Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #406 of 1,487
@Roasty

The Zähl HM1 will breathe new life into your stillborn P 😁

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #407 of 1,487
hopefully end game as my wallet has taken a few large hits recently... lol.
Tell me about it :)
@Roasty

The Zähl HM1 will breathe new life into your stillborn P 😁

NOMAX

PS.lol
Lmao. Can it breathe any life into your stillborn Stealth though?
I find it weird that you love the Utopia so much, and yet you like the Stealth which is the complete opposite from a dynamics perspective.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #408 of 1,487
Tell me about it :)

Lmao. Can it breathe any life into your stillborn Stealth though?
I find it weird that you love the Utopia so much, and yet you like the Stealth which is the complete opposite from a dynamics perspective.

The Stealth is to my ears much more dynamic and impactful than a Susvara is and can be

NOMAX

PS.Don't worry...I heard the Hifiman on the Riviera too😉
(I almost fell asleep during this🙈)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #410 of 1,487
The Stealth is to my ears much more dynamic and impactful than a Susvara is and can be

NOMAX

PS.Don't worry...I heard the Hifiman on the Riviera too😉
(I almost fell asleep during this🙈)
You're one of the few people who's opinion I'd take into consideration that likes the Stealth :p Regarding Susvara...was never a fan, I also find them extremely boring, and can't imagine whatever speaker amp would make them a Utopia. I feel like the Elite have much better bass.
I've been considering a Stealth ever since it came out but it's too polarizing for a blind buy. I really do need a replacement closed back for my Z1R though and there's not much out there.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #412 of 1,487
Trying to make the Susvara a Utopia is missing the point of both of them. They're tuned differently for different use cases. If you do want something in between, try the D8K
Already settled on the Elite for now, no way to try the D8k. For me, a headphone that is only good with certain music is missing the point. And I think it's just something that overzealous owners use for validation. I haven't seen a manufacturer advertise their headphones for certain genres.
It's like having a TV that's only good for sports, and not movies.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #413 of 1,487
Already settled on the Elite for now, no way to try the D8k. For me, a headphone that is only good with certain music is missing the point. And I think it's just something that overzealous owners use for validation. I haven't seen a manufacturer advertise their headphones for certain genres.

That interesting. Tbh I find sus a far better all a rounder than utopia. I do admit it takes a very highly tuned chain to keep sus from being boring though

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #414 of 1,487
Never heard the Elite but I know a lot of people love it very much, I'm happy for you you found what works for you with everything.
I don't think the Susvara nor the Utopia are good only for certain types of music. They are amazing with everything. But in the TOTL category, imo you can't be the best in everything and with the way music is composed and created it's inevitable that tuning decisions will affect what a pair is good at. Music itself is contradicting a generic tuning that'll just be the best for everything imo
If you look at other high end categories - cars and watches for example - it's the same. Different cars for different use cases and different styles of watches for different occasions.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #415 of 1,487
That interesting. Tbh I find sus a far better all a rounder than utopia. I do admit it takes a very highly tuned chain to keep sus from being boring though
I'll do a shootout with the Sus, LCD-5 and Utopia 2022 vs the Elites when my HM1 finally gets here (early march is the current estimation). Said it before, If the HM1+ Rossini (which has amazing dynamics and bass) can't make it slam...nothing will for me. In contrast, the Elites even on the Oor have a pretty tactile sound.
One of the tracks I've been using recently for evaluating this is
1673625167227.png

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #416 of 1,487
I'll do a shootout with the Sus, LCD-5 and Utopia 2022 vs the Elites when my HM1 finally gets here (early march is the current estimation). Said it before, If the HM1+ Rossini (which has amazing dynamics and bass) can't make it slam...nothing will for me. In contrast, the Elites even on the Oor have a pretty tactile sound.
One of the tracks I've been using recently for evaluating this is
1673625167227.png
Whut? This has such deep good bass mid bass quantity and blacks with zen one sig /qutest and anni with the Susvara. Easy peasy.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #418 of 1,487
You're one of the few people who's opinion I'd take into consideration that likes the Stealth :p Regarding Susvara...was never a fan, I also find them extremely boring, and can't imagine whatever speaker amp would make them a Utopia. I feel like the Elite have much better bass.
I've been considering a Stealth ever since it came out but it's too polarizing for a blind buy. I really do need a replacement closed back for my Z1R though and there's not much out there.

The Stealth is the most complete model of all that I know...and i know all very very well 😉
(Put it on today...my ears tell me the same as I got it 👍)

After all, it's the models that polarize and become classics ... just like the Utopia👍
(Those who own the Stealth and the Nutopia can sit back satisfied for a long time)
Why not with the old Utopia and Stealth?
Simply because the Stealth does the treble reproduction better than the old Utopia
(And in the low end the Nutopia is superior to the Stealth and the old Utopia)

Zähl HM1 with the Stealth is a great combo...when the soundstage knob is on level one 👍
Yes there is also that I raise my thumbs for what I do not have and will not have, because the playback for me over headphones in the future will look different
And this in the foreseeable future will no longer be operated with stationary analog components

NOMAX

PS.Except my marble stone

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #419 of 1,487
After all, it's the models that polarize and become classics ... just like the Utopia👍
(Those who own the Stealth and the Nutopia can sit back satisfied for a long time)
Why not with the old Utopia and Stealth?
Simply because the Stealth does the treble reproduction better than the old Utopia
(And in the low end the Nutopia is superior to the Stealth and the old Utopia)
Well I did like the old Utopia, will audition the new one, but not sure It can beat the Elites for me. I take it you're not a fan of the Elites? It's a mix
I just might place an order for a Stealth after the Hm1 gets here.
Zähl HM1 with the Stealth is a great combo...when the soundstage knob is on level one 👍
Yes there is also that I raise my thumbs for what I do not have and will not have, because the playback for me over headphones in the future will look different
And this in the foreseeable future will no longer be operated with stationary analog components
Yeah I'm sure it is since Michael chose it to demo to HM1 with. I get that, for a closed back would be very useful for a very long time. If only it was easier to drive and I could actually make use of that portability they're going on about :) Can a Mojo2 get them to sound decent? Or a Hugo 2?
Might also make sense to wait for an updated Stealth , or the Abyss closed back for a while.
PS.Except my marble stone
I actually considered this as well instead of my current setup but It just feels too limiting for the price point. Not to mention I love my dacs :p

Jan 14, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #420 of 1,487
fomo. deposit paid. hope it is worth the wait; eta May 2023. hopefully end game as my wallet has taken a few large hits recently... lol.
My wallet has been on life support since late 2021 due to this hobby (and me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back