Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #691 of 1,519
Zähl Elektronik-Tontechnik sells amps, not pictures of them. You have the right to ask for photos, but definitely not to "demand" them. It is their choice to reveal the internals or not.
I'm no expert on English but what consumer wants is called consumer demand. Interesting that you choose not to include my whole sentence and my main point.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #692 of 1,519
I am not sure the weight is an issue here. The Benchmark AHB2 weighs 12.5 lbs while the HM1 is 11 pounds but has a separate power supply that weighs almost 3 lbs. so it outweighs the AHB2 in total.

I hear you on the specs, but it is awfully close to doubling:
RMS 4W/30Ω; 7W/15Ω
And its rated Peak power is 11watts. Many HP amps do not even quote RMS weighted specs.

The proof will be in the listening which I hope to do today. Tks.
You are correct but Benchmark does't market the AHB2 as a class A amplifier and does not write that they use a linear PSU. Instead they states that they use a Switching Supply, which is much smaller and lighter.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #693 of 1,519
I'm no expert on English but what consumer wants is called consumer demand.
I’m not an expert either, but native speakers will correct me if I’m wrong. Normally “to demand something” means “to ask for something forcefully” in a way that shows that the other party is obligated to comply with your request. “Consumer demand” is another story.

Interesting that you choose not to include my whole sentence and my main point.
No offense meant. I’ve just highlighted the part I strongly disagree with.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #694 of 1,519
My last post about this topic.

I find it strange that so many people here really trying to silence the people who are asking for proof (photos) that the Zähl HM1 is built as the company advertises it as.

Even stranger IMHO is that the same people apparently like the pictures that @GoldenOne shows on just one part of the PSU in question.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #695 of 1,519
My last post about this topic.

I find it strange that so many people here really trying to silence the people who are asking for proof (photos) that the Zähl HM1 is built as the company advertises it as.

Even stranger IMHO is that the same people apparently like the pictures that @GoldenOne shows on just one part of the PSU in question.

I have been following this whole conversation and I do not think anyone is trying to silence anybody else. Some people have been aggressive in calling this snake oil or a scam or whatever. And others did not like that tone. Pretty simple.

Since one pic was already shared, it would be reasonable to believe that more will come as the new batch is being built. :)

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #696 of 1,519
You and some others here who have bought HM1 blind does it based on reviews or friends who heard it. I have no real problem with that. My issue is that it's not enough for me to even consider ordering the HM1, let alone buy it. When I read about the HM1, I am struck by the fact that it is quite small and light, and if it is something really good class A amplifiers, which can drive hard drive headphones like HE6, usually are, it's quite large and heavy. In addition, a good amplifier can usually double the output power from 30Ω to 15Ω. Something that HM1 does't do according to Zähl's own data. Does it matter? My experience says that it does for TOTL class A amplifiers. That it weighs lightly indicates that they probably do not have a particularly large linear PSU, IMO.

I'm glad you write that you don't fault my skepticism in the least. Because what bothered me, in some previous posts, is not that people buy what they want or what they base their purchase on. My problem is the fact that we should be able to demand that the company show pictures of how their amplifier is built inside without be called names for doing it. This is especially important if the amp is difficult to open up.

My two cents
It’s actually quite heavy and dense, particularly for its size.

And I think everyone here wants to see the internals. Just a few people are insinuating foul play using the lack of pictures thus far as evidence. Which is just silly.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #697 of 1,519
Just to be clear: Michael Zahl has said he's happy to provide pictures. It's just it needs to be once the next batch starts production.

Cant take photos if he doesn't have any units there atm

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #699 of 1,519
Some of you need to get out more instead of camping Zähl with your false concern in hope of some Schadenfreude.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #700 of 1,519
Some of you need to get out more instead of camping Zähl with your false concern in hope of some Schadenfreude.
I heard the amp this afternoon with the Susvara, Stealth and Solitaire P. It made each sound terrific, especially the Susvara. I heard more bass through the Sus than from the Woo Audio amps. 4 other headfiers agreed. It sounds like the real deal. Unfortunately, none are available.

I asked some others to try it tomorrow with their Susvaras as well. Will get more feedback. Tks.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #701 of 1,519
Maybe zahl is worried bill of materials will be discussed and the amp will be reviewed as overpriced (like the enleum review). Not that that will happen with this amp

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #702 of 1,519
Maybe zahl is worried bill of materials will be discussed and the amp will be reviewed as overpriced (like the enleum review). Not that that will happen with this amp
I really doubt he cares that much. This isn't even his main business and he has sold these things out for almost two years from when he first started taking orders. Pro audio is a different mindset.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #704 of 1,519
Enleum have at least one red flag, they stole the Bakoon name outside of Japan. It is not surprising they would capitalise on the name with inferior products.
Afaik the founder just started his own company after falling out with the rest of the Bakoon folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back