed a great opportunity since I hadn't really read too much about Eddie's stuff beforehand.

This caused me to question whether the Zana might be a better direction instead of upgrading down the SP route. But since the price is up there, and reading 909's very informative post (thanks
cool.gif
), I may just sit back, read up, and then eventual compare them.

Right now I'm still shuffling my phones. I like all of them but need to figure something out, because I could use some headphone money to upgrade to a better amp, or to upgrade the PPX.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa

Of course lol, but it will probably have to wait until next weekend or a little later, i have a midterm in about 4 hours, then another two next thursday.

Also, i'd like to get a few more gain tubes to roll a bit. After listening to the 6350 tube in the gain position, there is definitely much that can still be done! I've never heard texture or air like that out of ANY headphone before.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa

X2 - I'll be a fly on the wall
smily_headphones1.gif
if you allow me.

I am pretty busy for the next couple of weeks too, but let me know...

Thanks for all the info everyone - good stuff! What's the ETA on the HD-30?

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
The adversary confrontation begins and I hold you personally responsible.
tongue.gif

It’s not fair to pit one amp, namely the ZD against team SinglePower.
plainface.gif

Yet more specifically to your question, I’ve heard the ZD and a balanced PPX3 w/ 5687. But before I go further, the next batch of ZDs is going to run (breathe, are you sitting)-- $1990 (and I don’t believe that includes tubes). It’s possible that the chassis might change. I’ve seen a “new” front faceplate and it looks very cool and Craig described other cool changes to the chassis, but I believe at this point nothing is in stone.

I ain’t going to lie I like the Eddie Current sound signature mainly because and IMO it’s the closest recreation of live music I’ve heard. I liked the ZD better than the PPX3 balanced. Don’t get me wrong the PPX3 is a nice amp with lots of raw power and energy, but the ZD is refined and focused while not letting you forget that it’s got a tight reign on the power and dynamics. The ZDs sound soundstage is vast and probably the largest I’ve heard even when compared against balanced amps. The ZD just does so many things right and retains the organic musical flow, which is mightily impressive. And as much as I like the slam of the 5687 it doesn’t have the same level of musical tonality as other tubes I’ve heard that my ear clear prefers. As with anything audio component, the system synergy, your tastes, your ear’s preferences and the type of music you listen to all play a role.

As with all the amps Craig designs there’s a similar sound signature. I believe the Zana Deux is one of the finest sounding amps I've heard and my EC2A3 come close, but the Zana is better. And after comparing the MPX3 w/ NOS 6SN7 against the EC2A3 w/ stock new production tubes I selected the EC2A3 because it sounded better to my ear.

I think the MPX3 is a good amp and Mikhail's provides options to personalize the sound. Yet as with all the MPX3s I've heard I’ve found a few very minor issues to my ear even with the "best" NOS tubes such as slightly slower delivery, chamber like sound, not as detailed (veiled) and less separation. The top tier Eddie Currents such as the Zana Deux are superior sounding to my ear, though your ear, tastes, and set-up might mesh better with the PPX3/MPX3. If possible the best thing you could do is listen to both amps before you make a decision. And meets aren't the best place to do so. Another factor for me is EC uses good parts off the bat and doesn't makes you pay for the upgrade, which adds up very fast ordering SP options. I seriously doubt even the best MPX3 would sound as good as the Zana, but that’s my preference, ear, set-up, and listening experience talking. Compared to a totally built-up MPX3 the Zana would probably be less expensive and to my ear (subjective/objective) sound superior.

It is always best to listen and make the decision with your ears.

I have heard the original Zana three times minimum; maybe four. To be fair, my take is that I think you need to compare apples to apples. When you use low power output tubes like the 6sn7 in the MPX3 you are inherently going to get a warmer, slower sound with less bass control and slam. The MPX-6sn7 is about tone, detail retrival and soundstaging not speed and brute force bass.

When you use a high power tube for the outputs of the MPX3 like a 6bl7gta .... the whole comparison is drastically altered. The 6bl7gta at high voltage/ high bias has, as much, if not more power output than the Zana. Per Craig .... the Zana Deux does not operate the 6C33C-B anywhere near its max rated power. In fact only about 8 watts on the plate (x2). Even with the heater current figured in the total heat from the tube, most of which is dissapated in the air, is about 43 watts. Thats 16 watts dissipation on the plate per side with the Zana. The 6bl7gta's in my SLAM SE runs at 8-10 watts dissipation on the plate x2 for 18 or so watts dissipation per tube, depending on the current bias. The power output is essentially equal or slightly in favor of the MPX3 SLAM SE.

Now they still dont sound the same because to me the 6bl7gta is a more refined sounding tube .... the 6c33 can sound a little rough at the top and to bright with a headphone like the K701; to my ears. But the MPX3 with high power output tubes, in general, now has the speed, drive, dynamics and soundstaging that go toe to toe with the Zana .... or anything else for that matter. Contrary to you 909, for musicality, I think the SLAM SE is definitely smoother in the treble and more musical vs the Zana. Beyond that, my Supra high voltage amp is faster and more potent than the SLAM SE or the Zana with the same refinement of the SLAM SE.

When I was at the last Cinci, Ohio meet a member had a PPX3 with a plitron transformer upgrade that used the 6bx7gt output tubes at high voltage. I preferred this amp to any of the other amps at the meet by a wide margin. The dynamics were special and the amp had an exceedingly full tone without sounding the least bit slow. The treble quality was AGAIN definitely on the side of this SP amp to my ears. For price, this PPX3 can be had for $1300 or so and .... to be honest, I was pretty shocked what you can do with even the PPX3 circuit. This PPX3 was stock except for the upgraded transformer to handle the heater current draw of the 6bx7gt tubes. You dont need any upgrades to make the PPX3 or MPX3 good .... and when you stay closer to stock these amps are a bargain price-wise.

909, I do have disagree with your assessment of the 5687 tubes. Depending on what you are driving the 5687's with .... and Singlepowers can use several gain tubes (12 at last count) .... the sound can be fast and explosive or extremely refined. You just have to play with the amp some and hearing a PPX3 balanced at a meet gives you an impression of one out of possibly 100 or more potential tube sets. So many people hear a version of the SP amps at meets and assume thats how they sound. Well thats only true for that tube set and particular configuration. You can tuberoll this amp to sound lush and warm to almost solid state like .... but without the SS artifacts. My biggest reservation with the Zana is ..... can that roughness I hear in the treble be tuberolled out if you have to use 6c33's only .... as there is no substitute.

I do certainly agree with you to listen that people should listen to both amps for as long as you can. I didnt hear the treble issues with the Zana the first couple times I heard the amp as I was apparently so enamored with the amps bass.
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif
Anyway, these amps are at such a high quality level that personal preferance is going to be the biggest factor in the final choice.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 121
sacd_lover: were you not the one who convinced me of the ZD?

honestly, given how the GS1000 sounds... i could imagine the grado-eddie current combination as horrifyingly bad.

i have to think about how to set my rig up to do an A/B between the two amps without having to use an RCA splitter or the ZD as the pre-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back