Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #932 of 1,480
I think you can't go wrong either way :)

By the way, question for the current HM1 owners: Anyone use custom fuses for the amp? Not sure if it's worth looking into or not
Don't bother with custom fuses

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #934 of 1,480
That's what I figured - some people were touting Synergistic Research fuses in their amps and I was pretty skeptical to say the least about fuses in general.
I've used SR and Audio Magic Fuses in my HM1 and they both absolutely, unequivocally make an improvement in audio quality. Not as much as in perhaps other amps, though. IMO fuses are one of the, if not, the biggest bang for buck audio tweak that exists.

Some will tell you not to use them, but my sense is they are really thinking towards potential warranty issues, and/or have never tried. I personally would not go back to stock fuses, whatever someone else thinks are best practices, or what is good enough, but that's me.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #936 of 1,480
does anyone know if HM1 runs hotter (operating temperature) or similar to Headamp GSX mini?
Not as hot.

The gsx mini runs VERY hot compared to most amps including other class A options

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #937 of 1,480
Anyone else crank the crossfeed all the way on old tunes they’ve listened to a million times? I find it refreshing to hear some of the songs from my youth sound different. I’ve never liked any crossfeed implementation to date but this is the best I’ve heard. Obviously haven’t heard all.
IMG_2899.jpeg

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #938 of 1,480
Anyone else crank the crossfeed all the way on old tunes they’ve listened to a million times? I find it refreshing to hear some of the songs from my youth sound different. I’ve never liked any crossfeed implementation to date but this is the best I’ve heard. Obviously haven’t heard all.
IMG_2899.jpeg
How do you like your HM1 to the Bliss?

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #939 of 1,480
Jury is still out. The Bliss is brand new. I know for sure the Ferrum stack is going away.

Bliss is a touch warmer and if I wasn’t a tinkerer, I’d probably save the $4k. The Bliss is very punchy more so than the HM1.

I’m still getting used to each of the signatures but as good as these amps are, I think my preference is for tubes but I want a SS amp in the stable. So one of these is staying.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #940 of 1,480
IMG_2899.jpeg
how do u find the pairing of Weiss 501 and Zahl hm1?

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #941 of 1,480
Very neutral when everything is set to default. I have the Weiss set to 0db gain and the HM1. So far every hp I’ve tested sounds great but the susvara needs more power. Adding the +15db on the back of the HM1 distorts badly. I need to set the Weiss to -10db and flip the +15db on the back of the HM1.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #942 of 1,480
Very neutral when everything is set to default. I have the Weiss set to 0db gain and the HM1. So far every hp I’ve tested sounds great but the susvara needs more power. Adding the +15db on the back of the HM1 distorts badly. I need to set the Weiss to -10db and flip the +15db on the back of the HM1.
Gain =/= power

The amp has the same power regardless of gain setting (same for any amp unless gain itself is actually the limiting factor, ie: you're at max on the pot and it's not loud enough)

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #943 of 1,480
Gain =/= power

The amp has the same power regardless of gain setting (same for any amp unless gain itself is actually the limiting factor, ie: you're at max on the pot and it's not loud enough)
So does this go back to what you were saying that "distortion profile makes stuff seem slammy"?

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #944 of 1,480
So does this go back to what you were saying that "distortion profile makes stuff seem slammy"?
Not in this case cause the distortion profile doesn't change. You just get a ~15dB higher noise floor.
In this instance it'd just be an expectation bias effect

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #945 of 1,480
Gain =/= power

Sorry my lack of understanding and limited vocabulary.

So in my case are you saying that the effect I’m perceiving as louder is actually distortion? I need to go back and try that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back