Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #1,473 of 1,501
Sorry chap. You're not qualified to make an armchair diagnosis on this.

Maybe this is similar to an issue you've heard about? Could be. But your achilles heel is clearly your inexperience and lack of internal self control.
He made a suggestion of what might be at fault. What's with the ad hominem response to someone who goes out of their way to help and advise in the community?

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #1,474 of 1,501
I should receive my fixed HM1 tomorrow. Haven't been told what the issue was yet, but I guess it was not a complicated one, as they just took one day to fix it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #1,475 of 1,501
My HM1 is back to home. Didn’t have time to listen to it yet but could verify that the relay is clicking again, thus all should be fine.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #1,476 of 1,501
My HM1 is back to home. Didn’t have time to listen to it yet but could verify that the relay is clicking again, thus all should be fine.
Any chance you could ask what the issue was? Curious whether it was what I was thinking or not

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #1,477 of 1,501
Any chance you could ask what the issue was? Curious whether it was what I was thinking or not
I asked, I was told that Michael is going to contact me directly to tell me what it was.
They received it last Monday and they shipped it back the day after, thus that must not have been something overly complicated.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #1,478 of 1,501
Alright, here's the answer

The comparator for the switch-off on channel A was faulty and produced a wrong logic signal. Very clear fault, so easy to find and repair. All connectors were fine. A very rare mistake.

Was something else then. :)

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,479 of 1,501
Alright, here's the answer

The comparator for the switch-off on channel A was faulty and produced a wrong logic signal. Very clear fault, so easy to find and repair. All connectors were fine.

Was something else then. :)
Good to see it was fixed quickly!

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #1,480 of 1,501
Great support I must say. I was provided a new package for secure shipping (I didn’t have mine anymore) and everything went fast and smoothly.

May 5, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #1,481 of 1,501
Hi guys... I'm seriously considering this unit right now... so much so that plan to fly from Thailand to Singapore to listen to a demo unit soon.

Can anyone give me some idea how this amp pairs with Utopia 2022 and ZMF's Verite Closed / Atrium Open? I much prefer warmer sound, and my concern is that, with this amp, my headphones may sound a bit clinical.

Lastly, I'm I correct that HM1 allows me to adjust the output level of its XLR out (planning to use it as a pre-amp)? This is required as my Tube amplifier (driving the Susvara) was built with very high gain (4X KT120 in push&pull), so I had to lower the pre-gain of my V281 to the lowest, otherwise, I will hear background noise through my Susvara. I'm sure HM1 is in different league comparing with the V281 but unsure whether I will have the same noise (from gain) problem with my power amplifier if the pre-gain output cannot be adjusted.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #1,482 of 1,501
Hi guys... I'm seriously considering this unit right now... so much so that plan to fly from Thailand to Singapore to listen to a demo unit soon.

Can anyone give me some idea how this amp pairs with Utopia 2022 and ZMF's Verite Closed / Atrium Open? I much prefer warmer sound, and my concern is that, with this amp, my headphones may sound a bit clinical.

Lastly, I'm I correct that HM1 allows me to adjust the output level of its XLR out (planning to use it as a pre-amp)?

Thanks!

I use the HM1 with my Utopia 2022 everyday (during my morning cup of coffee). it's a great pairing, one of the best I've had with Utopia. it's one combo I have where I can really just enjoy the music and not worry about the components.

if u are not eq adverse, the updated oratory eq for U22 takes it to the next level. then just adjust with HM1 tone controls to your liking. go for it!

May 5, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #1,483 of 1,501
I use the HM1 with my Utopia 2022 everyday (during my morning cup of coffee). it's a great pairing, one of the best I've had with Utopia. it's one combo I have where I can really just enjoy the music and not worry about the components.

if u are not eq adverse, the updated oratory eq for U22 takes it to the next level. then just adjust with HM1 tone controls to your liking. go for it!
That's very reassuring mate! So with the U2022 HM1 fits even better than the Ferrum stack?

Will PM you about EQ. I tried but somehow my U2022 sounded terrible after the EQ. There must be something wrong.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #1,484 of 1,501
That's very reassuring mate! So with the U2022 HM1 fits even better than the Ferrum stack?

Will PM you about EQ. I tried but somehow my U2022 sounded terrible after the EQ. There must be something wrong.
I don't have the Utopia, but have been considering one for years. My only concern is that it will not be on the same technical level as other flagships i've had, and I would end up just using the Expanse over it. That said, I've had the Ferrum stack with Susvara, D8K Pro Le, Stealth, Expanse. Hm1 is on another level. Synergy? it's just extremely transparent, but you can warm things up a bit with the class A toggle. I prefer it in A+ servo though.

May 5, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #1,485 of 1,501

I'd be curious as to how it compares to the Immanis, and how well the HM1 would drive the Immanis. I'm considering one, but not sure it would have enough power to bring the best out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back